IGNORED

How many pure crap shots do you hit a round?

chilly
Note: This thread is 4999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I guess I should provide a definition of "pure crap" =).

I don't like bad swings that result in a hook/push, but they're going to happen, even the pros do this regularly (DJ's drive on 18 in the PGA comes to mind). What I can't stand is the easy "mental" errors that can be eliminated without any better swing or consistency...the horrible skulled iron from 80yds that almost kills the guys on the tee behind the green, or the decel 5yd chip that dribbles two feet. They're the worst. I shot an 82, which is my second lowest round, a couple months ago and counted five...five...of these type of shots. It takes a LOT of work to build consistency in your swing, I'd say close to a year to find three strokes out on the course just through swing refinements for most normal guys. But imagine if we could eliminate these "stupid" mistake, quick 3 strokes a round. Even if we got rid of two a round or so, that's huge.

Oh well, I think I'll keep working on my pre-shot routine and trying to focus on every shot, one day I'd love to play a clean round with none of these mistakes.

Also, thinking about it, there's only one guy I've played with that really never pulled one of these deals, he was a solid 2hcp. Everyone else down to a 6hcp I've seen chunk an easy chip. In some way, it gives me comfort that I'm not alone, but on the other hand it scares me because apparently it's not that easy to overcome if "everyone" does it with some regularity. Just one more cross to bear with this game.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

A usual round for me would be 6 pars, 6 bogies, 1-2 birdies, 2 doubles, and an 8. I don't discriminate; I use every club in the bag and hit every combination of good and bad shot with all of them. The most frustrating to me is when I try to get cute with the wedge from 30-50 yds in and hit a "lateral".

Man if I could go a round with out a snow man.....

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hit a lot of crap shots,...... I'm gone from the game for 3 weeks at a time for work, and when I get back and it's like starting all over,....
thus a 94 yesterday,... we were late and didn't get a chance to hit balls, big mistake,... ouch, bunch of penalties, O.B's, lake shots, lost balls and a handful of 3 putts,... oh well,... but I played it down and counted them all and still had a blast!!!

I also think that the worst part of my game is the putting.
I barely have 1 putts unless I'm like within 4 feets from the hole.
I three putt quite often, sometimes even 4
When I'm real good, I putt around 35, but many times it's over 40. Ugh.

My scores are consistent in the low 90s.
What's the average putting strokes for a bogey golfer?

Dan

In my Revolver bag:

| Driver | Burner 460 9.5°
| Wood | Burner Plus 3 wood
| Hybrid | 22° Rescue Dual| Irons | MX-300 / Grads| Wedge | Spin milled 54°, 60°| Putter | Studio Newport 2.5 35"| Balls | NXT, Pro V1x DDH SF Tour, Pinnacle logo overruns :)

I usually hit about 90 pure crap shots and 10 or so decent ones and maybe 2 or 3 good ones. I took a lot of those off of my card by chipping A LOT LESS. If I can I use an 8 iron with a bump and run and its 1000 tiems easier than trying to flop or hit short chips.

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

Usually somewhere around 3-5 just totally wasted shots for me a round. Total chip shot chunkage is usually the culprit.

"Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."- John Wayne

My scores are consistent in the low 90s.

I'm averaging mid to high 90s at the moment, but my average putts per round is about 35 right now, according to the stats I keep. That's not very fair, though, because I get on the green from chips or short pitches a lot.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I'm averaging mid to high 90s at the moment, but my average putts per round is about 35 right now, according to the stats I keep. That's not very fair, though, because I get on the green from chips or short pitches a lot.

Good point-my avg number of putts didn't change all that much even as I moved from a 12-14 handicap down to a 6-8 handicap. I became a better putter, but I was also hitting a lot more greens so less opportunities to chip it close to the pin from off the green.

I shot 86 today but only had 26 putts, so today I hit 60 pure crap shots. It would've been funny if it wasn't so annoying. I topped 5 drives, I sliced, I hooked, I hit them fat and thin and I definitely shouldn't have stayed so long at my work function last night.

What's in my Eagles & Birdies Bag:
taylormade.gif R9 SuperTri Stiff 10.5˚
mizuno.gif MX-700 15˚ 3W Stiff
mizuno.gif MX-700 20˚ & 23˚ Hybrid Stiff
mizuno.gif MP 52 4-PW Nippon 950 Stiffmizuno.gif MP - T 10 52˚/07˚ & 58˚/10˚ping.gif Redwood Anser 34"titleist.gif Pro V1x FJD   

I would say I hit about 3-6 downright crappy shots a round.....Not that all of those other shots are good but they are managable. Those 3-6 shots are ones that i know im completely capable of doing fairly well but I just F*ck em up so bad! Nothing more makes me angry in a good round. I think its just a lock of concentration when your playing well and you think its an easy shot and then POOF there goes my score in the 70's. What can I say its golf.

Driver: R5 XL with Fujikira Stiff Shaft
3Wood: T60 Ignite
Irons: 735 CM with S300 Shafts
56 Degree: Carnoustie Black
60 Degree: Carnoustie BlackPutter: 34" Mini T White IceBall: : WhateverShoes: Icon Snake SkinGolf is the only sport where they encourage drug use and its not illegal,...

Idon't understand this statement, I am a bogey golfer but technically the short chips should be closer to the cup hence less putts. I think no matter where you are at in the game, putting average is still pretty consistent. I am to the point where my "crappy shots" leave me about 15-20 feet from the hole and I am a good enough putter to get in with two putts which is why I have so few birdies and so many bogey's and double bogeys however I am increasing the amount of pars.

Your game is similar B-con, you just take a few strokes longer and probably chip or pitch it far from the hole like I do and 2 putt consistently with the occasional 3 and 1 putts. I think people get to 5-10 handicaps and they putt about 1.5 times per hole roughly.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Note: This thread is 4999 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!