IGNORED

What Ball Is Everybody Playing?

On 8/26/2022 at 3:24 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

For some people, that may be true.

For me it all boils down to what I can see the best!

395644-Yellow-Orange-Srixon-Q-Star-Tour-Divide-12-Ball-Pack-2.thumb.jpg.4e4a76a6ca7297b0f1d91bcc79901998.jpg

I honestly don't think I could stand on the tee and hit those. It would be as much of a "Mind F" as trying to hit a square driver.

11 hours ago, Big Lex said:

Curious how many have tried the "off" brads like Vice, Volvik, Piper, etc. 

I wonder how much difference it really makes to the average golfer. I won an event the other day using Wilson Duo (it was cold, I wanted low driver spin, worked).  I'm not losing many these days, so am opting for name brand balls.  I defintely can tell the difference though between (just for example) Titleist Velocity and ProV1x.

In a strange way, I think that if you're losing so many blls tht cost is an issue, then you have to work on control before worrying about what ball.  Is that harsh?  

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 hours ago, bking said:

I honestly don't think I could stand on the tee and hit those. It would be as much of a "Mind F" as trying to hit a square driver.

Ha ha, square driver. I got a buddy who has an old Nike Square Driver in the bag. It literally sounds like he's hitting the ball with an empty soup can. 

Having said that. The Srixon Divide isn't a problem at all. You can use one of three approaches. 

1. You can set it up so you can only see one color on the tee.
  2. You can use the dividing line to aim it down the fairway or where-ever your target is.
  3. (My method) you can randomly place it down and not worry about it. 

I will say I've played with a lot of folks who say they are too freaky. They've even used the Mind F phrase from time to time. But I have to say. I really like them and they are fun to play. (Which is good for me, because I still have 3 dozen in the closet in my office.) 

22 hours ago, Big Lex said:

Curious how many have tried the "off" brads like Vice, Volvik, Piper, etc. 

Had Srixon never come out with the divide I would still be playing the Volvik. I played the sherbet orange Volvik almost exclusively for 3-4 years. 

10 hours ago, mohearn said:

I definitely can tell the difference though between (just for example) Titleist Velocity and ProV1x.

You picked a good example here. The Velocity and the ProV1 are probably the least similar balls in the Titleist range. I would be surprised if even a bad golfer couldn't tell the difference between these two in the short game. Off the tee, possibly not. But the way they behave in the short game is very different. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

On 8/26/2022 at 3:24 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

For some people, that may be true.

For me it all boils down to what I can see the best!

There are times where I will go out and play golf when the leaves have turned that exact same color. I would have to say no to those golf balls after October 1st, at least where I live 😛

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

7 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

There are times where I will go out and play golf when the leaves have turned that exact same color. I would have to say no to those golf balls after October 1st, at least where I live 😛

Yea, fall is not the best time of year for yellow or orange golf balls.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Definitely not this two-piece ball at $90.00 per dozen… (oh well, tried to post the link on Amazon)  - just do a search for “Callaway Diablo Hex” 

Edited by WillieT
Bad link

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

On 10/18/2022 at 7:00 AM, ChetlovesMer said:

You picked a good example here. The Velocity and the ProV1 are probably the least similar balls in the Titleist range. I would be surprised if even a bad golfer couldn't tell the difference between these two in the short game. Off the tee, possibly not. But the way they behave in the short game is very different. 

Really noticed that in the game around the green.  Been using some Srixon Z-Star XV’s and they stop on a dime on the green compared to low end Wilsons that hit, bounce and roll through. Distance off the tee is comparable.  I am not losing balls like I used to, so higher end balls are cost effective.  So maybe I will start using the nearly 7 dozen Pro-V1 and V1x balls I was gifted a few weeks back.  They are “older” models circa 09 thru 14.  Begs to ask how “old” is too “old” when using nearly new balls (no visible signs of wear on 90% of them) such as these.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

1 hour ago, WillieT said:

Really noticed that in the game around the green.  Been using some Srixon Z-Star XV’s and they stop on a dime on the green compared to low end Wilsons that hit, bounce and roll through. 

Makes a difference. I played today and used inexpensive ionomer cover balls (Wilson) to match my opponents (as a challenge) and I was off the green many times despite clear ballmarks on front half of green.  Was raining, not sure if that contrubutes to blls not stopping. However I have to say, when I use ProV1x off the tee, I notice more spin and they drift a bit more on me.  

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, deadon500 said:

I have been a Bridgestone guy for a long time. Playing a lot of B330 , B330s ,  B12s now I play E6.   Being 70  it is the best ball for me.

I've started playing e6 lately too. Really nice mix of speed and touch, at least in terms of my game.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 months later...

Newbie jumping in here.  I have been playing with the Taylormade tour response.  Great ball for the money IMO. 

Not promoting them but I get quality used balls from lost balls .com.

Am playing Inesis Soft 500 as my daily use ball because it is cheap and still gives me some of the performance I need.  For tournaments I am playing the Inesis Tour 900.  It is a proper three piece tour ball.  Would love to use this every time I play, but vitamin M is an issue

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I told my family I like these:
f-whiteyellow-v.jpg.cc38525c572f52776561a87e26f728f5.jpg

My family is pretty good about getting people what they actually want and will use. I got six dozen for Christmas. They are in my office closet. I also picked up some more because there was a sale at Dicks. I got them for $32.99/doz and buy 2 get 1 free. So that's like what... five and a half bucks per sleeve?.... I don't know math is hard and I went to Ch!cago PubIic SchooIs. 

There's currently another thread going about people who dislike anything but completely white golf balls. But I find these easier to see both in the sky and on the ground. If they start making the Z-Star Divide in Orange/Yellow like they make the Q-star Tour Divide, I will immediately switch to that. I find the orange and yellow combo even better on my old eyes. 

BTW - I don't use the line as a putting line when on the course. I find that using a putting line takes me forever to set up and it's never quite pointing where I want it anyway. I also don't point a "clean" side up either. I just putt 'em like they are. 👍

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Being the hacker I am, its either been the Callaway Supersoft or Wilson Duo.

Naturally, the lower the spin the better given the way I spray it all over the place. My shots onto the green are wedge shots most of the time anyway, so I don't think I miss the extra spin very much there.

The lower price point of these balls is obviously a factor. 

It may sound dumb, but I feel like I got better speed control on my putts with the extremely soft-feeling Callaway ball. Slightly less so with the Duo. 

One thing that is a requirement for me is that the ball is white. I got something screwed up with my eyes that makes it real hard to pick out colored balls in grass. Even the yellow ones are hard for me.

I’ve been playing ProV1 this year. Started with them in my simulator and now I’m worried about changing to another ball when I’m outside. I’d like to try the Bridgestone TourBRX because my driver swing speed is around 90. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2+

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a ProV1 guy for a long time, but recently started playing the Maxfli Tour after seeing testing on MGS. Ball performs about as well and the alignment aids are really good for putting.

• 2 months later...

I would love if the sand trap guys would test a Vice ball.  All the reviews say they perform the same or better as pro v1’s.  If you buy in bulk, you can get them $20 per dozen cheaper than pro V’s.

Don’t know if the Sand Trap has a sponsorship with Titelist, but if they don’t and find out the vice balls are just as good, it might be something to look into.