IGNORED

If you could send a note [through time] to yourself as a beginner, what would it say?

sean_miller
Note: This thread is 4409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Get fitted for clubs Get lessons Video record your swing (feel isn't real)
  • Upvote 1

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Lots of responses about lessons, be careful with that, they should be able to answer these questions " The Instructor Quiz: Nine Questions You've Gotta Ask. "

I would send myself a note with where to find Mac O'Grady

Truthfully though, an acquaintance of my Dad's who was an instructor, spent a lot of time with Mac, and gave me some instruction that I didn't stick with but would hear again in 2009 about the way the body swings on an incline plane.  So I would tell myself that that guy would be my instructor.  I'd also get some good short game instruction from him as well, Seve model.  The note will let myself know about the correct ball flight laws, a few swing tips and to practice by making slow motion swings.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd be sending this about 5 years into the past: [list] [*] The solution is never swing harder. [*] Don't be afraid of swing changes that feel painfully awkward. That's fine. [*] Hit down. You don't help the ball up. [*] Move your right elbow down and into your bloody torso on the downswing. [*] Don't fear actually moving your lower body. [/list] I could say a lot more, but that would've solved half my problems and given me a couple of years of development progress back.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Ironically I left out the one main thing I wanted to tell my past self. I'm doomed to not be excellent.

Self - don't be a picker. You're not good enough. Make sure that for fairway wood and iron shots to take some sort of divot. Make sure that divot bottoms out a few inches beyond the ball.

Oh well.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Dear Sir,

Get a 3 and 4 hybrid

Get a heavier putter

Go to the gym and strengthen your back

Drink a little less when you play

Lay up and get back in play

Get fitted

Get lessons

Don't buy that Nike VR STR8 Fit Driver

When you first try golf for those 3 months at 15. Don't stop. You'll regret it at 23 if you do.

And one more thing

In September 2011 you will play a tournament in Barrhead. On the last hole of the second day, you will hit a 6 iron to 4 feet for eagle. Don't 3 putt. It breaks less than you think.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

1) Join the high school golf team and improve your game through hard practice.

2) Don't stop playing through the college years.

3) Avoid the back injury due to car accident by avoiding this intersection on this date & time.

4) Buy big into Microsoft stock in the 90's and switch to Apple (stock) in the 2000's. Then you can retire young and play golf anytime you want.

Get Fitted for Clubs

Get good wedges early

Stop switching putters ever year.

Dont even pick up the 4i, replace it with a 4H or 7W.

Spend more time around the greens.

Learn to chip, punch & pitch.

Learn a smooth swing.

Dont try to hit the ball too hard.

Harder is not better.

Dont try and "go for it" on every shot.

Take some lessons with 1 instructor (no fishing for answers or quick fixes)

get in shape, do some yoga for the back

Buy a stand bag and Walk-walk-walk (dont ever take a cart)

enjoy!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Lots of responses about lessons, be careful with that, they should be able to answer these questions "[COLOR=853C3A][URL=http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/the_instructor_quiz_nine_questions_youve_gotta_ask]The Instructor Quiz: Nine Questions You've Gotta Ask.[/URL][/COLOR]" I would send myself a note with where to find Mac O'Grady ;-)    Truthfully though, an acquaintance of my Dad's who was an instructor, spent a lot of time with Mac, and gave me some instruction that I didn't stick with but would hear again in 2009 about the way the body swings on an incline plane.  So I would tell myself that that guy would be my instructor.  I'd also get some good short game instruction from him as well, Seve model.  The note will let myself know about the correct ball flight laws, a few swing tips and to practice by making slow motion swings.

Definitely agree, back in 1990/1991 the Haney full swing and the Pelz short game/putting philosophies were dominant in my area. I suppose Chuck Cook in the early 90s would have been my best regional option. However, it might be cheaper to send a very long note (copies of Plummer/Bennett's book). Agree with sean_miller regarding Jacob's book.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Originally Posted by Elmer

Dont even pick up the 4i, replace it with a 4H or 7W.

agree with everything but this ... loves me my 4i - my favorite club  !     If you said 3i, I would agree (a hybrid replaces the 3i in my bag).

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Dear Self,

Let's spend the first year working on impact by hitting 3/4 punch swings. Realize that you have a tendency to overswing so try to swing just past 3/4 for your full swing. Know that impact is the truth and that you will find that truth in every area of the game. Enjoy golf more and don't let it get you down especially during the round because it only takes one good shot to put you right back into the mix. Learn to love putting and relish those 3 footers. Realize that golf is not your life even though you love everything about it starting with lacing up your shoes. When you take that lay-off to raise your children, practice your short game.  Know that being a great father and husband is the best thing you will ever do in life. You will pass that test with flying colors.

• Upvote 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I'd send a note to the guy sitting on the bench in high school golf class two days a week not playing for free because he didn't have any lessons or direction and instead just waited for the class to end.  It would say, "Get up.  Go and tell the teacher, "You're supposed to be a golf teacher, so teach me how to play."

If I could send a note to myself 6 years ago, it would be this:

"Just because someone works at Golfsmith doesn't mean he has a clue what he's talking about."

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Stack & Tilt didn't exist or wasn't well known to the public so I would tell myself to go to one of the TGM guys or tried a couple until I felt comfortable with one.

I would tell myself to work on impact/post impact positions, hit ball first, divots in front of ball.

I would tell myself all the downsides of mats.

I would tell myself to use video more and how to make sense of videos - where things should be when.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Quote:

Dear Self,

Let's spend the first year working on impact by hitting 3/4 punch swings. Realize that you have a tendency to overswing so try to swing just past 3/4 for your full swing. Know that impact is the truth and that you will find that truth in every area of the game.

I agree completely with tourspoon

95% of golfers should never attempt to make any full swing and should never bring the club near to parallel.

Going to any range you will see hackers hitting monster hooks and slices , with massive backswings and follow throughs.

The minute amount of extra power that can be harnessed by such an exaggerated swing can only be taken advantage of by the most talented players with great natural hand eye coordination

Why on earth would you try and hit a shot far if you cant hit it straight?

Forget about hitting a 5 iron 190 yards. Your goal should be to try and hit your 5 iron straight and down the middle, 140 yards, 10 out of 10 times. Only after you can do that should you try to hit it 160 yards, etc....

Happy New Year fellas

-Take Some Lessons, bad swing habits are hard to break.

-Practice chipping and putting, it will save you LOTS of strokes.

-Take a nice and easy swing, swing harder will not help.

Hi Bore XL 10.5*

Launcher DST 3W 15*

Rescue 09 Hybrid 19*

MX-23 Irons 4-PW

Wedges 51*,56*, 60*

Classic II Putter

B330-RX

I didn't take up the game until after I was married, so I know exactly what I would say.  To hell with the letter because I'd like to send a video clip of myself to myself as a child.  I'd package it in a big silver case and send it special delivery.........(think Total Recall)  LOL

I would introduce myself to my younger self and explain why I should take up the game as a child.  The message would end with.... ."get your butt to the golf course" .... and it would repeat/freeze that line over and over .......LO L....not "get your @ss to Mars" (ala Dennis Quade/Houser).

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Have a balanced life.  There is a time for work, play, rest, helping, and loving.

You don't have to be rich or handsome to be great.

You can earn the respect of the good people.

Always be nice to everyone.

Always smile at any rude people who were kind enough to teach you that they are to be avoided.

Always choose to enjoy being a hard worker who gets his work done.

Stay away from people who are rude or like to hurt people.

Associate with successful people who are strong enough to be kind.

Always do your best with everything you do even if you don't like it.

Be the best employee where you work.

The best athletes are the ones who are always ready to work hard learning their sport.

You don't have to be one of the best in the beginning to be State champion if you are willing to find the best coaches and work harder than anyone else.

Unfortunately most naturally gifted athletes usually don't like to work real hard, and usually quit when the going gets tough.

Don't expect beautiful women and handsome men to be as nice to be with as they are to look at.  Unfortunately beauty is more of a curse than a blessing.

Men and women of good character are worth their weight in gold.

Originally Posted by Grumpter

1) Join the high school golf team and improve your game through hard practice.

2) Don't stop playing through the college years.

3) Avoid the back injury due to pushing a shovel for 2 years after high school.

4) Buy big into Microsoft stock in the 90's and switch to Apple (stock) in the 2000's. Then you can retire young and play golf anytime you want.

Almost exactly what I was going to say!!

Note: This thread is 4409 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!