IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If Dan had planned  . . .

For anyone who doesn't play, this is really hard.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@RFKFREAK I also liked the song. It's "Fifteen" by Goldroom.

Thanks for letting me know.

It might have to make it's way into my playlist rotation. :)

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

My god, I wonder if Dan has had Richard Chen notified by the authorities that he's a borderline stalker? :-D

• Upvote 1

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

My god, I wonder if Dan has had Richard Chen notified by the authorities that he's a borderline stalker?

If it weren't for the fact that I've encountered people in other forums who write wall of text posts, usually undecipherable or at best, headache inducing, I'd think he'd need to get a restraining order or something, but unfortunately, I've seen this type of posters elsewhere.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopster View Post

My god, I wonder if Dan has had Richard Chen notified by the authorities that he's a borderline stalker? :-D

Lol!

I'm dying laughing at this one...

Quote:

According to the website, the first time you played 18 holes was about 20 months into your plan.That’s a pretty darn long time from first starting. I guess my point is, was your structured practice in the first 20 months realistic practice? For example,

I get that putting is important, but if I was going to take up soccer, I wouldn’t have practiced for five months standing in front of a goal.

For some reason.. and maybe I am being cynical but I think this was planned in a twisted sort of way... I am a year and half without playing golf?  putting? really?

It's almost like he will want to take a mulligan later saying the original advice was so bad its obvious... Lol.

All this is starting to crack me up!

Quote:

Originally Posted by flopster

My god, I wonder if Dan has had Richard Chen notified by the authorities that he's a borderline stalker?

If it weren't for the fact that I've encountered people in other forums who write wall of text posts, usually undecipherable or at best, headache inducing, I'd think he'd need to get a restraining order or something, but unfortunately, I've seen this type of posters elsewhere.

Wow, the comment thread at Dan's latest blog post is interesting (http://thedanplan.com/inspiration-in-a-time-of-a-golfing-low/)

The guy, Pete, who is debating Richard "WallOfText" Chen, is a former TST poster apparently.  Pete is giving Richard some well-deserved grief. I just got a kick out of reading that.  I skipped through most of Richard's. Whew.

Looks like Pete is:

Nosevi was banned from TST? I remember his name, but don't recall the drama around that. OT, I know :-P I don't wanna bring up old wounds. Just interesting.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

[QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/2502#post_1095694"]   [QUOTE name="flopster" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer-dan-mclaughlin/2480_40#post_1095691"]   My god, I wonder if Dan has had Richard Chen notified by the authorities that he's a borderline stalker?:-D [/QUOTE] If it weren't for the fact that I've encountered people in other forums who write wall of text posts, usually undecipherable or at best, headache inducing, I'd think he'd need to get a restraining order or something, but unfortunately, I've seen this type of posters elsewhere. [/QUOTE] Wow, the comment thread at Dan's latest blog post is interesting ([URL=http://thedanplan.com/inspiration-in-a-time-of-a-golfing-low/]http://thedanplan.com/inspiration-in-a-time-of-a-golfing-low/[/URL]) The guy, Pete, who is debating Richard "WallOfText" Chen, is a former TST poster apparently.  Pete is giving Richard some well-deserved grief. I just got a kick out of reading that.  I skipped through most of Richard's. Whew.  [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]

Looks like Pete is:

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/72433/my-swing-nosevi layout=block] [/CONTENTEMBED]

Nosevi was banned from TST? I remember his name, but don't recall the drama around that. OT, I know :-P   I don't wanna bring up old wounds. Just interesting.

[/SPOILER]

His comments section is just another demonstration of how hard it is to get good information. I think it's a poor reflection of the golf industry as a whole how the plan is going and more and more piling on will occur as he gets deeper into the plan.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

From the site:

I ’m testing some new drivers, trying to change my iron swing, the new wedges I’m not 100 percent sure how to hit short approach shots with due to the different bounces and my putting is good but I don’t seem to start the ball on the line I want each time.

Talk about avoidance strategies......

FFS - when is this nutter going to wake up.

We have a 16 year old who just made the cut in the Sony Open in Hawaii

Dan, who is in his 30s, thinks he  is playing in the Masters in 2018 and may have broken 80 on easy courses a few times.

Enough already!!!!

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

From the site: [COLOR=FF0000]I[SIZE=16px] ’m testing some new drivers, trying to change my iron swing, the new wedges I’m not 100 percent sure how to hit short approach shots with due to the different bounces and my putting is good but I don’t seem to start the ball on the line I want each time. [/SIZE][/COLOR] [SIZE=16px]Talk about avoidance strategies......[/SIZE] [SIZE=16px][COLOR=333333] FFS - when is this nutter going to wake up. [/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=16px][COLOR=333333] We have a 16 year old who just made the cut in the Sony Open in Hawaii [/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=16px][COLOR=333333] Dan, who is in his 30s, thinks he  is playing in the Masters in 2018 and may have broken 80 on easy courses a few times. [/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=16px][COLOR=333333] Enough already!!!! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Lol at "I'm a good putter except for the fact that I can't hit it where I mean to."

Lol at "I'm a good putter except for the fact that I can't hit it where I mean to."

That might be the funniest part of the post. I would love to know what he thinks a bad putter is!

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

That might be the funniest part of the post. I would love to know what he thinks a bad putter is!

Maybe someone who makes only 28 putts a round is bad, since they don't get much practice.

The more I look at this the more it's clear the plan is all wrong. He was obviously inspired by Outliers.. Which is a fantastic book by the way... But play close attention to the stories like The Beatles. The application is completely different. At least after this he will be a single digit handicapper and if you look closely at the metrics Iacas posted about handicapping.. He could essentially say he's in the top of the field with a scratch hcp... But becoming a touring pro after 10k? Ummm I feel grateful, I didn't have to quit my job, spend my entire savings over a few years to get my hcp honestly... In the end, someone with resources will also be inspired by Dan's perseverance on his quest and he will get a job.. and he will be just fine after this fiasco. He's a stud for pulling this off any way you dice it up..

With as much time as he spent on putting, you think he'd be the world's best putter by now.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

With as much time as he spent on putting, you think he'd be the world's best putter by now.

He may very well have below average talent for golf. The stuff you're born with. He might never even get to scratch. In fact, I'd bet he doesn't.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

He may very well have below average talent for golf. The stuff you're born with. He might never even get to scratch. In fact, I'd bet he doesn't.

Oh he will make it to "scratch" for sure, even if it takes a whole lot of handicap manipulation. I can't imagine the man devoting the last five years of his life and probably the next three or four to one specific goal and not finding some way to rationalize it.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Oh he will make it to "scratch" for sure, even if it takes a whole lot of handicap manipulation. I can't imagine the man devoting the last five years of his life and probably the next three or four to one specific goal and not finding some way to rationalize it.

Dan is going to "rationalize" his scratch level when he can't break 80 at a simple club championship at jerkwater putt putt meadows.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Yes, my daughter and I teamed up to add all Dan's data to the spreadsheet. Just thought it'd be very interesting, and his site is lacking on the big picture view of his progress. The info is there, but hard to get to.

Dan's first round was in August 2011. He started out better than a bogey-golfer. I didn't realize that. Guess all that short game work paid off.

The trend lines are not looking promising, however.

Not surprised there's no graph like this on Dan's site. Not looking good.

He had a below par round in April 2014 though and it's not on your blue graph. Or is that just an artifact of how it was graphed?

EDIT: Oh, maybe the blue circles are actually the moving average...

Not surprised there's no graph like this on Dan's site. Not looking good. He had a below par round in April 2014 though and it's not on your blue graph. Or is that just an artifact of how it was graphed? EDIT: Oh, maybe the blue circles are actually the moving average...

I'll hafta check my mac spreadsheet, if that round is in there. I suspect we are missing some from 2013, based on the looks of the graph. Maybe we were distracted and skipped some. But yes, the dots are the moving average. The lines smooth the moving average for trend- I used the polynomial feature in Mac numbers. I tried showing every round but it was too confusing. Then I tried different moving averages, but 10-day showed variation the best, I thought. Honestly, it seems like he tracked pretty well for a year or so. It all came apart in 2013. But as we know from playing, a smooth rate if progress was not realistic in the first place. We all hit long plateaus.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Note: This thread is 2558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!