IGNORED

Should golf personalities tweet politics?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 4617 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by jamo

It's not about hate at all. I'm not going to like (not really great phrasing there, "follow" or "root for" would be better) all 160 players on the PGA Tour, nobody is. To whittle down to my favorites, I use arbitrary criteria, some irrational (sponsorship, place of birth, play type) and some rational (namely, people with similar values). I don't hate or even dislike (still not a great phrase) Webb Simpson, Bubba Watson, or even Tiger Woods because we have conflicting views on the world, but for deciding who I'm going to root for, yeah, that comes in.

I hear you. Those things can play into who I tend to root for as well. Doesn't change my opinion on free speech though. There are some who seem to take certain things like religious talk a bit too personally for whatever reason. At least that's how it's coming across in this thread if you ask me.

I value freedom of speech.  The minute we dictate who should say what we loose that freedom.

If you don't like what someone says, don't follow them on Twitter.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is not about free speech, fellas.

It's about an opinion as to whether you think it's a good idea for golfers to tweet politics.

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

This is not about free speech, fellas.

It's about an opinion as to whether you think it's a good idea for golfers to tweet politics.

Given that it's impossible to provide insightful commentary within a 140-character limit, I don't think it's a good idea for anyone to tweet about politics.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Originally Posted by Yukari

I value freedom of speech.  The minute we dictate who should say what we loose that freedom.

The first line sounds like the start of an essay. Then comes the punchline.

Twitter. LOLZ.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

LOL. You guys take the whole freedom of speech thing way too seriously. America is not the only country to have free speech you know......

Originally Posted by Yukari

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

No, but we did kind of start it.  It's a right that should be protected, but it works both ways.  You have the freedom to state your opinion and everyone else has the freedom to state their opinion on your opinion.  Golfers and celebrities that use twitter or other social media outlets to state their political or religious positions should be prepared for backlash from those that don't share their views.

Originally Posted by michaeljames92

LOL. You guys take the whole freedom of speech thing way too seriously. America is not the only country to have free speech you know......

Joe Paradiso

Except that you sort of didn't, but that's not really the question here.

Quote:

No, but we did kind of start it.  It's a right that should be protected, but it works both ways.  You have the freedom to state your opinion and everyone else has the freedom to state their opinion on your opinion.  Golfers and celebrities that use twitter or other social media outlets to state their political or religious positions should be prepared for backlash from those that don't share their views.

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

But isn't that the point of twitter?  to hear more from "celebrities" and what their opinions are on a variety of topics?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

This is why I don't subscribe to twitter. Clearly expressions of their political and faith beliefs is a right. I just don't see why I should give them much weight. They are entertainers, and the majority of them have given me little reason to be impressed by the depth of their knowledge or intellect. I do find the need for public expressions of faith to be closer an to exercises in ego than true witness. This seems to come from the growth in evangelical and charismatic religious groups. Of course these are the same groups who gave us Jim and Tammy Faye Baker etc. I am more impressed by good works than simplistic public statments. And of course I do reserve the right to not spend my money on products they endorse if I dislike their point of view or just dislike being forced to hear it during the course of my entertainment.
  • Upvote 1

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Note: This thread is 4617 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!