IGNORED

The 2013 Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by MasterCard

Rick Martin
Note: This thread is 4057 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

its easy to blame everyone else than to say "I teach my kids the proper way to behave". Who are you to determine what someone else can and can't say in public? If their comment isn't directed at you or your kid, then you're just being overly sensitive to the situation and looking to have an issue, IMO.

I've been around athletes my whole life...everyone of us curse(except the preachers...they use replacement words like "fudge" or "dangit"..but if you still intend it the same way..whats the difference?) a word is a word...

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

None of you better let your kids watch football then either.  I can't remember the last time I watched when it didn't take a trained lip reader to know what was spewing from a coach's mouth.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

John Huh was doing so well until the final day.  I was unable to keep up on the news, now  travelling, so was disappointed to find he shot 80 the  last day at Arnies Place .  Really blew  the prize money with that one. And i do not see his name on TV list of Presidents Cup possible players.  Born in NYC,  so unless he changed his passport, he should be good to go.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Rick Martin

Funny how I've yet to hear a single mother****er (even this MB censors the language) it while watching the LPGA events (also high stress, high stakes).  Don't hear it during the national amateur events. Rarely hear it from other players on the PGA tour. But TW gets a pass.

I hear it all the time when I attend events. Ian Poulter still sits high atop the mantle of worst outbursts I've ever seen. Said the F word or a variation of it more than ten times in a 60 second span, including flipping the bird and using other curse words. :)

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

If Ben Crane or another everyday PGA tour player were to get in the habit of throwing out a GD or MF, I'm absolutely positive that he'd be crucified more so than TW.

Tiger actually swears less than most other players in my estimation.

Originally Posted by turtleback

When they started putting mics on players during rounds.  You're dreaming if you think this hasn't been going on for a looooong time - way before Tiger came along.  And you're dreaming if you think that there aren't a hundred other guys out there that do the exact same thing,  But they are not constantly in camera and directional mikes..

Yup.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

Are you telling me that if I don't want my children listening to vulgar language (in public), I can't take them to a baseball game? Because its a "drinking event"?

yes i'm saying that, though people cuss when they're sober, too...just better at the censoring skills in that state ;)  and as others pointed out, they will hear swearing at school if nothing else.  if you home school your kids then i guess really there is no answer that will satisfy you.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

It's also a "sport that is played by highly competitive people (of all backgrounds and personalities) trying to" just have a good time and shoot the best score they can.  Some of them get a bit overly enthusiastic in choosing their epithets, too.

no joke.  if cussing were a two stroke penalty in the game of golf, i'd probably stop playing.  in fact i kind of chuckled at TW's use of GD the other day because it wasn't a seriously pissed off reaction so much as a "you've got to be kidding me," and it's a phrase in which i use daily on the course in the same manner.  as an adult i can empathize and laugh that one off.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

Funny how I've yet to hear a single mother****er (even this MB censors the language) it while watching the LPGA events (also high stress, high stakes).  Don't hear it during the national amateur events. Rarely hear it from other players on the PGA tour. But TW gets a pass.

If Ben Crane or another everyday PGA tour player were to get in the habit of throwing out a GD or MF, I'm absolutely positive that he'd be crucified more so than TW.

Im not sure what LPGA Events you're watching because it happens all the time. Morgan Pressel dropped an F-Bomb and here is Suzanne P with one of her own.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

To many previous posts directed at me to quote them all, so here goes:

I don't belive I ever stated that I could dictate what others would say or that my children will never hear or see things.  I also don't believe it is a good thing to be overly protective.

I simply stated that I would prefer that my children (at a young age) would not have to listen to profanity, and if confronted with it, would ask the person (nicely) to refrain while my children are near.  Is that so wrong?

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

To many previous posts directed at me to quote them all, so here goes:

I don't be live I ever stated that I could dictate what others would say or that my children will never hear or see things.  I also don't believe it is a good thing to be overly protective.

I simply stated that I would prefer that my children (at a young age) would not have to listen to profanity, and if confronted with it, would ask the person (nicely) to refrain while my children are near.  Is that so wrong?

I'm a dad myself so I get where you're coming from, but I think it depends where you are. If you and your family are out for dinner and you get some jerk in the next booth hurling expletives then I would do the same thing. But I think sporting events are off limits. Mostly guys go to get away from wives or everyday life to cheer on their team and curse and boo at the opposing team. I live near the Oakland Coliseum and as a Niner fan I've been cursed at by men and women just walking to my seats for an exhibition game.  I guess you have to pick your spots.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

If you and your family are out for dinner and you get some jerk in the next booth hurling explitives then I would do the same thing.

I disagree.

We need people like this so we can point out f$&king; fingers and say 'That's the bad guy.'  Does that make us good?  We're no good.  We just know how to hide, how to lie.  People like this don't have that problem.  They always tell the truth ... even when they lie.  So ... say good night to the bad guy.

• Upvote 2

I'm a dad myself so I get where you're coming from, but I think it depends where you are. If you and your family are out for dinner and you get some jerk in the next booth hurling expletives then I would do the same thing. But I think sporting events are off limits. Mostly guys go to get away from wives or everyday life to cheer on their team and curse and boo at the opposing team. I live near the Oakland Coliseum and as a Niner fan I've been cursed at by men and women just walking to my seats for an exhibition game.  I guess you have to pick your spots.

I don't feel that is an environment for children either, but what do you do in that situation?  Not bring your children to any sporting events until they are a certain age?

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I don't feel that is an environment for children either, but what do you do in that situation?  Not bring your children to any sporting events until they are a certain age?

Im looking forward to taking my son to his first Niner game but yeah it wont be for a while. Im thinking 10 or 11 years old. Until then, we'll continue to put on our Red and Gold and watch it in HD.

Are you telling me that if I don't want my children listening to vulgar language (in public), I can't take them to a baseball game? Because its a "drinking event"?

If you and your spouse conduct yourself in a manner at home in front of the kids that does not involve swearing, then the lessons that you instill in them shouldn't affect them if they hear a couple of loose words during a sporting event live or on TV.  In fact, it will present an opportunity to teach your children when those situations arise which will work to your benefit anyway (as we are always striving to teach our children by using examples).

I wouldn't worry about it too much if you are doing your due diligence (which I am sure you are) as a parent.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

If you and your spouse conduct yourself in a manner at home in front of the kids that does not involve swearing, then the lessons that you instill in them shouldn't affect them if they hear a couple of loose words during a sporting event live or on TV.  In fact, it will present an opportunity to teach your children when those situations arise which will work to your benefit anyway (as we are always striving to teach our children by using examples).

I wouldn't worry about it too much if you are doing your due diligence (which I am sure you are) as a parent.

Your post is great.  We participate in a very outgoing activity (skydiving) and people are pretty loose in their verbage and evenings at the bonfire get wild at times.  Our daughter has been around it since an infant (17 now).  We personally don't talk or act that way (as much) or do some of the evening hijinx you see.  There are LOT of great and decent people, but there's all other kinds too - just like any other activity I suppose.

She's actually a much more clean/conservative kid than we could possibly deserve (she makes good and responsible personal decisions).  I asked her once what she thought of a couple of the regulars that in our local camping crew after seeing them acting out and swearing, etc etc.  She just looks me in the eyes and said, "Dad, I know who in our group are good role models and who are just bad examples.  It's not a matter of age when people are playing."  We've always tried to teach her to judge people by their actions only, not appearance, not their words, but their actions and character only.

of course, a couple years earlier, she had asked me why one guy was acting really stupid.  I looked her in the eyes and said, "because he's a dumba**, sweetie".  She was very thoughtful for a bit and then said, "ok, I understand".  I'm proud - and absolutely terrified when she finally does break out of her shell - hopefully in college after out of the house....

You can't choose how other people act (except for being courteous to them while requesting they do the same to you).  But you absolutely can affect your kid's maturity by walking the talk yourself.

Bill - 

Im not sure what LPGA Events you're watching because it happens all the time. Morgan Pressel dropped an F-Bomb and here is Suzanne P with one of her own.

Shame on both of them. Gutter mouths. Again, professional golfers need to clean up their acts.  Maybe TV broadcasters need to stop placing mics a few feet from the golfers if the "pros" can't show enough self discipline to filter their language.

And to compare the game of golf to NFL/NBA is laughable. But that's another topic for discussion.

• Upvote 1

I wonder why people who are offended by cursing do not shoot the person using bad language? That wou teach kids to not to curse. Killing people or other violence seems to offend people far less than words...

Note: This thread is 4057 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!