IGNORED

The Best (worst) Spelling and Grammar Errors Thread

dak4n6

Oh, @saevel25 ... where are you???

Had to look that one up. There are too many comma rules :-\ ,

http://www.grammarly.com/handbook/punctuation/comma/23/comma-before-but/

"An independent clause is a clause that can stand alone as a sentence (i.e., it expresses a complete thought)."

Basically if the first part and the 2nd part can stand alone as their own sentence, then a comma is required. If either one doesn't then a comma is not required.

I would say just use the damn comma :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had to look that one up. There are too many comma rules ,

http://www.grammarly.com/handbook/punctuation/comma/23/comma-before-but/

Reminds me of Brian Regan's "Stupid in School" bit:

"Hey Brian, do you know the I before E rule?"

"Umm, I before E ... always???"

"What are you, an idiot, Brian?"

"Uh, apparently."

"Listen Brian ... it's I before E, except after C, and when sounding like 'A', as in neighbor and weigh, and on weekends and holidays and all throughout May, and you'll always be wrong no matter what you say!"

"Wow ... that's a hard rule."

:beer:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

I was taught it was optional as well.

Not optional, situational. If the words following the "but" form a complete sentence then a comma is appropriate.

Examples:

I thought I lost my ball but, I found it.

I thought I lost my ball but eventually found it.

I was referring to your usage

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

That's very painful.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Oh, @saevel25 ... where are you???

Okay, saevel weighed in on whether or not you should use the comma, but never said anything about EJ's use of it vs. Golfingdad's.

You sure?  That does not look right to me.

It seems to me like the pause should come before the but.

I thought I lost my ball, but I found it.

P.S.  You are full of ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I saw you drop that one out of your pocket, you flippin' cheater!!!!!!!!!!!

I was nearly 100% certain you were correct about this Golfingdad. However, I looked it up to make sure. The comma does indeed come before the conjunction ("but").

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/commas.htm - rule 2

EDIT** - Then I took my lazy ass back to Saevel's post and actually clicked his link, which made it apparent that he did address this. Sorry Saevel! :doh:

In the Bag:
:titleist: 913 D3 - 9.5* - Diamana Stiff 62g
:mizuno: MP 64s 3-PW - DGS300
:cleveland: CG12 52* & 56*
:tmade: Rosa

Okay, saevel weighed in on whether or not you should use the comma, but never said anything about EJ's use of it vs. Golfingdad's.

I just like that he answered the question without acknowledging my a-hole-ish sarcasm. :beer:

I just like that he answered the question without acknowledging my a-hole-ish sarcasm.

Sarcasm??? :bugout:

Nah, I know I get ripped for my Grammar here, all fun :beer:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Nah, I know I get ripped for my Grammar here, all fun

Totally!  And I know that I don't get ripped for it enough.  I know I excessively use parenthesis ... and those dots right there - and hyphens as well, but, (I put the comma before AND after just to be safe :-P ) like you said ... its all in good fun!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by saevel25

Nah, I know I get ripped for my Grammar here, all fun

Totally!  And I know that I don't get ripped for it enough.  I know I excessively use parenthesis ... and those dots right there - and hyphens as well, but, (I put the comma before AND after just to be safe ) like you said ... its all in good fun!!

I am surprised I don't end up on here more. My continued degeneration of spelling words correctly, auto correct on my phone and a rickety lap top that has a busted up keyboard that I have to punch at times to get keys to work...

• 4 weeks later...

This thread has been stagnant for awhile, so ... why not revive it with one of our fearless leaders: :bugout:

Originally Posted by mvmac

The difference to me is decent, need it in golf to get the ball from resting on the ground into the air.

Personally, I think the difference between a baseball swing and a golf swing is quite indecent ... frankly, it's downright offensive! :-P

EDIT:  Sorry Mike ... didn't realize until a little late that this post was 3 years old!

It seems that in the past week I have read something like the following from at least 3 different posters:   "Me and my buddy did so-and-so..." or "I seen so-and-so".

I just can't take any post seriously when the poster can't grasp even the basics of the English language.

• Administrator
You do realize that you're gold and silver members are me and @Ernest Jones, right??  I don't think anybody could possibly lower their standards anymore than they already are.

He pointed it out himself, so I had to add it here. :D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This thread has been stagnant for awhile, so ... why not revive it with one of our fearless leaders:

Personally, I think the difference between a baseball swing and a golf swing is quite indecent ... frankly, it's downright offensive!

EDIT:  Sorry Mike ... didn't realize until a little late that this post was 3 years old!

Yes the statute of limitations is one year for calling someone out on a grammar mistake :naughty:

That's how we keep keep things decent around here.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Yes the statute of limitations is one year for calling someone out on a grammar mistake

That's how we keep keep things decent around here.

Ha!!  (That's a good rule ... I'd hate to make fun of @jamo for posts he made when he was in 7th grade. :banana: )  That is why I can't make too much fun of people for responding to old comments in old threads.  This happens to me occasionally:

1. Somebody digs up an old thread.
  2. I don't notice until a few new posts have been made.
  3. One of them intrigues me enough on the teaser that I click on it.
  4. Then I see that the whole thread is only 20-30 posts, so I say 'what the heck' and read the whole thing, which is where I find a comment like yours.
  5. But I never paid attention to any dates and just assumed it was an entire new thread.
  6. And it's not until after I copy your post into here, then go back and finish the thread, and see well below yours from @sean_miller and that's when I realize :doh:

Whoopsie! :whistle:

• Upvote 1

also why was my comment removed? i wasn't rude or anything like Phil is being? and his comment stayed? Would it be too much to use capital letters and proper sentences? He takes the time to use question marks... but not capitalize? My phone automatically capitalizes after punctuation...

Ha!!  (That's a good rule ... I'd hate to make fun of @jamo for posts he made when he was in 7th grade. :banana: )

LMFAO! Bazinga!!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint: