IGNORED

Hole in One on a Mulligan

ProV1xMan
Note: This thread is 1721 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I agree the score wouldn't be drastically different, but over time, on average I'm pretty sure your 2nd ball score would be a little lower.  Par 3s are really the focus here since we're talking about a hole in one.  Regardless, great shot, probably the best par anyone on this board has ever made.

Originally Posted by golf4fun12

max power......I would see you improving a score on the par 3's with the second shot. but the rest of the holes, it would depend on your tee shot, which could be bad with either the first or second shot. I don't know how much difference there would be with the par 4 or 5 holes. I would think it would be around the same score for both balls.

Actually, this story reminds me of something that happened to my dad last year.  He told me about his fantastic hole-out from, I don't know, probably 150 yards or something.  Full shot in to a par 5, not exactly sure what the distance was.  Then he finished the story: it was after, for the only time that afternoon, he'd rolled his ball about two feet from the rough into the fairway out of frustration.  Pretty much the same deal as here: great shot "tarnished" by the circumstances.  As someone said above, probably a better story, even if not score.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Originally Posted by max power

I agree the score wouldn't be drastically different, but over time, on average I'm pretty sure your 2nd ball score would be a little lower.  Par 3s are really the focus here since we're talking about a hole in one.  Regardless, great shot, probably the best par anyone on this board has ever made.

If you used to balls from from the same spot every time and played best ball by yourself, then for sure, the 2nd score would be better.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

Argue semantics much?

What we do know is; 1 .) the guy didn't get a hole in one, 2 .) the odds of holing out once with 2 shots are twice as high as holing out once with one shot, 3 .) the OP wasn't so much asking for permission to tell everyone he had a hole-in-one as wondering why other people were so excited, and 4 ) in case it hasn't been said enough times, he did not get a hole in one and people should stop referring to it as such.

No semantics are involved in this discussion. Our disagreement is on whether the feat of holing out from the teebox on the second shot is as impressive as holing out from the teebox on the first shot. You contend it is not, I contend that it is. Regardless, it doesn't add much to the original topic of the thread. The OP got his question answered.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I'd say great par if it were a par 3.  To me, a 'mulligan' is a lost ball or ball out of bounds where a stroke and distance penalty is required, or an unplayable lie where the player elects to re-tee with a stroke and distance penalty.  You're hitting 3 and holed out.  Nice par.

Originally Posted by ProV1xMan

Hi my name is chris and i just joined the forums.  I just started started golfing april of 2010.  i went out with some family in october to a course called cedar hills. was having a pretty good day for me.  we got to the 16 hole which is a par 3. the four of us all hit a bad shot off the tee and decided we should all hit a mulligan. everyone lands on the green and its my shot. a friend of mine hit his ball about a foot away from the hole and i said to him how can i hit now after that lol.  i took out my pitching wedge and took aim at the flag my ball hit the front of the green and rolled forward right by his ball hit the flag and dropped in. no one could see my ball but we all heard it hit the pin. i said theres no way it went in. we drove up to the green got out and sure enough my ball was in the hole. everyone went crazy even the guys waiting on the next tee. should i feel good about it? it was a mulligan so technically not a true hole in one.

I often practice on my course when it's slow and one day after hitting my tee shot to the green, I dropped a handful of balls on the tee and I ended up sinking the 4th shot. I smirked a little but I didn't even think (until now) that it was worth telling anyone about.

• 8 years later...

I just witnessed my husband make a hole in one* or two. The comments are black & white.  Some say it’s an Ace.  On his score card he took a 3, so he went on line to register it.  They wanted to know what course, what hole, distance, club & ball used.  No mention of mulligan.  He already had one, so I don’t understand him registering this one.  He had a playable, but it was a cliff shot & took the second shot for the fun of it.  I’m over it, but seemed appropriate for this topic.  

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Raabrown said:

I just witnessed my husband make a hole in one* or two. The comments are black & white.  Some say it’s an Ace.  On his score card he took a 3, so he went on line to register it.  They wanted to know what course, what hole, distance, club & ball used.  No mention of mulligan.  He already had one, so I don’t understand him registering this one.  He had a playable, but it was a cliff shot & took the second shot for the fun of it.  I’m over it, but seemed appropriate for this topic.  

Hmmm. I wonder what that says about him.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think it was Fred Couples who put his first par 3, ball in a pond. Took a drop in the tee box, and holed his next shot. On his score card, he parred the hole. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I was playing in a four person scramble this year.   We played our 18 and decided to play the last par 3 at the club house.   It was our 19th hole.   I aced the hole but didn't count it because the round was over after 18.   Did I celebrate?  Ya the guys bought me a lemonade.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

3 hours ago, Raabrown said:

No-one who knows anything about the game thinks it's an ace.

Your husband is a lying cheat.

Not only that, you are suggesting that had he not already had one you might have been OK with him registering this one. Not cool.

You may as well wonder why he registered a 7 as an ace if he already had one registered. A 1 is a 1 and a 3 is not a 1.

I'll give $1000 to anyone of the "some people" who "say it's an ace" and justify their case.

Edited by leftybutnotPM

4 hours ago, Raabrown said:

I just witnessed my husband make a hole in one* or two.

Three.

4 hours ago, Raabrown said:

On his score card he took a 3,

And that's the correct score for the hole.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• iacas changed the title to Hole in One on a Mulligan

I haven't read through this whole thread, but there's no such thing as a hole in one on a mulligan.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1721 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!