IGNORED

What Ball Do You Play??

Note: This thread is 4712 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was going to try to pick one ball this year and play it.  I was debating between Gamer V2 and TP Black.  I was really wringing my hands over which one to play, but excited about it for some reason i cannot explain.  Then SWMBO bought me a dozen pro V1x's for valentine's day.  Oddly, i was a little disappointed, haha.  I was really focused on picking and sticking with one, and I won't regularly pay for the pro V1's.

Once I run through the pro v1x's i'll probably buy a sleeve of TP black and a sleeve of gamer v2 and make a decision.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I normally play a Pro V1, but will experiment from time to time.  I still have a few Pro V's from last season left over that I'll use up, but after that it's the Srixzon Z-star's.  I like the ball a lot, and I just got a good deal at Dick's, so I bought 4 dozen.  Hopefully GMac will win the masters and I'll get even more!

Right now going through a box of Wilson Staff Fifty Elites-much better performance than I expected.  When I lose or damage the ones I got left I'll go back to the Maxfli C3 Gold/Blacks I have stored up, but I'll definitely be buying more of the Fifty Elites (or current equivalent) at some point.

• Upvote 1

Last year I mainly played Titleist NXT's, Srixon Z-Stars, a Taylormade Penta's. I loved the Pentas but my wedges ate them up fast and with their price just couldn't justify it. I mainly played the NXT balls but at the end of the season I was playing on the Srixon Z-Stars and I really liked those. This year my plan is for any tournament I will play the Z-Stars and for regular daily play I will use mid-range Titleist or Srixon balls.

Originally Posted by IUHoosierMatt

I play with the Pro V1 x, but definitely don't make it all the way around with one ball.  I tend to shred the covers whenever hitting wedge shots.  I am actually hoping that a combination of the new Vokey Spin Mill CC and new Pro V1 X will negate this a little.  Gets expensive shredding a couple balls each round.

The same here, i changed to the CALLAWAY HX HOT BITES

Right now, Gamer v2's.  Bought a 15 ball pack at the end of summer after all the raving and the fact that I also like the D2 Feel alot.  Liked them pretty well and got 2 more dz. for $18 when local store had 2 for 1 sale.  This ball plays better than I thought it would during the soft, wet fall and winter in my area.  Usually play any decent 2 piece ball this time of year since it doesn't matter as much.  I am sitting on 5+ dz. TM Reds for when things get warm and beging to firm up.  I really like the Reds and stocked up when Walmart had them for $21.

In my Bagboy cart bag:
Driver: TM R11s 10.5 R-flex 3W: TM 09 Burner 3H: TM 09 Burner Irons: TM Tour Burner 4-PW r-flex
Wedges: Wilson TW9 GW, Ping Eye 2+ SW, Vokey SM 58.08      Putter:TM Rossa Spider Ball: TM TP/Red LDP, TF Gamer v2   Range Finder: GX-I

I play the ProV1x (2009 Version) and I'm going to contemplate switching (I'll give the dozen I have a try) to the newer version when I finish the 3 dozen 2009s I have.

I tend to experiment with a lot of balls, Bridgestone B330s, TaylorMade Penta, Callaway Tour series and the Srixon Z-Star.

I'm really happy with the ProV1x version so I'm not looking to change to another brand.

Mostly Dunlop DDH's but I've got a pack of Pro V1x's mixed in too.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

Last year I played the Titleist Pro V1x. Once all the snow is gone and the courses open I'll experiment with the new 2011 Pro V1x. I'll probably end up switching, the 2011 Pro V1x is supposed to fly a little higher, and that would be perfect for me.

I like almost everything about the Pro V1x. I find it flies straighter than the Pro V1, without losing the ability to shape shots and manage trajectory. I also love the flatter, penetrating trajectory. Around the greens, it releases a bit more than the Pro V1, and I find that it is more predictable in reacting (check up vs. release vs. skid and stop vs. spin back) to whatever shot you are trying to hit. In my experience, the Pro V1 tends to spin a bit too much for my liking. The firmer feel and sound off the club appeals to me as well. The only thing that I would improve is the durability. After a couple wedge shots, the cover is shredded. In tournaments, I can't play the same ball for more than 4 or 5 holes before having to switch (if I'm just playing a casual round I don't care, I've played the same ball for a couple days). The 2011 Pro V1x is supposed to be more durable, so it should fix this issue.

I haven't really tested any other balls; I would admit that I may be blindly loyal to Titleist. I've tried the Callaway balls, but couldn't stand the look of the dimples and the feel and sound off the club. I've heard lots of good things about Srixon and Bridgestone balls, from the Tour, my buddies, and also on forums like this. I might do a bit of testing with those brands. But it's going to be tough to replace the Titleist Pro V1x in my bag. Gotta trust your Titleist.

Originally Posted by TheOne

Last year I played the Titleist Pro V1x. Once all the snow is gone and the courses open I'll experiment with the new 2011 Pro V1x. I'll probably end up switching, the 2011 Pro V1x is supposed to fly a little higher, and that would be perfect for me.

I like almost everything about the Pro V1x. I find it flies straighter than the Pro V1, without losing the ability to shape shots and manage trajectory. I also love the flatter, penetrating trajectory. Around the greens, it releases a bit more than the Pro V1, and I find that it is more predictable in reacting (check up vs. release vs. skid and stop vs. spin back) to whatever shot you are trying to hit. In my experience, the Pro V1 tends to spin a bit too much for my liking. The firmer feel and sound off the club appeals to me as well. The only thing that I would improve is the durability. After a couple wedge shots, the cover is shredded. In tournaments, I can't play the same ball for more than 4 or 5 holes before having to switch (if I'm just playing a casual round I don't care, I've played the same ball for a couple days). The 2011 Pro V1x is supposed to be more durable, so it should fix this issue.

I haven't really tested any other balls; I would admit that I may be blindly loyal to Titleist. I've tried the Callaway balls, but couldn't stand the look of the dimples and the feel and sound off the club. I've heard lots of good things about Srixon and Bridgestone balls, from the Tour, my buddies, and also on forums like this. I might do a bit of testing with those brands. But it's going to be tough to replace the Titleist Pro V1x in my bag. Gotta trust your Titleist.

I find just the oposite.  The pro-v1   flys lower on iron shots and chips but spins more.  On full shots the x flys higher and spins like crazy on full shots...  The x is like all distance balls they fly higher then the prov but the reason the x is so succesfull is that it still spins around the green..  '

I have tried almost all the balls and nothing works better for me then the pro-v1...  In my mind the greatest ball ever made....

I like the NXT Tours, Bridgestone E6, TM Black TP and Gamer V2.  I get the NXT Tours and TM Black from lostgolfballs.com pretty cheap and the others aren't too expensive new if you find them on sale, so it doesn't hurt so bad when you lose one.

Joe Paradiso

Srixon AD333 or E6.

Driver: Callaway FT-iZ 10*  I  2 Hybrid: Nike VR  I  3&4 Hybrid: Nike Sumo SQ  I  Irons: Ping G10 5-PW, LW,  I  52* & 62*: GigaGolf SGS  I  Putter: Cleveland BRZ #2  I  White things I chase: Srixon AD333

I've always played the NXT tour or might grab some prov1x for a big round. Over the winter my wife has gotten into extreme couponing, and I find I'm getting amazing discounts on certain premium balls. Over the weekend she ended up buying me 2 dozen z stars for $24.99. (don't ask me how it works). I'm starting the season stocked up with 2 dozen z stars, 2 dozen Penta's, and a dozen B330 RX left over last year.

Originally Posted by proguy747

I find just the oposite.  The pro-v1   flys lower on iron shots and chips but spins more.  On full shots the x flys higher and spins like crazy on full shots...  The x is like all distance balls they fly higher then the prov but the reason the x is so succesfull is that it still spins around the green..  '

I have tried almost all the balls and nothing works better for me then the pro-v1...  In my mind the greatest ball ever made....

I really want to disagree with you, because I play something else, but you're right on the money. When I hit a Pro V1 it goes exactly where I want it to go. Best of all, it feels really nice off a crisply struck mid-iron. But, I'm not playing for a living and can't afford them: especially not fond of arguments when you put one in the wrong fairway (even though I mark my ball).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4712 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!