IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This was a recent comment on his blog.

Was it signed - Love mom?   Otherwise it was clearly one of Dan's people trying to help him out.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't think it was serious. It will just drag out his efforts longer. Maybe, with this he'll now have the fortitude to stick with the program for another 4000 hours and shave off a few strokes to get to a true 5 handicap?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

My comment where I asked what he had to offer a sponsor was removed.

The guy is a complete loser and a jerk.

He is whining about not having sponsors and how he's the "world's cheapest billboard" for Titleist, essentially insulting them.

Notice how he doesn't correct interviewers who say he'll be playing alongside Tiger Woods in 2018?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

https://twitter.com/JosephsonAnne/status/531941387369857026

@ thedanplan Step Away from the Phone and Return to Practice, Please. http:// wp.me/p3VbVt-fJ

0 replies 0 retweets 0 favorites
Retweet
Favorite
More
5:48 PM - 10 Nov 2014

https://twitter.com/Russellpalmer1/status/530448812008300545

@ thedanplan I'd be interested to know your deliberate practise routine ideas, & how you record, compare & reflect on them?

0 replies 0 retweets 0 favorites
Retweet
Favorite
More
2:57 PM - 6 Nov 2014

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

https://twitter.com/JosephsonAnne/status/531941387369857026

User Actions

Follow

Anne Josephson‏@JosephsonAnne

@thedanplan Step Away from the Phone and Return to Practice, Please. http://wp.me/p3VbVt-fJ

0 replies0 retweets0 favorites

Retweet

Favorite

More

5:48 PM - 10 Nov 2014

https://twitter.com/Russellpalmer1/status/530448812008300545

User Actions

Follow

Russell Palmer‏@Russellpalmer1

@thedanplan I'd be interested to know your deliberate practise routine ideas, & how you record, compare & reflect on them?

0 replies0 retweets0 favorites

Retweet

Favorite

More

2:57 PM - 6 Nov 2014

At least we're not the only ones anymore

My comment where I asked what he had to offer a sponsor was removed.

The guy is a complete loser and a jerk.

He is whining about not having sponsors and how he's the "world's cheapest billboard" for Titleist, essentially insulting them.

Notice how he doesn't correct interviewers who say he'll be playing alongside Tiger Woods in 2018?

Just curious but what was the exact content in your comment? I have seen people get attacked for the smallest hint of skepticism in his blogs, "How dare you question Dans method of his plan, I don't see you out there working on your game like him."  Honestly I would love to quit my job and have people donate so I could practice and play all day whenever I want and I guarantee I'll be breaking 80 at every tournament I enter after only a couple months of deliberate practice, I also would give as much detailed info on the exact method of practice and for how long and what value I would give the results.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Just curious but what was the exact content in your comment? I have seen people get attacked for the smallest hint of skepticism in his blogs, "How dare you question Dans method of his plan, I don't see you out there working on your game like him."  Honestly I would love to quit my job and have people donate so I could practice and play all day whenever I want and I guarantee I'll be breaking 80 at every tournament I enter after only a couple months of deliberate practice, I also would give as much detailed info on the exact method of practice and for how long and what value I would give the results.

This.

Have to give him credit for being a savvy marketer at least.

Kevin

There are two types of people who I really resent:

1.) The guy who wants to accomplish something and get you to pay for it.

2.) The scientist who wants to study something and gets you to pay for it.

The first guy is like the amputee or diabetic or blind guy who wants to climb Mount Everest, or walk to the North Pole.  He's going to "raise awareness" of the disability and inspire everyone etc.  But really he's just looking to have an adventure for free.

The second guy is the PHD studying the effects of global warming on Actic penguins, or he's diving in St. Croix to determine if the lobster population is affected by tourism (come to find out, they're still delicious!).  That guy gets a grant and has an adventure for free as well.  My parents lived in American Samoa for awhile and there were two of these knuckleheads who got a grant to, "study the viability of sport fishing in American Samoa."  That was the purpose of thier grant. They had a nice boat, rods and reels, fuel, bait etc.  All paid for by the American taxpayer.  They would fish about every day and write down what they caught.  I'm sure the report was very scholarly.  I actually got to go out fishing with these guys.  We caught Mahi Mahi and yellow fin tuna on that trip.  What a joke.  It's no wonder that the debt is $16 trillion.

Dan is a hybrid of these two types of grifters.  He's actually performing a study - without the PHD or the handicap (no pun intended)!!  He's taken the art of having the adventure, without the bother of obtaining an advanced degree or overcoming a disability.

Well done con-man!!  You are getting others to pay for your golf while proving absolutely nothing and inspiring absolutely no one!!

• Upvote 1

Occam's razor

Oh, Craig, you are a terrific moaner. Moan and groan about others, what a joke.  Did you offer money to Dan?  If not , why cry?

As far as the scientist and the studies conducted, all the public research is vetted by competent scholars, and yes, often the taxpayers foots the bill on behalf of the public benefit.  The vast majority of research we, you and i, don't fully appreciate nor understand but accept.  If you are really serious and truly resentful, you can inform the IRS that you choose to not pay any income tax which supports scientific inquiry.  Some folks choose to not pay income tax which supports war and related nonsense. This, the refusal to pay income tax,  is the path  of those folks who stand on principles, not on resentment.

Stay in the Kingdom where your voice is really meaningful (ha, ha) and don't return home where folks only ask others to support causes, no head chopping swords involved. Dan is dedicated and others want to share his story and dream, and so send him a bit of cash.  Where's the problem except that you are not as dedicated nor as smart as Dan.

Not as dedicated or as smart as Dan?!?  Speak for yourself.  I'm an engineer, not some marketing dork.  I'm a lot smarter and make a more money than Dan. You're probably really impressed with the grifter.  He's a fake and anyone who contributes to his nonsense is a fool.

I don't do scientific studies.  I do actual projects that benefit people's lives - LNG plants in North Africa, refinery expansions in Canada, Nuclear Power plants and ULSD plants all over the US, pipelines in Saudi Arabia...

Dan tricks people into paying him to be a mediocre hack, based on his tournament scores.

Do you even pay taxes?  The IRS doesn't give a rat's ass if you support war, welfare, or study cow methane emissions, they just look at the bottom line.  You don't get to pick and choose.  You're just joking about that right?

As far as head chopping, that event has been imported to the US:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/28/us/oklahoma-beheading/

Stay in your lane Joe, you're embarrassing yourself.

Occam's razor

Not as dedicated or as smart as Dan?!?  Speak for yourself.  I'm an engineer, not some marketing dork.  I'm a lot smarter and make a more money than Dan. You're probably really impressed with the grifter.  He's a fake and anyone who contributes to his nonsense is a fool.

I don't do scientific studies.  I do actual projects that benefit people's lives - LNG plants in North Africa, refinery expansions in Canada, Nuclear Power plants and ULSD plants all over the US, pipelines in Saudi Arabia...

If you don't understand how scientific grants can benefit people's lives...you're a terrible engineer. You realize that a lot of work us engineers get is based off of theoretical science that comes from scientific grants...right?

Right?

• Upvote 1
Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Dan tricks people into paying him to be a mediocre hack, based on his tournament scores.

Do you even pay taxes?  The IRS doesn't give a rat's ass if you support war, welfare, or study cow methane emissions, they just look at the bottom line.  You don't get to pick and choose.  You're just joking about that right?

As far as head chopping, that event has been imported to the US:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/28/us/oklahoma-beheading/

Stay in your lane Joe, you're embarrassing yourself.

If you don't understand how scientific grants can benefit people's lives...you're a terrible engineer. You realize that a lot of work us engineers get is based off of theoretical science that comes from scientific grants...right?

Right?

Slightly Off Topic:

I think you're both right.  Some grants are pure pork while others are on-ramps to real scientific advancements.  You can no more generalize about the value / importance of grants than you can about charities.  Some benefit the people / places they are intended and some just line peoples pockets.

On Topic:

Dan is not a scientist and doesn't have a scientific approach to improving.  In the beginning one could say he at least had a method to learning in that he started out putting then advanced to chipping, pitching and full swing.  I don't agree with the method but at least he had one.  At this point he just appears to be thrashing, I don't see any focus or a specific plan that he believes will get him from a 7 to a +5 so in that sense he's wasting peoples money and his own time.

Joe Paradiso

Slightly Off Topic:

I think you're both right.  Some grants are pure pork while others are on-ramps to real scientific advancements.  You can no more generalize about the value / importance of grants that you can about charities.

Right, but the following:

"There are two types of people who I really resent:

2.) The scientist who wants to study something and gets you to pay for it."

Is just resenting scientists without specifying.

Back on topic, Dan will never be a pro. He isn't a scientist, and never could be because he doesn't have the work ethic.

Ryan M

Back on topic, Dan will never be a pro. He isn't a scientist, and never could be because he doesn't have the work ethic.

Agreed, I completely ignored that comment because it was just such a gross generalization.

As for Dan, he seems lost and might be looking for a way to exit this experiment without taking the full hit and looking like a quitter, i.e. lack of financial support from golf industry, failure of sponsors, lack of free instruction.  I don't see him making it to 10,000 hours.

Joe Paradiso

Slice, I did specify.  I cited the two PHd's who were investigating the sport fishing possibilities in American Samoa.  Those are the ones I resent.  And Dan is working this same type of con.  Getting paid for doing nothing of value.

Newtogolf said it better. Keeping the grant money flowing just to keep from getting a real job.

Occam's razor

Slice, I did specify.  I cited the two PHd's who were investigating the sport fishing possibilities in American Samoa.  Those are the ones I resent.  And Dan is working this same type of con.  Getting paid for doing nothing of value.

Newtogolf said it better. Keeping the grant money flowing just to keep from getting a real job.

Fair enough. I'll disagree that it's a con though...they're up front about what they're doing, and if people are dumb enough to give them money for it...more power to them.

Ryan M

Not really wanting to get in the middle of this, but I interpreted what you said the same way Slice did.  You didn't say "There are two people I resent," you said "There are two TYPES of people I resent."  That's sounds awfully general.

Anywho's, back to topic.

Question: if we took every player who played their first PGA event in 2014, and then somehow rewound them 4300 hours of deliberate practice.... What might that player profile look like? Where would their golf game be, as compared to where Dan is at this moment (struggling to hit a driver, and struggling to get under 80 in small local tournaments)? Where were they not just in their golf game, but in their positioning to enter tournaments? Were they web.com players mostly? Seasoned amateurs with lots of tournament experience? Or were they guys we wouldn't have guessed would have ever made a PGA event, just putzing around trying to find a formula to make a good showing in little-ish city events? Whatever that profile is for those new PGA tour players who have been rewound 4300 hours, that's where Dan needs to be TODAY, since he has only 4300 hours left. Like most of you, I think Dan is light-years behind where he needs to be. Not even remotely possible to succeed from where he is. But occasionally we see some young gun Monday qualify (recently some high school kid get into an event somewhere down south, as I recall, and his coach caddied), and I'd be curious how those players caught lightning in a bottle to sneak into an event. Did they just have a a year or two of amazing play and then get all the breaks to find the right tournament to enter? I think at this point, Dan will need two things to play on a tour event after 4300 hours: 1. Improve at a pace he has thus far not been able to demonstrate that he can 2. Find a realistic event for which he could Monday-qualify, and then play incredibly well to get in, hoping that very few other talented players try to do the same for that event. Those seem like remote odds, and I'm not seeing him lay out any solid plan to achieve either. Heck, at this point, I'd bet on Dan being the first to be eliminated in this current cast of Big Break Myrtle Beach. Well, he might've beaten Krista in that elimination challenge, since she choked... but Anthony could take him down easily. It'll be fun regardless watching it unfold.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Note: This thread is 2558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!