IGNORED

Anyone ever walk away from a bucket?

JML22
Note: This thread is 4951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hurray!!! I just did... it's the bucket in the upstairs closet, and it's raining like H≪ out today due to the Tropical Storm, and my roof repair is working! There's a spider web inside it and the spider isn't swimming! I can wait to go to the range when we dry out in New England! Then I'll get rid of the spider.

~Tom B.

I ordered a Chicken and an Egg on the Internet, to find out which came first... I'll keep you posted!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about grinding always being unproductive. Some days I've hit hundreds of bad shots before starting to hit some good ones, and those are usually the days I really learn something about my swing.

Hundreds? If I ever had the time to hit hundreds of range balls in a single session, I was playing golf instead. I know that the pros do it, but I've never known anyone who would hit more than a couple of baskets at one time... and even that is unusual in my crowd.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I might start hitting 75+ a day
grooves your muscles a bit better for a round of golf maybe i wont get exausted by 18

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

I was hitting a bucket the other day (80) and was hitting everything well. I went through my clubs quickly and hit the perfect wedge. I decided that I was done right there and still had about 15 balls. I walked away and started putting. Normally this doesn't happen.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Yup, just the other day in fact. I normally get my buckets in 50 ball increments and there are times I will only hit one bucket in a session, sometimes 3 buckets. But if I sense my swing just is not feeling right, I'll leave right then and there. I've had times where my body just felt tired and it only leads to frustration and compensating - no good.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

Happens a lot; range comes with my membership, so it doesn't matter. Range practice is all about feel and results for me, so there's not a premium placed on ball counting. I'll either bring the unused bucket back to the shed, or leave them with someone at the range. If my son is with me, he will burn through them for me while I hit the putting green.

If it is really bad and I am not feeling it or less often if it is going great and I hit 5 in a row like I want, I will quit and go chip and putt. If others are still slugging I will offer them my remainders.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I've only walked away from a bucket when I'm warming up before my tee time and it comes time to tee off.

Driver: 4DX SuperMag 10.5º
Fairway Wood: 4DX 3-Wood
Hybrids: 5DX 3, 4
Irons: 4DX Pro 5-PW
Wedges: Arc 52º, 54º, VR 58ºPutter(s): SeeMore FGP OriginalBag: Org.14 Xtreme

Only when I didn't have time left to finish the balls before my tee time, and I think I've done that only once. I never walk away from a bucket or a game, no matter how bad I'm playing. When hitting a bucket, I can always just switch to easier clubs and slower swings. If I have to, I'll just pitch with my 9i with a 3/4 swing, but I'll finish the bucket (even if I got it for free).

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Hundreds? If I ever had the time to hit hundreds of range balls in a single session, I was playing golf instead. I know that the pros do it, but I've never known anyone who would hit more than a couple of baskets at one time... and even that is unusual in my crowd.

Different numbers of practice strokes for different folks.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Half an hour? HA!

Ouch! I have a range litterally 2 minutes from my house. But it is all mats. 30 Minutes to a very nice grass range that is even reasonably priced. Only issue is it is in a large valley that constantly has wind. (unless I hit it early morning but then there is usually a decent crowd, in the afternoon it is like a ghost town) Wind in the face about 15 to 20 MPH. But it actually is good wind practice and has improved my wind play big time.

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

Ouch

And I'm assuming no traffic in those numbers.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I've came around to the idea of doing 100+ ball sessions so my body can get used to the hitting 50+ shots or whatever that i'll have to on the course
if i just hit 35 or wahtever my body never really gets used to a full round of golf then i just fall apart on the 15th -18th hole

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

I've came around to the idea of doing 100+ ball sessions so my body can get used to the hitting 50+ shots or whatever that i'll have to on the course

35 balls is a warmup for me. my usual practice sessions go anywhere from 150 to 250 balls depending on the day.

I goto the range probably 2 times or so per week...On a rainy saturday, I usually drop my gf off at work and go straight to the range and hit 2 jumbo buckets. Like you, I practice to get my muscles trained. I know when I haven't played for awhile, i'm not getting the shoulder turn, tempo is a bit off, and everything just isn't as flowy as it usually is if I practice often. a lot of people will say 150-250 balls is ridiculous but its just what i'm used to. when i played in HS, training was around 300 balls after school. I believe I read an interview where KJ Choi forces himself to hit 1000 balls a day. Even if he's tired or not in the mood to golf, he dedicates himself to 1000 balls, split into 2 or 3 range sessions per day.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

a lot of people will say 150-250 balls is ridiculous but its just what i'm used to. when i played in HS, training was around 300 balls after school.

It makes sense. I was taught to set your practice workload beyond the anticipated workload of the event your participating in so you're performance is not impacted by fatigue.

Joe Paradiso

yeah no you have to hit huge buckets or yuo just get tired by the 12th hole and start blowing up

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

Don't think I ever have. If I get worn out or just start hitting it bad, I'll take a break. If that does not help, I'll just finish off the bucket by hitting small punch shots.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I've hit 1/2 a bucket a few times - if everything feels good and I'm running out of time, I shut it down and go do a few minutes at the chipping green.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!