IGNORED

The Best (worst) Spelling and Grammar Errors Thread

dak4n6

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

But linguists are already telling us that the meaning has changed, and that we old codgers need to just accept it, because "very" and "really" went through this same change years ago--and now it's litterally's turn.  The definition now includes "used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true."

I'm not giving up the fight. We can change it back.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'm not giving up the fight. We can change it back.

I really hope so. :-D

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• 1 month later...

PLEASE stop saying "price point: when you mean "price".

"The only thing you have going for you is there are more golfers now than pre-pandemic.  Although a few are falling off.   You would also need a strong on-line presence.  Selling products at the same or a slightly lower price point than the discount online retailers." 

"Price point" might mean clubs (or whatever) around $500 or $1000 or$2000. And even then it's a nauseating term. It's about an area of price. But now everyone seem to use it when they simply mean "price". 

Every day I see shows on TV where people are buying something and they say : "What's the price point?" Ridiculous.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

And I need to check that I don't accidentally hit the wrong key and type a colon instead of inverted commas. :-)

32 minutes ago, Shorty said:

And even then it's a nauseating term. ... Ridiculous.

WOW, coming in strong on this one. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

55 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

WOW, coming in strong on this one. 

Yep. Because it's part of the fashion to integrate BS "business talk" into everyday speech. Like saying "going forward" all the time. A term that is redundant pretty much 100% of the time.

I'm going to work harder on my putting going forward. I mean....I'm not going to do something in the past.

1 hour ago, Shorty said:

PLEASE stop saying "price point: when you mean "price".

"The only thing you have going for you is there are more golfers now than pre-pandemic.  Although a few are falling off.   You would also need a strong on-line presence.  Selling products at the same or a slightly lower price point than the discount online retailers." 

"Price point" might mean clubs (or whatever) around $500 or $1000 or$2000. And even then it's a nauseating term. It's about an area of price. But now everyone seem to use it when they simply mean "price". 

Every day I see shows on TV where people are buying something and they say : "What's the price point?" Ridiculous.

Add “piece part” to the list. It’s either a piece or a part.?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

"price point" is different than "price." So I get that you're correct when you say "don't say price point when you mean price" but not every use of "price point" should instead be "price."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It used to drive me crazy when people would say "I could care less"....

The phrase is "I couldn't care less". If you could care less why are you telling me? If you couldn't care less that means what ever you are describing is the thing you care the least about. 

However, during the pandemic and the last two years I've mellowed. I've decided to focus on more important things. ... You know, like whether or not somebody should wear a white belt. 🤣

So now I really couldn't care less if you say I could care less or if you say I couldn't care less. Well, ... maybe I could care less, but not much less. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

"utilize" instead of "use". Seems to be sweeping the country. Technically correct, but sounds ridiculous. 

He utilized his putter from off the green. 

16 hours ago, Shorty said:

I'm going to work harder on my putting going forward. I mean....I'm not going to do something in the past.

Yeah, but what if they were announcing that they were going to start immediately and not in a week or in a month to start the 'hard work'? 😜

Vishal S.

17 hours ago, Shorty said:

Yep. Because it's part of the fashion to integrate BS "business talk" into everyday speech. Like saying "going forward" all the time. A term that is redundant pretty much 100% of the time.

Let me take this opportunity to say we once had a guy in our company who somehow managed to make it to the position of Sales Manager... even though he was really poor at making sales.  Though I wasn't part of the sales staff I often had to listen to this guy talk.  Every time he opened his mouth it was "opportunity this, opportunity that".  Never anything substantive.  Drove me nuts.  Upper management finally caught on to his BS and he was fired.

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Let me take this opportunity to say we once had a guy in our company who somehow managed to make it to the position of Sales Manager... even though he was really poor at making sales.  Though I wasn't part of the sales staff I often had to listen to this guy talk.  Every time he opened his mouth it was "opportunity this, opportunity that".  Never anything substantive.  Drove me nuts.  Upper management finally caught on to his BS and he was fired.

Business school seems to generate more than a fair share of inane phrases. Along the same lines many of the "speak to impress" crowd feel the need to use "space" when referring to an area of business, along with "what does that look like?". For example "What does success look like for a greens keeper? "Well we are familiar with the greens keeping space so can give you an idea but courses can differ." 

4 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

We had this operations manager who was a bit like that. One time, the line really messed up and called us in the figure out what went wrong and how to fix it. We went back and forth on their mistakes they made and she finally said, “well this is a teachable moment”. I said, “For you”.

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

We had this operations manager who was a bit like that. One time, the line really messed up and called us in the figure out what went wrong and how to fix it. We went back and forth on their mistakes they made and she finally said, “well this is a teachable moment”. I said, “For you”.

Oh brother!  Well, I hope she listened closely to the "lesson plan".

Just now, Double Mocha Man said:

Oh brother!  Well, I hope she listened closely to the "lesson plan".

She did not and eventually left. The line improved their performance immediately upon her departure. 

Scott

My Swing Thread