IGNORED

Tiger as Captain's pick for Pres. Cup?

Bubba_13
Note: This thread is 4547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Fred might not pick him if he doesn't play golf. Which means he gets a chance to show if there is any improvement.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Actually the whole idea of a captain's pick is to choose someone in good form at the time. No good choosing someone who won a tournament 9 months earlier if they're struggling to make cuts...

Originally Posted by Joe Mcc 69

I think if Tiger had any class he would notify Freddie that he wants his name withdrawn from considertation.His game is nowhere close to being good enough to deserve to be on the team.I don't think it's fair for Freddie to have to be under any pressure at all to select Tiger.You should base your selections on the how well a player has played in the last 12 months.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

depends on where the company televising the event is based out of... If it is an american broadcasting company then I hope tiger plays! If not, Ricky Fowler better be on that team!

The worst day of golf beats the best day of work!

Totally agree that if I Tiger has class he will let his spot go to a deserving player. I'm surprised Tiger came back when he did. He would have been better off taking the rest of this year off. The President's Cup and Tiger would be a moot point if that was the case. Sorry, Tiger, but until you get your game back step aside and let a more capable player give USA the best shot at winning.

But what if Tiger is picked, and there is all the controversy and haters having a go,......

then he shoots some ridiculously good scores?

just saying

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Chances are America will probably win, unless the course is set up ridiculously hard and fast. Last time it was a rout at Royal Melbourne. ;-P

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Rickie Fowler is gathering more people to golf, if you can believe it. I think he personally deserves a captain's pick with how consistently he's placed in the big events. But then again, you can say the same thing about Keegan Bradley as far as consistently playing well.

Out of the players currently outside the top 10, I feel Jim Furyk deserves a pick due to his experience (He was in poor form but appears to have got that back a bit) and Keegan Bradley due to his current form. If Tiger gets his pick then it should be Tiger and Bradley. You can't leave the only American winner of a major this year out of the team.

Even golf form aside, I'm not sure Tiger would be a good locker room influence. I am in no position to say one way or the other what kind of a person Tiger is, I'm just not sure that his mental state would be something that would be positive for the team.  It's hard to say what might happen and maybe Tiger would be a positive influence, but from what I see in the media I think he is still struggling with the mental side of his game.  If I were Freddie, I would want to look him in the eye, away from all the distractions and media, and find out just what he is thinking.  I would base my decision on that.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

He's been trying to find a swing and a putting stroke for the last 2-3yrs.,I don't think he is 3mo.away from gettting it back.Not against him,just don't think he is even close and it's not fair to the team to speculate on whether or not his game will be ready.Iwant to see the U.S. players be competitive and bring home the trophy!

Tiger is a major draw for spectators and television viewers and ultimately golf is a business so while his current game and performance the last 18 months isn't worthy of a spot you just can't ignore the business side of the decision.  I think Bradley deserves the other spot, he's won a tournament and a major which is more than anyone else has done so I can't see how they can't offer him an opportunity to play.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Tiger is a major draw for spectators and television viewers and ultimately golf is a business so while his current game and performance the last 18 months isn't worthy of a spot you just can't ignore the business side of the decision.  I think Bradley deserves the other spot, he's won a tournament and a major which is more than anyone else has done so I can't see how they can't offer him an opportunity to play.

I agree....but just out of interest, does anyone know what the official data is for:

a) TV viewing figures when Woods is playing in 2011

b) tournament gallery attendance figures when Woods is playing in 2011

Couples picking Woods for this tournament is solely about TV-ratings and little else. No rational person would pick him on his current game than for any other reason.

And it's for this reason that the average-golf/sports-fan will tune in to watch Woods, good or bad.

A 4th-day Scott v Woods MatchPlay sounds good...

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

It seems like the media should at least by fostering new stars in case Tiger never gets it back. I realize how tought this is given the parity right now in golf, but it seems like the media would be wise to at least develop some other starts. The parity makes it tough though. Not many rivals.

I predict that Tiger will do at least as well as Curtis Strange did as a Ryder Cup captain's pick.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Why not?  Freddie wants him and so does Steve Stricker, with whom he partnered well in the past.  He'll bring the ratings no matter how he's playing, and he does relatively well in the team format.  Hopefully he'll play in at least one Fall Series event plus the tournament he's committed to in Australia right before the President's Cup.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I predict that Tiger will do at least as well as Curtis Strange did as a Ryder Cup captain's pick.

LOL.

Not even half a point?

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Well he's on the team

http://www.pgatour.com/2011/tournaments/presidentscup/08/25/couples-tiger-presidentscup.ap/index.html

No surprises

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by carpediem4300

But what if Tiger is picked, and there is all the controversy and haters having a go,......

then he shoots some ridiculously good scores?

just saying

First of all, you don't "shoot scores" in match play.

Secondly, why is someone who thinks Woods doesn't deserve to be on the team a "hater"? - God I hate that stupid term

Thirdly - Woods may well play really well. But that's not the point. He has not earnt his place on the team and other players and fans know he shouldn't be on the team.

It makes Couples look like a sycophant and reflects poorly on him.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 4547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!