IGNORED

Hook or Slice?

8.5_Drive
Note: This thread is 4941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you could choose your poisin, what would it be?

To battle a hook or a slice?
Superlight 3.5 Bag
TM Superfast Driver
TM Superfast 3 Wood

Cleveland Hybore Hybrid
X-24 4-SW Irons
Ping Tour 54 - 62 WedgesOriginal Anser Putter Pro V1

A hook, if only for a change of pace.

What's in my Tartan Precise TS-869 Bag:
Woods: Northwestern 1W, 3W, stock grip
Hybrids: 855 Graphite shaft 3H, 4H, Golf Pride Tour Wrap midsize grips
Irons: 855 R flex steel shaft 5-PW, Golf Pride Tour Wrap midsize grips
Wedges: PureSpin Tour Series Diamond Face 52* AW, 56* SW, 60* LW, Golf Pride...

slice, easily. I've been battling a hook all year, a nasty one, and you simply can not play with it. I at least feel like I could possibly control a slice.

I think a hook and slice result from two very similar swings - both over the top.

You can talk to a slice but a hook won't listen :D During a round I seem to be able to straighten out a hook quicker than a slice but for overall scoring.. Hook is the devil. Trees don't stop it most of the time

I'd say slice. I alternately slice and hook my driver, woods, hybrid, and long irons, but with my mid and short irons, I never hit it very far right. I can still hook the ball left, but to the right all I get are gentle push-fades. This leads me to believe that with the shorter clubs, my "slice" swing has less effect than my "hook" swing; that a slice just doesn't hurt as much as a hook with a highly lofted face. So therefore I'd choose slice.

-Andrew

Id trade my push/pull (idk which one goes which way) for a slight fade/hook so that I could aim my iron shots again.
 Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

• Administrator
I think a hook and slice result from two very similar swings - both over the top.

No. Read up on the ball flight laws.

My answer is a hook. I'm always more comfortable just opening up my stance than closing it. But, well, that answer is forced because I know what causes each so I'd never be forced to "battle" with one for long.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

hook for sure

my swing is closer to being good when i play a bit of a draw
when im slicing the ball, my timing and everything is wrong and its tough to get out of it (for me anyways)

when i can stand on the tee box, and play a nice little baby draw......dreams come true
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

I battled a slice all season and seem to have developed a hook now

Same here. Once I fixed my slice a couple of years ago, I started to hit a horrible hook on mishits.

When I intentionally try to hit a slice, the ball goes straight. Ugh. Dan

In my Revolver bag:

| Driver | Burner 460 9.5°
| Wood | Burner Plus 3 wood
| Hybrid | 22° Rescue Dual| Irons | MX-300 / Grads| Wedge | Spin milled 54°, 60°| Putter | Studio Newport 2.5 35"| Balls | NXT, Pro V1x DDH SF Tour, Pinnacle logo overruns :)

Hook. Easier for me to fix and I'm probably hitting better shots than if I were slicing.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

It depends. Is it random or always there with every drive? I could eventually learn to play for a slice but a hook is usually dead. I play for a draw right now and starting the ball on the left side of the course would take some adjustment.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Are we talking a hook or a duck hook? I was flighting a slice last year. Seemed like the more I tried to compensate to "play it" - the worse it got. So I took a few lessons to fix it. This year, whenever I miss hit it, my miss is usually a hook. I seem to be in better/more salvagable positions with the result of a hook than I was with my slice. With my slice I was loosing a lot of distance and typically playing from another fairway. When I hook it, I seem to get more distance and find that I'm perhaps just in the tree line. But again...it all depends on the severity of the slice or hook.

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

Hook. Partially because I hate the look of a high slice that just keeps drifting and drifting and drifting. At least with a hook it's done and over with. The other reason is because I don't want to be in the 90+% of golfers who slice the ball.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I have a natural draw, but when it all goes south it becomes a hook. If I was going to battle one or the other I'd pick battling a slice. Most courses I play seem to be more forgiving for a left to right player.

Hook. B/C generally it is from a more sound swing than slice.

I already have a natural draw that turns into a quacker once in blue moon.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 4941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!