IGNORED

2013 Players at TPC Sawgrass, Tiger and Sergio Feud Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note:Β This thread is 4006 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Originally Posted by colin007

How about the stones it took to hit a draw into that pin position in 18? Not to mention the tee shot...

That was a Chamblee special. "Oh, I can't hit a draw? Sure, no problem. I'll hit 2 back to back on the hardest hole on the course"

Tiger could have just hit his second shot into the front center of the green and let it feed to the hole like it did for Maggert and Witttenberg, but he took that statement shot

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Originally Posted by MEfree

Interesting, that is not how I have seen it explained by announcers at other events- always thought ties were broken by who completed their round first with first in being last out.

Yes when they are in different groups, Β When they are in the same group it is who had the honors on #1.

Originally Posted by clutchshot

Sergio really has become a little whiny baby lately. You are at a professional golf event, there is going to be cheering in the background...

Only if by lately you mean for about the last 10 years. Β I remember when he hit the flagstick at the British Open and his ball bounced far from the hole, and he complained that he gets this kind of break but of Tiger hit the stick it would top by the hole . Β I remember the US Open at Bethpage Black in 2002 when he complained that the USGA did not stop play because of the rain but they would have suspended play if Tiger had been out there. Β In addition to his many other residences, Tiger has a permanent reserved room in Sergio's head.

Sergio's triple dunking on 17 and 18 today was just the golf gods' way of letting us know who was right in the silly pulling the club dispute. The real question is whether this will spark another of the famous Sergio funks where he isn't heard from for a year or two, competitively.

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

I must say, Sergio took this a lot better than I thought he would. I said somewhere on this forum that the turning point of his career would be when, instead of standing defeated in the face of luck/fate/what have you, he stands defiant of it; Phil didn't start winning majors until his outlook changed. I don't think Sergio's quite there yet, but he's a lot closer than he was a week ago.

I am not a huge fan of Sergio but I like how he went for the win at the end instead of going for the sure 2nd or 3rd place finish like he could have.

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

I am not a huge fan of Sergio but I like how he went for the win at the end instead of going for the sure 2nd or 3rd place finish like he could have.

I'm not sure that was the hole to do it with tho. A miss on that hole ends your tournament, a par keeps you alive. you can still birdie 18

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Originally Posted by Cheners

Given how beautifully Tiger is hitting his 3 wood and 5 wood, and given how tight Merion will play, will he leave the driver out of the bag at Merion? Should he?

I don't think he will leave it out of the bag. Β But he will definitely use it sparingly.

Ironically, going for that pin assured of him of not winning. Β Playing to the middle of the green would have given him just as much chance to win, albeit likely in a playoff.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I just wish Garcia had hit those shots out of a tree at seventeen. I did gain a lot more respect for him with his play and his demeanor with the media. Even with tiger the day before, just good old sportsmanship

And it doesn't hurt woods' chances with his watermelons kicking the ball back toward the fairway on 6

Golf ain't football soccer or basketball. Its not meant for fans going bananas either. Sergio might do bettter with a pacifier though. I saw it too. Fans kicking the ball back towards the clear

After this win it still stands that Riviera is the course where Tiger has his worst record. Would love to see him try to tackle that course again since it's such a fun tournament to watch.

Tiger Woods Owes Rivera play. That tournament, was if I am wrong, "correct me"...his first PGA event allbeit it as an amateur. Jerry West begged him to play the Northern Trust Open. Man up Tiger you owe Rivera a play.

Originally Posted by noSnowman

Golf ain't football soccer or basketball. Its not meant for fans going bananas either.

Sergio might do bettter with a pacifier though.

I saw it too. Fans kicking the ball back towards the clear

They did the same for Arnie.

I don't hear people bitch' about Arnie or his womanizing.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

Originally Posted by colin007

i give sergio total credit for facing the media.

I have more respect for his reaction to his shots on 17th and his talking to the media afterwards than I did before this tournament.Β Β  Can't believe he was heckled by fans who would couldn't break 120 on this course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

I must say, Sergio took this a lot better than I thought he would. I said somewhere on this forum that the turning point of his career would be when, instead of standing defeated in the face of luck/fate/what have you, he stands defiant of it; Phil didn't start winning majors until his outlook changed. I don't think Sergio's quite there yet, but he's a lot closer than he was a week ago.

Same here. I don't think many realize this. Like in NASCAR, he gunned it in the final lap but crashed and burned in the process.Β  Just got to wonder about his strategy.

• Upvote 1

it WAS a choke.Β  he's a top tour pro with a wedge in his hand...and came up well short.Β  What else do you call it?

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Originally Posted by Paradox

it WAS a choke.Β  he's a top tour pro with a wedge in his hand...and came up well short.Β  What else do you call it?

I agree.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Maybe it was all those dry crackers his mommy put in his lunch. :-p Sorry, I rarely rag on a player because let's face it, they are all infinitely good but Sergio is just such big baby it's hard not to dislike him. I also felt like he was trying to put on a whole "happy go lucky" front on Sunday as if to say, "see look, I'm a great guy when that stupid Tiger isn't around to ruin my round."

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

It was a choke, he's a whiner, but I don't wish that kind of finish on anyone.

God knows I have had plenty of them. HA!

Note:Β This thread is 4006 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!