IGNORED

The 2011 Masters - The Main Thread

Chilli Dipper
Note: This thread is 4758 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here's a salute to the top 16 and ties.

Jason Day

Adam Scott

Luke Donald
Geoff Ogilvy

Bo Van Pelt

Ryan Palmer

Edoardo Molinari

Justin Rose

Steve Stricker

Lee Westwood

Ross Fisher

Rory McIlroy

Brandt Snedeker

None of these guys were able to win the Masters, but their performance this weekend was good enough to ensure their place in the 2012 Masters. See you all next year!

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Originally Posted by ghalfaire

I wouldn't count Tiger out just because he is Tiger.  But I'm not putting any money on him either.  His putting isn't very consistent yet but if he get hot he could post a pretty low round tomorrow.  My money says Rory will not fold under pressure and anyone that wants to beat him will have to go very low tomorrow.

Sometimes that crow is pretty salty.

Butch

Anyone know the cut-off to be considered a rookie on the PGA Tour?  Charl Schwartzel has played 37 events prior to this season... so I'm pretty sure he isn't considered a rookie.  Good news for Johnny Vegas that his big big early lead for rookie of the year wasn't just eclipsed.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Yeah, if anything I think this shows us that nobody ever really looks like they're going to implode or choke under the pressure until they actually do. Dustin Johnson never showed signs of it last year for the first three rounds at the US Open, and Rory didn't show any signs of it the first three rounds this year.

The craziest thing about these implosions, though, is that they are nearly immediate. DJ gave it up right away, and you saw Rory's lead shrink immediately after the first hole was done, and it was completely gone by the 3rd hole. The implosion was still a ways off, but the signs of it slipping away were evident right off the bat.

Brandon

And let's not forget Aaron Baddely at the US Open at Oakmont- the one Cabrera won.  And Mike Weir at Medinah in the PGA in 1999 - the year of Sergio's scissor kick and Tiger's win.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

This sunday really had everything!

Tiger's early charge, Schwartzels hole outs and impressive last 4 holes, Rorys meltdown, an awful lot of contenders.... Hell, even a broomstick was there

This should set the tone for the upcoming months and majors.

Funny thing I read on twitter from biznasty.  Hockey fans should know who this is.

"Tiger Woods is playing like he was up all night doing things he shouldnt have. Heeeeee's Baaaaaack. TigerBlood? No, TigerWood"

Nothing against Adam Scott, but I'm so glad someone with a broomstick putter didn't win the masters... it just looks so wrong. I definitely feel for Rory, He still has my favorite looking swing on tour, but #10 was just aweful.

Oh, and +1 on Jason Day's wife. I like how they kept cutting to her even when Day wasn't even hitting a shot. Way to go CBS

WITB:

Fast 10 10.5* Driver  |  adams.gif Fast 10 15* 3 Wood  |  adams.gif Idea V3 19* Hybrid  |  titleist.gif 710 AP1 4-GW  |    55* and 60* Wedges  |  Lajosi KLP7J Putter

I felt bad for Rory, I can't imagine the pressure he was feeling walking out the leader on Sunday.  I know he's ultimately responsible for his meltdown, but I wonder how much responsibility his caddie has to take for it as well.   It seems he was still playing very aggressive and took alot of chances (or just really mishit the ball) going out there with a 4 stroke lead.

Joe Paradiso

I felt for Rory also, mostly caus I needed him to win to win my Masters pool and ALOT OF MONEY!! What was his caddie doing? Couldn't he calm him down just a little? It was hard to watch. Well at least the rest of the tourney was fun to watch.

Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated

Wow what a round. Couldn;t help but giggle a bit at Rory....Tiger was fun to wtach, boring back nine though, disappointing, was rooting for Jason Day, amazing effort for first time at Masters...can not wait for next year

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

By the time Rory got to #10, the field had caught him and all of a sudden he needed to take advantage of birdie opportunities.  So I can see why he was pulling out driver, plus that club certainly wasn't failing miserably to that point.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I felt bad for Rory, I can't imagine the pressure he was feeling walking out the leader on Sunday.  I know he's ultimately responsible for his meltdown, but I wonder how much responsibility his caddie has to take for it as well.   It seems he was still playing very aggressive and took alot of chances (or just really mishit the ball) going out there with a 4 stroke lead.

Originally Posted by topspin4hand

By the time Rory got to #10, the field had caught him and all of a sudden he needed to take advantage of birdie opportunities.  So I can see why he was pulling out driver, plus that club certainly wasn't failing miserably to that point.

In fact, Rory drove the ball very well on the front nine; he just was unable to get anything going with the scoring clubs. His tee shot at 10, though, almost defies explanation. That drive was going to be pulled 75 yards to the left even if it hadn't hit anything (which is almost as far as the ball ultimately traveled overall).

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Thanks, I wasn't sure, but I do remember thinking to myself early on in the round, "his tee shots are saving him right now."

One great piece of analysis that Brandel Chamblee made the 2nd round I believe was when he said Rory has not been the best scrambler, however, b/c Rory was so dominant tee to green up to that point, that weakness hadn't come into play.  I was thinking about that comment when Rory was trying to work back down the tenth hole after that horrible tee shot...

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

In fact, Rory drove the ball very well on the front nine; he just was unable to get anything going with the scoring clubs. His tee shot at 10, though, almost defies explanation. That drive was going to be pulled 75 yards to the left even if it hadn't hit anything (which is almost as far as the ball ultimately traveled overall).

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

Agreed. I believe during our chat either after he teed off on 9 or right before he teed off on 10, I said something like "has he missed a fairway all week?" (Sorry for jinxing him.) At that point, that was a viable question. He was bombing the ball long and straight all week, and I suspect most people in his situation would have pulled the driver as well.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Speaking of pulling the driver, did anyone else think it was a ballsy move by Schwartzel taking driver off the 18th tee when he'd played his 3-wood there all week? One of the South African papers asked him about it today and he said something along the lines of clubbing down in that particular situation is going to let doubt enter your head. Better to trust your swing and just lash it.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by jamo

Agreed. I believe during our chat either after he teed off on 9 or right before he teed off on 10, I said something like "has he missed a fairway all week?" (Sorry for jinxing him.)

Don't feel bad.  I believe that immediately before he walked to the 10th tee I posted "if he continues driving it this way, he may still win."

Remember, he still had a 1-stroke lead going to the 10th hole, and had 13 and 15 still to play.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Also, it appears that I am not the only one that picked up on the fact that Feherty and Faldo think the Arctic is a continent: http://www.andrewricegolf.com/2011/04/2011-masters-the-schwartz-be-with-you/

At one point every continent, other than Antarctica (and not the Arctic which is an ice sheet Mr. Feherty) was represented on the final page of the leaderboard. I could almost picture the anticipation shifting from Europe (Rory), to the US (Tiger), to Asia (KJ), to Australia and finally to Africa with Charl’s courageous finish.

I said that at one point during the chat.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I felt so bad for rory like everyone else here, but, I felt like he has learned so much by falling apart. he knows now that the pressure of a 4 shot lead at the masters is not to be taken for granted. he was very cool in the interviews also. great kid on the way to many majors in his career.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

Note: This thread is 4758 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!