IGNORED

Golf… After Back Surgery — Anybody Have Story to Tell?

mcotter

Had severe back spasms after running about 4 months ago.  It went away and thought I was fine and then I was on the range one day and stated to feel some slight pain in my left glute area.  Over a 2 week period it developed into pain all down my left leg but no numbness.

Had an MRI done and found out I have a slight bulge in the L4-5 area, but the pain is being caused by an annular tear in the disk. 

As of right now no surgery.  Doing some yoga, lighter exercise at the gym, and no golf (except putting and chipping) for the next 6-8 weeks.  Pain is starting to go away but any twisting is going to flare it up again until the tear repairs itself.

All I can say is that I never realized why back pain is so debilitating to folks in general and especially golfers until I had this incident. Literally have lost 10 MPH to my swing speed. I tried speeding it up and the body just would not allow me to.  My appreciation for being able to play golf (good or bad golf) has gone up exponentially after this injury.

I play against a friend who had back surgery a few years ago. He was unable to play until last summer, and now has to use a very short and restricted swing. He is a lovely bloke, but to be honest his golf is complete rubbish. 

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

• 7 years later...

I'm reviving this old thread, rather than start a new one, because I'm apparently on the path towards back surgery.  When I was in Ohio for the TST outing, I had a few stabbing pains in my legs while warming up.  I was able to work past them, and played OK, but in the week following the pain worsened and became more consistent.  Of course I HAD to go to Pinehurst, to fulfil my commitment as a marshal, but the walking and standing on Monday and Tuesday only worsened the pain.  I watched the entire tournament from my sofa, instead of at my marshal position around the first tee.

Since coming home, I've been in too many doctor offices.  Had x-rays, CT scan, and MRI.  The final diagnosis, bilateral (both legs) sciatica (nerve pain) due to spinal stenosis.  Its largely degenerative, due to both genetics and aging.  I may have done something to cause the relatively sudden flare-up, but I can't identify anything specific. I've been on meds, doing stretching and exercises to improve core strength, but the doctor says the only real "cure" will require some type of surgery.  Surgery isn't right on the horizon, I'll almost certainly get x-ray guided steroid injections within the next few weeks.  If they work as hoped, I can return to normal life for at least a while.  I'll try to keep posting as I go through the process.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Golf… After Back Surgery — Anybody Have Story to Tell?
  • Administrator

Sorry to hear that, but I feared it was going to go that way after our texts.

"Youth is wasted on the young."

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Since coming home, I've been in too many doctor offices.  Had x-rays, CT scan, and MRI.  The final diagnosis, bilateral (both legs) sciatica (nerve pain) due to spinal stenosis.  Its largely degenerative, due to both genetics and aging.  I may have done something to cause the relatively sudden flare-up, but I can't identify anything specific. I've been on meds, doing stretching and exercises to improve core strength, but the doctor says the only real "cure" will require some type of surgery.  Surgery isn't right on the horizon, I'll almost certainly get x-ray guided steroid injections within the next few weeks.  If they work as hoped, I can return to normal life for at least a while.  I'll try to keep posting as I go through the process.

Man, sorry to hear about that. I hope some PT and meds can help out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm reviving this old thread, rather than start a new one, because I'm apparently on the path towards back surgery.  When I was in Ohio for the TST outing, I had a few stabbing pains in my legs while warming up.  I was able to work past them, and played OK, but in the week following the pain worsened and became more consistent.  Of course I HAD to go to Pinehurst, to fulfil my commitment as a marshal, but the walking and standing on Monday and Tuesday only worsened the pain.  I watched the entire tournament from my sofa, instead of at my marshal position around the first tee.

Sorry to hear, Dave. Hope you get some relief before having to go the surgery route.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Very sorry to hear that, hope you're back on the course ASAP!

Just a suggestion that I often see overlooked, so I'm gonna try my best to help here, even if it is not the solution for you:

Give dry needling a go. Get it from a DPT. Talk to medical professionals about it. 

Dry needling (DN) is a standard procedure for treating musculoskeletal disorders. However, there are no clear recommendations for using DN in low back pain (LBP). Therefore, this study aimed to assess the effectiveness of...

I've been tweeting at the Chasing Scratch Pod to get Eli some dry needling before any kind of hip/back surgery. They liked both tweets I've sent them, but they probably didn't listen, which I understand. I'm just some guy over the internet. 

But is a massage gun effective at all against the back pain? I've had back pain refer down my leg but that pain was from taut bands around the spine and not the discs. 

If dry needling fails, oh well. At least you tried another option in attempt to avoid surgery. It will only take a handful of sessions to realize if it's not helping. 

Dry needling is a technique regularly used at Spargo Physical Therapy to reduce muscular pain, muscle spasms, improve tissue mobility and restore normal motion. In some cases dry needling may even be effective for...

I've had my erector spinae muscles dry needled often in the past year, and to me, they feel like disc related pain even though they aren't. I'm not saying you're in the same boat, but who knows. 

Very sorry in advance if this isn't the solution, but again, I'm sure your doctor(s) would agree you should exhaust all options before back surgery. Dry needling is very often overlooked as an option.

Regardless of what happens, I hope your symptoms resolve ASAP and you're back to playing this maddening game!

• Thumbs Up 1

Constantine

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Sorry to hear that, but I feared it was going to go that way after our texts.

"Youth is wasted on the young."

Yea, I was kind of expecting the news, especially after reading the CT and MRI reports.

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Man, sorry to hear about that. I hope some PT and meds can help out. 

Thanks, PT and meds are definitely helping with the symptoms, but can't address the root cause.  No matter their impact now, PT will definitely put me in a better position to recover when the surgery actually happens.

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Sorry to hear, Dave. Hope you get some relief before having to go the surgery route.

Me too!  If the steroid injections are effective, they could give months to even a few years before surgery is required.  I just finished a course of oral steroids, and they won't give the injection until at least two weeks has passed.  

1 hour ago, JetFan1983 said:

Very sorry to hear that, hope you're back on the course ASAP!

Just a suggestion that I often see overlooked, so I'm gonna try my best to help here, even if it is not the solution for you:

Give dry needling a go. Get it from a DPT. Talk to medical professionals about it. 

But is a massage gun effective at all against the back pain? I've had back pain refer down my leg but that pain was from taut bands around the spine and not the discs. 

I appreciate the suggestions.  At one of my PT sessions, I've had both dry needling and a massage gun, with very little discernable impact.  As far as I've heard from the spine doc, mine isn't a muscle issue as much as disc deterioration and bone growth constricting the the spinal canal.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

4 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Oh man! Sorry to hear but at the same rate surgery is root cause address if that is where you certainly end up. From what I understand they are not terribly invasive. So there's that.  

Vishal S.

12 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

From what I understand they are not terribly invasive.

I think there are a number of different surgical procedures available, from minimally invasive to really significant.  I have no idea what type I might need, just working through the normal steps from minimal (meds and PT) to steroid injections and eventually to surgery.  

At least I'm feeling less pain, I'm planning to get back to my referee work, starting with two days this week and three days next week.  I feel just fine sitting in a golf cart.  I need to get out of the house before Mary Anne kills me!

• Like 1

Dave

6 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Must be something about golfing in Ohio! I haven’t played since then. I injured my hip before the trip and played through it and the lessons in Erie. Compensating did a number on my left SI joint. I’m very familiar with SI joint injuries too since I dealt with my right SI since a high school injury. That was a long time ago.

I hope you can delay surgery and recover somewhat with the injections. I’ve had that done too on my right side. You still have to do the work, but it does help. Good luck.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Give "every" avenue a thorough look before surgery.   Don't rule out anything that will give you relief.   Do your homework for every doctor you deal with.   From experience, I wish you well.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I hope you discover some good alternative to surgery. We need you back on the golf course.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Brian Kuehn

I had a L4/5 discectomy about 25 years ago. In my case the disc had ruptured on both sides of my spine and pinched nerves on both sides.  I described my pain as someone was always walking behind me stabbing me in the back of both legs with an ice pick or pouring acid down the back of my legs. My whole lower body would go numb and I frequently tripped over my own feet because I couldn't feel them when I walked.  It sucked.  

I tried PT and chiropractors, neither of which helped. Never tried the steroid shots though. I suffered for about 9 months before I finally had surgery. I knew as soon as I woke up that I was better. Within a week I was walking 3 miles a day. My only real restriction was I was told not to sit in a chair, so I could work for something like 6 weeks or maybe even more. I assume current techniques are better and the return to work is quicker.

Unfortunately I did not play much golf afterwards, mainly due to our first kid being born about 9 months after surgery. I didn't play much until my youngest got into golf when he was a junior into high school. My back had nothing to do with me not playing. Since surgery, I have played golf, snow skied, and lifted heavy weights with the only thing holding me back being my overall poor fitness. I have had a lot of other problems (hernias x3, gall bladder, pulmonary embolism, basal cell carcinoma, etc., but none of them related to my back.

YMMV

• Like 2

War Eagle!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2024 at 10:24 AM, DaveP043 said:

I'll try to keep posting as I go through the process.

The process is frustratingly slow, but I'm scheduled to get the epidural steroid injection Thursday, two days from now.  From everything I've learned, it may be a couple of days before I'll know how effective it is, but I'm hopeful I can return to something like normal life for  a while.  At least I've been able to do my rules work, being outdoors is a lot better than sitting on my backside all day.   I even added another event, a junior match play competition matching Maryland against Virginia, to be held in Williamsburg, VA.  Foursomes, Fourballs, and singles matches.  

• Thumbs Up 5

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear favorable outcomes from taking the injections. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 3 weeks later...