IGNORED

Playing as a single & awkward stories from who you got paired with

sflemon
Note: This thread is 4367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, i dont mind a nice talk about politics, but is this the right place for it?  Lets talk some golf.  Any way,  zip hit into a guy, we discussed it, now its over.  Now someone come up with a story that will make me piss my pants laughing!  thats what i was expecting out of this topic!

Originally Posted by mpeck24

Hey guys, i dont mind a nice talk about politics, but is this the right place for it?  Lets talk some golf.  Any way,  zip hit into a guy, we discussed it, now its over.  Now someone come up with a story that will make me piss my pants laughing!  thats what i was expecting out of this topic!

Definitely time to move on. Hey where's that "Jesus is bad" thread that Shorty started? That should take some of the heat off of Zip.

And where the hell did the gay marriage segue come from???? Seriously??

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Back on topic.....

Went out to play a quick evening 9 last week. Got paired up with two other singles that were looking to do the same thing. One of the singles, Bill, and I ended up sharing a cart. The other single, Adam, was a 16 year old kid and was not allowed to take a cart as he doesn't have his driver's license yet. Apparently Adam has an "unlimited membership" at this public course and plays there several times a week.

We start playing and right away I notice there is something "different" about Adam. Very mechanical, almost robotic speaking voice. Seems to be a real stickler for the rules whereas I'm just out for a little practice. Starts asking me and Bill our scores after the first hole and then tries correcting us as Bill hit one OB and just did a drop like it was a lateral hazard.  He asks me what  I score on the second hole and I'm like "are we playing a match for money or something?" otherwise, why do you care what I shoot?

Now I've worked with a lot of special education kids over the years and it finally occurs to me that Adam has Asperger's.  Once I figure this out it all makes sense - robotic voice, black & white thinking, little/no regard for social niceties, adherence to rules, etc... The funniest thing was how he would state a fact but had no concept how it might make someone feel. We get to the sixth hole which has the toughest green on the course. Bill has a tricky 15 foot putt and leaves it 5 feet short. Adam looks at him and says "you need to practice your putting".  LOL! The look on Bill's face was priceless!  Talk about AWKWARD!

“You don't have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.”

~ Walter Hagen

Originally Posted by 1puttit

Back on topic.....

Went out to play a quick evening 9 last week. Got paired up with two other singles that were looking to do the same thing. One of the singles, Bill, and I ended up sharing a cart. The other single, Adam, was a 16 year old kid and was not allowed to take a cart as he doesn't have his driver's license yet. Apparently Adam has an "unlimited membership" at this public course and plays there several times a week.

We start playing and right away I notice there is something "different" about Adam. Very mechanical, almost robotic speaking voice. Seems to be a real stickler for the rules whereas I'm just out for a little practice. Starts asking me and Bill our scores after the first hole and then tries correcting us as Bill hit one OB and just did a drop like it was a lateral hazard.  He asks me what  I score on the second hole and I'm like "are we playing a match for money or something?" otherwise, why do you care what I shoot?

Now I've worked with a lot of special education kids over the years and it finally occurs to me that Adam has Asperger's.  Once I figure this out it all makes sense - robotic voice, black & white thinking, little/no regard for social niceties, adherence to rules, etc... The funniest thing was how he would state a fact but had no concept how it might make someone feel. We get to the sixth hole which has the toughest green on the course. Bill has a tricky 15 foot putt and leaves it 5 feet short. Adam looks at him and says "you need to practice your putting".  LOL! The look on Bill's face was priceless!  Talk about AWKWARD!

So funny! I wrestled in high school, and there was a guy on the team just like this.  Super funny guy.

This happened a couple years ago while on vacation in Outer Banks N.C. and is a contrast in two different rounds paired with two different groups. This was before my son started playing regularly with me so I was a single at two seperate resort courses.

On day one I was paired with a father and son on the first tee. We had a little wait so we B.S.ed for a bit and they both seemed like nice guy's in a good mood. When it was our turn to tee off they pull up to the white(regular) tees. I motion to them that I would be playing from the back tees. Their mood and attitude instantly changed. They seemed visibly upset about this and I figured well they probably just think I'm some hack that will slow things down. So, we start playing and I'm easily outdriving both of them from my tees and this seemed to piss them off even more. So know I'm thinking, what the heck, It's not like I'm slowing play down, I'm actually waiting on them on every hole. Nothing crazy happened during the round but it was definitely uncomfortable, not the smiles and good nature they exhibited before we started. As the round went on I started to think they thought they were better than they really were and they didn't like someone who could actually play making them look bad, at least that's the only thing that made sense at the time. No big deal, I enjoyed the course and shook their hand at the end of the round.

So the next day I went out again to a different course and was paired up with three other singles. We are standing with the starter and he asks us what's your handicaps. Before I could even think about it two of the guy's blurted out they were 20 handicaps. So the starter say's well I'm going to put you guy's on the white tees. When it's our turn we pull up to the tee box which was out of sight of the starter and a guy from Jersey in a classic Jersey attitude say's F@&*# the starter, lets play from the back tees. In my mind I had already decided that I would just play from wherever the rest of the group was playing not knowing if any of them were as whacked out as the two I played with from the previous day. So when they all said they wanted to play from the back tees I thought well that's great for me but these guy's are going to struggle. Luckily they were all fast players so we moved along just fine, and the guy I was riding with turned out to be a awesome dude that had me cracking up all day.  After I pared the first 4 holes my new buddy leans over to me and says "Hey your not a 20 handicap". I laughed and said, I never said I was, you guy's did. He just laughed and we enjoyed the round from start to finish.

I guess it just goes to show that playing as a single is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you will get. It was just wierd on the first day because I've played a lot of golf with a lot of different people over 30-some years and I had never experienced anything like that where someone was visibly upset on what tee box you choose before you even tee off, and then be even more mad when you show that it's the correct teebox for you,,,lol!!!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Just to be clear, gang, I didn't hit into him. I mean, it's not like I hit onto a par 3 when he was still on the green.

I exaggerated when I said I parked one 20 feet behind him. More like 20 yards. Once he hit his second shot on a par 4 & was taking off in his cart, I hit.

did he leave any clubs laying on the greens that you could take?

• Upvote 2

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by mpeck24

I once got paired with Rusty, Judge Wapner's bailiff on the original People's Court.  He was with his son and a friend of his son.  He was a heck of a golfer, probably a 5 or less.  Nice guy.

I've gone out a lot as a single and have very rarely been paired with anyone that was really jerky.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Played a couple weeks ago with a buddy who's new to golf. We got paired up with another twoesome, both guys were pretty cool. One of the guys turned out be "Lesson guy" though. He didn't say anything to me but he kept giving advice to my buddy and would stand behind him on every tee and just shake his head and mumble to himself that my buddy was lined up wrong. The part that got me though was the fact that lesson guy was a beer drinking machine! we teed off at 9:00am and by the second hole this guy was pullin beers out of his cooler. He had to drink at least a beer a hole for the rest of the round. I mean this guy couldn't walk from the cart to the tee box without bringing his beer with him. He never got beligerent or offensive, it just shocked me that somebody could drink that much, that fast, that early in the morning and still be able to function.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

There's a lesson guy at the range I go to. The first time he talked to me we were the only two on the range, so I took his advice and a few compliments. A little ego boost never hurt, even if his advice seemed sort of "off." Then I started seeing him more, and he was always giving unsolicited advice to people. He rocks a pony tail and a fanny pack with a walkman, and I started to get real legitimate vibes that he was some type of pervert pedophile or something. And, like your lesson guy, he can't go to the range without having a few beers. Also, I've never seen him hit a club longer than an 8i at most. He'll hit balls for a few hours, but he'll just wedge to the shorter flags the whole time. Not sure if he's a good golfer or not, just funny that he never works on anything other than the few close wedge or short iron flags. Anyway, the moral of the story is, I don't like the guy at all.

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

Played a couple weeks ago with a buddy who's new to golf. We got paired up with another twoesome, both guys were pretty cool. One of the guys turned out be "Lesson guy" though. He didn't say anything to me but he kept giving advice to my buddy and would stand behind him on every tee and just shake his head and mumble to himself that my buddy was lined up wrong. The part that got me though was the fact that lesson guy was a beer drinking machine! we teed off at 9:00am and by the second hole this guy was pullin beers out of his cooler. He had to drink at least a beer a hole for the rest of the round. I mean this guy couldn't walk from the cart to the tee box without bringing his beer with him. He never got beligerent or offensive, it just shocked me that somebody could drink that much, that fast, that early in the morning and still be able to function.

Originally Posted by Jimdangles

Ive never heard of dickies but i have played where if you dont make it past ladies tees you pull your pants around your ankles but keep your boxers on.

Same here.  I've played many o holes with my pants down.  In fact everyone in our group does just about every round we play.  In fact if you look around at the course you will normally see multiple folks with their pants around their ankles during play, at least thats been my experience.  the course we play has some pretty ridiculous ladies tee's.  Dont think I would actually pull my dick out.  Thats REALLY gay.  The pants down thing is pretty gay in itself.  Some inherent gayness built into the game from long ago I guess.

Originally Posted by abrahamx

Same here.  I've played many o holes with my pants down.  In fact everyone in our group does just about every round we play.  In fact if you look around at the course you will normally see multiple folks with their pants around their ankles during play, at least thats been my experience.  the course we play has some pretty ridiculous ladies tee's.  Dont think I would actually pull my dick out.  Thats REALLY gay.  The pants down thing is pretty gay in itself.  Some inherent gayness built into the game from long ago I guess.

ya its the game becoming more mainstream. I have never done it cuz I didn't learn the rule til i was decent and I have been good so far, have made my friends do it though. :)

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

And where the hell did the gay marriage segue come from???? Seriously??

THE very first post in this thread.

It's not really a segue, since it's in the very first post of this thread and it's at least the 2nd time that someone asked basically the same thing. I know it's 5 pages back but it's the post that got the thread started.

Zip and his escapades stole the show for a page or 2, but it's not that hard to remember how the thread got started.

:)

Haha I hate it when things get awkward like that when playing with someone, but I have never really had any weird experiences like that.

Originally Posted by Eleven

THE very first post in this thread.

It's not really a segue, since it's in the very first post of this thread and it's at least the 2nd time that someone asked basically the same thing. I know it's 5 pages back but it's the post that got the thread started.

Zip and his escapades stole the show for a page or 2, but it's not that hard to remember how the thread got started.

:)

Oh yeah, you're right. Sorry, my bad, started to read this thread a week ago and forgot the original post.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Oh yeah, you're right. Sorry, my bad, started to read this thread a week ago and forgot the original post.

I sure didn't want to come off cynical or bitchy, but it was pretty funny to me that the gay marriage thing just got lost along the way, twice :)

Not really, you had the same problem as me.  It seemed to come out of left field because the comment being addressed wasn't quoted, which is no big deal if its one of the immediately previous posts, but its hard when its 3 pages previous.

Annnyways, I don't play as a single much, but one time fairly recently I got paired up with a really nice guy in town on business/vacation from Pennsylvania.  We started talking on the putting green and he mentioned he was recently a 7 handicap so I was excited about playing with a good player, then after I saw him swing I realized that was not the case.  I figured out where the 7 came from though:  On one par 3 later in the round he lost 2 balls, one off the tee and one from the drop area and after the hole I asked him what he got there, and he said "well, I hit the ball 4 times" and he put a 4 on the scorecard as well.

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

Not necessarily. One can oppose gay marriage without being against same-sex civil unions that afford all the civil rights that married people have. I know many would say that such civil unions don't exist, but if true that's an issue with how the state defines civil unions, and not an indictment of those who prefer the word "marriage" to only apply to opposite-sex couples. The issue though is that same-sex couples want the word too, not just the civil rights.

Personally I'm not against same-sex marriage, I'm just saying that those who are aren't necessarily against others' civil rights.

i have to disagree.  "separate but equal" is what you're endorsing, and its actually disguised prejudice.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Note: This thread is 4367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!