IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2404 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, RandallT said:

Dan is in business.

http://portlandsoda.com/our-story/

No, not golf. Portland Soda Works. Good for him! Now we know why he has gone dark. 

From the link:

They talked of making movies, writing TV shows, and anything else that would keep them out of an office.

If you ask me, this is the gist of The Dan Plan 0.0, 1.0, 2.0, etc... Yeah, working in an office isn't the greatest, but the majority of people do it. The way he just dropped and left things in limbo isn't exactly what you'd call a clean break.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

"As a result, the quality of their products, as well as the breadth of their flavor library, grows steadily."

Haha...whaaaat?

- John

On 5/17/2016 at 0:19 AM, Lihu said:

Charts make it look so possible to make +4.

That would be a mis-read of the trendline. There's clearly diminishing returns, Plus 4 might be theoretically possible if he devoted like another 10 years of full-time effort to it. He will never reach the 'goal guru' mark in the allotted time.

non linear set of improvements.

Good observation for how most golfers progress. See above.

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

If you ask me, this is the gist of The Dan Plan 0.0, 1.0, 2.0, etc... Yeah, working in an office isn't the greatest, but the majority of people do it. The way he just dropped and left things in limbo isn't exactly what you'd call a clean break.

Or it was something fun to work on and supplement his income on off hours?

I agree the lack of a clean break and stopping communication was a bit of dis to any of his loyal 'following'.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

1 hour ago, newtogolf said:

So after all that time he just abandoned the Dan Plan and moved on.  Fail

He could've at least had the balls to say, "Yeah, I'm moving on to other things that have captured my time and interest. I gave it my best effort but it turns out it's a lot harder than it looks."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pretzel said:

He could've at least had the balls to say, "Yeah, I'm moving on to other things that have captured my time and interest. I gave it my best effort but it turns out it's a lot harder than it looks."

Yeah, that would be a lot better than letting his hapless fans stay in limbo. :-P

He probably just realized that he was as good at golf as he was going to get.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2 hours ago, newtogolf said:

So after all that time he just abandoned the Dan Plan and moved on.  Fail

1 hour ago, Pretzel said:

Yeah, he passed it off as a science experiment at the beginning so you'd think, succeed or fail, there should be some kind of wrap up.

7 hours ago, Pretzel said:

6 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Yeah, he passed it off as a science experiment at the beginning so you'd think, succeed or fail, there should be some kind of wrap up.

I agree, imo he owed his sponsors and supporters some closure and thanks for supporting him while they did.  It's disappointing that he not only walked away from the Dan Plan without closure but that he'd also reference it in his bio for the new business.  I'm not sure that as his business partner I'd be comfortable with the way he jumps from career to career.  

Joe Paradiso

11 hours ago, RandallT said:

Dan is in business.

No, not golf. Portland Soda Works. Good for him! Now we know why he has gone dark. 

Thanks for posting this update. Though it seems like another long shot to me. The soda business is so tough to penetrate. I wonder if he still plays golf much.

root_beer_large_product_image-2-300x300.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

11 hours ago, RandallT said:

Dan is in business.

How'd you find this @RandallT?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

21 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

How'd you find this @RandallT?

Every couple months or so, I google something like: "Dan McLaughlin Plan PGA" or some variation, just to see if there are any podcasts, videos, whatever.  I use the Search Tools thing and select Last Month only. This is what I got last night:

Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 8.50.44 AM.png

The Golf Channel link always shows up #1. It is static content, so they must edit the page every week or something to keep showing up in the search. But it's some old video that aired near the start of the plan. 

This thread on SandTrap always shows up near the top. We're famous!

Alan Shipnuck always shows up too.

After that, the search usually picks up a sportscaster named Dan McLaughlin, and the results get less and less relevant after that. The past year, there's been very few hits (as his publicity waned), so I hardly ever do it. Not sure why I even did the search last night. Curiosity I guess.

But there is was, the new Portland Soda link. I thought it was spam, or just a phony hit to lure clicks, but followed it anyway. You know those clever spammers, they'll latch onto anything to lure you in- even the Dan Plan! Lo and behold, there's Dan's pic. At first, I thought it was a company in Portland doing a feature on him for their web site. Perhaps a series of stories of local patrons. Then it dawned on me that this was a new venture that Dan was involved with.

Seems like the other guy is the true brains of the operation, and Dan is in more of a support role. It will be interesting to see if he "tidies up" the Dan Plan, and brings it to a conclusion. He's clearly moved on, and there's zero hope he'll get in golf shape now. The plan is done. :cry:

If he doesn't wrap up his experience at his site, I suppose we should wrap up this thread here. Who is good at eulogies? This has been too much fun for too long. 

FYI: a similar google search as above is actually how I found TST. My first post here was in a Dan Plan thread, after some guy I played a round with told me about Dan. You have that random stranger to thank for my joining here. Now that it's done, I guess I'll still stick around here.

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

27 minutes ago, RandallT said:

Every couple months or so, I google something like: "Dan McLaughlin Plan PGA" or some variation, just to see if there are any podcasts, videos, whatever.  I use the Search Tools thing and select Last Month only. This is what I got last night:

Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 8.50.44 AM.png

The Golf Channel link always shows up #1. It is static content, so they must edit the page every week or something to keep showing up in the search. But it's some old video that aired near the start of the plan. 

This thread on SandTrap always shows up near the top. We're famous!

Alan Shipnuck always shows up too.

After that, the search usually picks up a sportscaster named Dan McLaughlin, and the results get less and less relevant after that. The past year, there's been very few hits (as his publicity waned), so I hardly ever do it. Not sure why I even did the search last night. Curiosity I guess.

But there is was, the new Portland Soda link. I thought it was spam, or just a phony hit to lure clicks, but followed it anyway. You know those clever spammers, they'll latch onto anything to lure you in- even the Dan Plan! Lo and behold, there's Dan's pic. At first, I thought it was a company in Portland doing a feature on him for their web site. Perhaps a series of stories of local patrons. Then it dawned on me that this was a new venture that Dan was involved with.

Seems like the other guy is the true brains of the operation, and Dan is in more of a support role. It will be interesting to see if he "tidies up" the Dan Plan, and brings it to a conclusion. He's clearly moved on, and there's zero hope he'll get in golf shape now. The plan is done. :cry:

If he doesn't wrap up his experience at his site, I suppose we should wrap up this thread here. Who is good at eulogies? This has been too much fun for too long. 

FYI: a similar google search as above is actually how I found TST. My first post here was in a Dan Plan thread, after some guy I played a round with told me about Dan. You have that random stranger to thank for my joining here. Now that it's done, I guess I'll still stick around here.

Interesting, kneel to your all knowing Google overlords. I recall a tweet awhile back to his account saying big changes or something like that, maybe this was it. I always thought he had at least a couple of things going on "on the side". The flavors sound tasty, actually tempted to buy one, the coffee flavor sounds interesting. Reminds me of Ribena, UK/Canadian folks will know what I'm talking about.

Steve

10 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Interesting, kneel to your all knowing Google overlords. I recall a tweet awhile back to his account saying big changes or something like that, maybe this was it. I always thought he had at least a couple of things going on "on the side". The flavors look tasty, actually tempted to buy one, the coffee flavor sounds interesting. Reminds me of Ribena, UK folks will know what I'm talking about.

Its only the syrup though. You have to mix it with seltzer water (or, as the website says, absinthe, or drizzled over ice cream).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Just now, jamo said:

Its only the syrup though. You have to mix it with seltzer water (or, as the website says, absinthe, or drizzled over ice cream).

Yep, that's what Ribena is.

Steve

I'd say the Dan Plan worked great! He's famous enough to get this thing kick started. Next time I'm in Portland I will likely drop by and get some of his product.

It's a great idea.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Here's the ending conclusion in three words.

Golf

is

Hard.

Steve

1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

Here's the ending conclusion in three words.

Golf

is

Hard.

Maybe we all buy some syrups from Dan, make our beverages as we each prefer, and get together on the TST Chat line some evening and drink a toast to: 

"Golf is Hard"

(with appropriate trademarking for that phrase)

Then the moderators can ceremoniously close up this thread as we finally have reached the only proper agreement to it all. Nothing left to say.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Note: This thread is 2404 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!