IGNORED

Tiger and Rory paired together: 2013 Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

I think it was the kind of fat shot that flips the toe over and delofts the club and you don't hit it so much thin as you do a low almost-quick hook. It wasn't thin.

Where's the slow motion camera when you need it?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

Is it time to start the poll about who slips furthest down the rankings this year - Tiger or Rory - or is that a little premature?

I would say this is definitely premature.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

For Rory, the verdict will be out for the next month because he doesn't play again until the WGC-Match Play Championship.  That's probably a blessing in disguise because he will have plenty of time to work on things to ensure he comes in ready to contend.

For Tiger, it's probably not the end of the world either.  This will give him extra time to get ready to play at Torrey Pines, and he has an amazing record at the event.  I'm sure he will get a few of the kinks ironed out and be ready to contend next week.

It's definitely a huge buzzkill for both guys because it was supposed to be a big week for golf, but that's how it goes sometimes.  I think both will come out of this better than some expect.  My money is still on them finishing 1-2 at season's end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

They changed Tiger's score on one hole from a 5 to a 7 and now he's shot +3 I guess.

Improper drop.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/8856358/tiger-woods-rory-mcilroy-miss-cut-abu-dhabi

Quote:

Woods, who was making his first start of the 2013 season, mistakenly thought he could take relief from an imbedded lie on the fifth hole, and had even sought fellow player Martin Kaymer to ask his opinion. Kaymer agreed, so Woods took a drop.

A writer following the group asked a rules official about the situation, and sure enough, the European Tour's Andy McFee determined that it was a sandy area to the right of the fifth fairway, meaning Woods was not entitled to a drop; he should have played it as it lay or taken an unplayable lie, a one-stroke penalty.

McFee approached Woods on the 11th hole to inform him there was an issue, and Woods played the rest of the round unsure if he would be penalized or not, likely fearing the worst.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

After 15 holes, neither man is making a case for the Covert Driver...

Edit - At least Tiger's putting stroke looked "freed up", and then he 3 putted the last hole.... ugh.

Both players were off - apparently, Tiger spent time in the offseason trying to woo Elin back, and Rory had to deal with business and new clubs. It's bound to only get better for both of them.

The success of the Covert Driver remains a "secret" at this point.

Sir Nick said it well when he said something to this effect..."Having risen to the #1 position in golf  and considering the next 10 years, what would a golfer rather have - all the cash or 10 majors?"

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Originally Posted by colin007

Nobody really thinks it's the clubs...honestly these guys can hit anything. They just played poorly.

No kidding. Plus, I'm pretty sure Nike can make the clubs to be whatever Rory wants them to be ie: identical to what he was playing last year. As someone else stated above somewhere, the change in balls would probably have more impact than the clubs.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Old1964

Sir Nick said it well when he said something to this effect..."Having risen to the #1 position in golf  and considering the next 10 years, what would a golfer rather have - all the cash or 10 majors?"

The answer?

Both.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Would you take the money?

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Remember that quote when he finishes the year with 6 wins and a major.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Well that lasted all of one round..... The Nike people must be going crazy (haven't seen this in this thread yet, apologies if it's somewhere further up).

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

Would you take the money?

Great question.

If I was no. 1 in the world, at the top of my game,  and expected to make a few million in the upcoming season with my current clubs, would I jeopardize that? Probably not. For me, I think I could live well on a few million and enjoy not having to change anything.

On the other hand, though Rory didn't answer the reporter's question about his contractual obligations - as to whether he could swap out clubs (e.g. his putter), I suspect he must have that freedom. If that's the case, I would take the money and then play whatever clubs felt best to me. Of course, all this is merely academic as neither one of them play Mizzys.

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

I really don't think the poor showing by Team Nike was due to equipment, more likely a combination of rust and additional pressure to win.  Rory has never had to play with this much pressure in terms of expectations and press.  Tiger probably feels the added pressure to prove he's still the #1 golfer and not just keeping the seat warm for Rory in the Nike stables.

Rory has the additional distraction of never having played in a tournament with his Nike clubs.  No matter how close they might resemble his Titleist clubs, he can't have the same level of confidence with them.  We all know if a golfer lacks confidence he's going to have issues on the course.

Joe Paradiso

Quick question regarding Tiger's penalty:

He thought he was entitled to free relief from an embedded ball so he took a drop.  That drop would be within a club or two of the original spot I assume.  If he had called it unplayable, the drop would have been the same, no?  So it seems to me like he played it exactly the same way he would have played it had he called it unplayable, but since he didn't actually announce it as 'unplayable' he gets a 2-stroke penalty instead of 1?

Seems silly.  Why couldn't they just have told him "Hey Tiger, you weren't entitled to the [free] drop from the embedded ball because you were in sand so we're gonna have to call it unplayable and give you a stroke penalty?"

Great question.

If I was no. 1 in the world, at the top of my game,  and expected to make a few million in the upcoming season with my current clubs, would I jeopardize that? Probably not. For me, I think I could live well on a few million and enjoy not having to change anything.

On the other hand, though Rory didn't answer the reporter's question about his contractual obligations - as to whether he could swap out clubs (e.g. his putter), I suspect he must have that freedom. If that's the case, I would take the money and then play whatever clubs felt best to me. Of course, all this is merely academic as neither one of them play Mizzys.

So, if you were No. 1 in the world at 23 years old and was contractually obligated to play 14 of their clubs, you would not take a guaranteed 250million deal over 10 years?  Especially when the #2 golfer (former #1 for 600+ days) also signed to the company has 60+ wins and 10+ majors with the same brand.  Furthermore, at 23 years of age, you have endless amounts of time to get accustomed to the equipment?  And again, you are 23 years old with 25 millions guaranteed dollars in the bank for the next 10 years?  You really really really really really really really really think you would say...NO.

I find that very hard to believe and judgement on Rory's decision is hypocritical.  Even if Rory suffers this season, it's still only a season when he has 20+ years of "seasons" left in him.

Anyone passing judgement on Rory's decision today has a severe case of short sided vision.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Note: This thread is 4111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!