• Announcements

• iacas

Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
Sign in to follow this  
Jasonbolt

Would you use this non-conforming custom molded putter grip? (Picture)

1. 1. Would you buy this grip

• Heck yes!
    • Maybe. It depends on how good it feels in my hands.
    • No.

Jasonbolt    1

Hi there.  I'm looking to get some feedback on a product I'm working on.  The below model would be designed for players who use the left hand low (cross handed) putting grip.  The idea is that it locks your hands into the same position every time creating consistency in your putting stroke.  The only down side to the grips is that they don't conform to the rules.

• Would you use this grip if it wasn't tournament legal.
  • Would you buy it as a practice tool for off season training?
  • How much would you pay for it.

Thanks for your help!

Jasonbolt    1

Forgot to mention I would be making around 4 different styles:  conventional, conventional variation, cross handed, and claw.  Would this change your mind?

Clambake    222
Originally Posted by Jasonbolt

Would you use this grip if it wasn't tournament legal.

Would you buy it as a practice tool for off season training?

How much would you pay for it.

• No, I would not use the grip if it isn't legal.     There are plenty of different size and shape grips that are legal, and have no issues finding something I like.
  • No, I would not use it as a training tool.    Gripping the putter isn't something that I need training on; I need practice stroking putts and ingraining the stroke, not the grip.
  • Zero $.    Actually that's not correct because even if you gave them away for free I wouldn't use one for the above reasons.

Beachcomber    204

This may be good for instructional use.  Like for beginners?  But beyond that... I don't see a use.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Negatory. I think it's a slippery slope to suggest there is a "correct" way to hold the putter, even when talking in generalities (cross-hand, conventional, claw, etc.). The best grip is the one that allows you to repeat a good putting stroke.

mtsalmela80    27

I Hate practicing thread necromancy, butI felt the need to chime in. Golf fanatics I believe hate the idea of non confirming equipment, even if all their play is strictly casual. I could say I have a normal looking driver that let's you hit it 400 and dead center every time, and I believe everyone here would give the same response. Non conforming seems arbitrary when it comes to some things, but non conforming is non conforming. Why don't I just shoot the ball out of a mortar or slingshot then?

NOW. I believe there is a market for non conforming equipment that claims drastic improvement, but it aint the sand trap! Christ I'm sure we have all seen things like that putter that looks like a hammer, I mean they have to sell some of them!

boogielicious    1,159

No.  I am comfortable with my current midsize pistol grip.  My issue with training tools like this, is that you are not working with what you will have on the course.  I tend to minimize the use to training devices unless I can translate them to the course.

Bullitt5339    29
Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

Negatory. I think it's a slippery slope to suggest there is a "correct" way to hold the putter, even when talking in generalities (cross-hand, conventional, claw, etc.). The best grip is the one that allows you to repeat a good putting stroke.

I would have to agree with this 100%, which is why I voted NO......

turtleback    484
Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

I Hate practicing thread necromancy, butI felt the need to chime in. Golf fanatics I believe hate the idea of non confirming equipment, even if all their play is strictly casual. I could say I have a normal looking driver that let's you hit it 400 and dead center every time, and I believe everyone here would give the same response. Non conforming seems arbitrary when it comes to some things, but non conforming is non conforming. Why don't I just shoot the ball out of a mortar or slingshot then?

NOW. I believe there is a market for non conforming equipment that claims drastic improvement, but it aint the sand trap! Christ I'm sure we have all seen things like that putter that looks like a hammer, I mean they have to sell some of them!

Not to mention the double faced chippers.

Valleygolfer    310

No. Using it in play would taint my rounds. I don't care if they are casual rounds. I compare myself to others that I expect are not cheating. Although I will never make as a pro, I at least know where I stand when I play legit.

Rundmc    0

Your product gives me some hope for my son!

I need something for my son who has handicapped fingers (6 joints as opposed to 18). I require something that can mold to fit his grip and be something I could transfer between each club or have a dozen made that could get put on a set of clubs.

Could you assist?

PS.

Legal or not golf should be about fun and spending time with your kids as they grow up!

Shorty    567

This thread is very old, but.....

Why would I buy a grip that forces me to grip the way someone else does, even as a "training aid"?

I seriously doubt whether repeating a putting grip, which is a very individual thing, is a problem for many golfers.

And, if it were, what are the chances that this particular one would suit them?

Hate to be negative, but this is not going to work out for you.