IGNORED

Fox Sports 2015 U.S. Open Thread (Joe Buck, Greg Norman)

ChrisP
Note: This thread is 3187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Looks like FOX has it's broadcast team for the U.S. Open.  I like Buck in other sports but not sure if he has a "golf" voice.  Norman never seems to like a shot he didn't hit, so that should be interesting.

Oh the humanity. So much for enjoying that tournament anymore.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am not looking forward to Joe Buck.  I dislike his announcing style. I will give Norman the benefit of the doubt because I have not heard him announce.  He certainly is knowledgeable.

Agree.  I've never cared for Joe Buck.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• 4 months later...

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2014/12/10/norman-on-fox-debut-i-think-going-in-ill-be-as-nervous-as-i.html

Craig Handel of the News Press sat down Tuesday with Greg Norman and announcer Joe Buck, fresh off a Shark Shootout pro-am round to talk about Saturday's first telecast (Thursday and Friday on Golf Channel will also be helmed by Fox's production team).

Norman added, “I think going in I’ll be as nervous as I was walking the first tee at Augusta National ...

“I’ve done a lot of things in my life, but this ranks in my top five. I’m really excited and want to make this work.”

While Buck said that’s a style he tries to emphasize for all sports, Norman said, “There will be moments when I’ll probably have to know when to carry it with silence or carry it by talking. Many people have asked, ‘What would you have said in the booth when Tiger improperly placed the ball on the 15th hole?’ I said I would’ve called it. You make the comment and live with the consequences.”

Based on their 20-minute interview Tuesday, the two seem comfortable with each other.

Buck said, “Greg is the most interesting man in the world and I’m just drafting off that.”

When asked about the course, Buck quickly quipped, “I don’t like it.”

Quickly responding, Norman said, “That’s because you never were on the course.”

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

He wouldn't have simply called it, he would never have let go.  Buck is more interested in manufacturing drama that captivates the fringe viewer than anything else.  Get ready for pre-planned "story lines" that will be shoved down your throat for 4 days while you try to follow what is actually happening on the course.  This is going to be a disaster.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

He wouldn't have simply called it, he would never have let go.  Buck is more interested in manufacturing drama that captivates the fringe viewer than anything else.  Get ready for pre-planned "story lines" that will be shoved down your throat for 4 days while you try to follow what is actually happening on the course.  This is going to be a disaster.

That was a confusing paragraph ... I thought it was Norman saying that. Regardless, I don't see why all the hatred towards Joe Buck. I think he'll be fine.

That was a confusing paragraph ... I thought it was Norman saying that. Regardless, I don't see why all the hatred towards Joe Buck. I think he'll be fine.

You are right, I misread it. I don't know enough about Norman to have an opinion, but I can't stand buck.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Love me some Joe Buck, he'll be great. It's not really the play-by-play guys that get much attention anyway, it's the analysts. Spotlight on Norman. Looking forward to him; in the 1st year or so, he won't be pulling punches. He'll learn to mellow out over time, if he makes it. I anticipate some news-making quotes from him. Should be fun.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Joe buck is the worst. Get ready for snarky sarcasm and predetermined "story lines" trumping anything that's happening on the course.

I think that predetermined story lines and video essay style editorializing are as much a part of golf broadcasting any more as the on course action.  It's one reason why I watch so much less golf on TV than I used to.  Too many golf announcers, not just Buck, try to be the stars of the show, and that isn't supposed to be their job.  They should be describing the action and leave the personal opinion out of it.  The stars are the players, and they should be the ones in the limelight.  The announcers should be speaking in hushed voices when they speak at all, and then only saying enough to keep the viewer informed.  Most of their audience is composed of golfers who don't need or want long-winded essays when there is action on the course.  Too often they cut back to prerecorded shots because the broadcast team was yammering when they should have been showing the players playing.

Losing Johnny Miller on US Open broadcasts is going to make me a lot less likely to tune in if I have anything else to do.  Johnny is my favorite guy in the booth, (and Greg Norman has always seemed as a bit of a primadona to me, although my wife always said he had a great ass :loco: ) and this change will drop the Open from first place on my list of majors to 3rd.  I realize that a one man boycott will be meaningless to the the USGA, but I'm inclined to still write them about my extreme disappointment.   As a member since 1987, I find this to be the poorest decision they have made during my time.

I will make a point of watching some of it to give Norman and Buck a fair hearing, and I would love to be proved wrong.  I just hope that Fox maintains some level of dignity and drops the stupid NFL/MLB robot.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I will miss Johnny Miller, the best broadcaster in golf. Buck is a pro and he'll be fine. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now, but I don't like Greg Norman even a little bit. I will be surprised if he doesn't inject himself into the drama, as he is wont to do. He like the words "me" and "I" a lot.

In the end, it won't make any difference to me, and I will be watching because it is the US Open.

• Upvote 1

Bill M

I will miss Johnny Miller, the best broadcaster in golf. Buck is a pro and he'll be fine. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now, but I don't like Greg Norman even a little bit. I will be surprised if he doesn't inject himself into the drama, as he is wont to do. He like the words "me" and "I" a lot. In the end, it won't make any difference to me, and I will be watching because it is the US Open.

Bingo. Exactly how I feel. Hopefully Norman turns out to be good but who knows? Otherwise, doesn't really matter much cuz it's still about the golf, not the guys talking about it.

I will make a point of watching some of it to give Norman and Buck a fair hearing, and I would love to be proved wrong.  I just hope that Fox maintains some level of dignity and drops the stupid NFL/MLB robot.

Funny... I would cringe to see the attempt at a golfer robot. Perfy sinking a putt and then dancing around the screen? Ooofff...

• 2 months later...

Not sure this was posted, but the tv schedule came out for the Open. A bit different than NBC who used to telecast live on Thursdays and Fridays in the afternoon (ESPN the rest). Fox will broadcast on their main station Thursday and Friday 8-11 PM (Fox Sports 1 will have it from Noon-8). Of course, with this being in Washington, going to be a lot of primetime coverage, including a finish deep into primetime Sunday night.

• June 18 (Thursday) – First Round, Noon-8 p.m. (Fox Sports 1); 8-11 p.m. (Fox)

• June 19 (Friday) – Second Round, Noon-8 p.m. (Fox Sports 1); 8-11 p.m. (Fox)

• June 20 (Saturday) – Third Round, 2-10 p.m. (Fox); 7-10 p.m. (Fox Deportes)

• June 21 (Sunday) – Final Round, 2-10:30 p.m. (Fox); 7:30-10:30 p.m. (Fox Deportes)

The one thing I'll miss about ESPN is the coverage. ESPN used to market the Open nicely. FoxSports 1 is not a very popular network and no one will even know where to even find it. Nevertheless, 38.5 hours of golf is nice. You won't miss a thing.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/02/04/fox-sports-announces-2015-usga-championships-multi-platform-coverage-schedule/359566/

Not sure this was posted, but the tv schedule came out for the Open. A bit different than NBC who used to telecast live on Thursdays and Fridays in the afternoon (ESPN the rest). Fox will broadcast on their main station Thursday and Friday 8-11 PM (Fox Sports 1 will have it from Noon-8). Of course, with this being in Washington, going to be a lot of primetime coverage, including a finish deep into primetime Sunday night. • June 18 (Thursday) – First Round, Noon-8 p.m. (Fox Sports 1); 8-11 p.m. (Fox) • June 19 (Friday) – Second Round, Noon-8 p.m. (Fox Sports 1); 8-11 p.m. (Fox) • June 20 (Saturday) – Third Round, 2-10 p.m. (Fox); 7-10 p.m. (Fox Deportes) • June 21 (Sunday) – Final Round, 2-10:30 p.m. (Fox); 7:30-10:30 p.m. (Fox Deportes)

Those are all live broadcasts, not re-runs? I like it.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Those are all live broadcasts, not re-runs? I like it.

Yup all live. It's a West Coast Open so it's going primetime and Fox is definitely taking it as deep into primetime as they possibly can.

• 3 months later...

I wanted to start a thread that solely discussed Fox's broadcast of the US Open. I had a couple of thoughts:

* I think Joe Buck is one of the best ever doing baseball and is good doing football. But at times he never felt comfortable today. I know he loves golf but he seemed to be quite unsure of himself at times.

* I think Greg Norman is terrible. He provided very little insight that I didn't know myself. He had Phil Simms disease - stating the obvious like "it is going to be hard to hit it out of the rough here" or "he relies on his caddy for help."

* I thought Natalie Gulbis was going to be on the broadcast. I saw her in the background following Phil and Bubba, but she never got to talk on the broadcast.

* I think Steve Flesch is really good. He needs to be next to Joe Buck never.

* I think Holly Sonders is having some doubts about her move to Fox. She is quite far down the on-air totem pole. I thought she was going to be the #2 host after Buck.

* Juli Inkster is good on the broadcast.

* Fox can't get the levels right. It sounds like a local country club scramble instead of a major.

What's In My Bag...
Driver: Callaway Razr X Black 10.5*
FW / Hybrid: Nike T40 4W 17* / Nike CPR 24*
Irons: Callaway Razr X HL 5I-SW
Putter: Nike Method Core Putter
Balls: Nike PD Soft

Note: This thread is 3187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!