IGNORED

Fox Sports 2015 U.S. Open Thread (Joe Buck, Greg Norman)

ChrisP
Note: This thread is 3208 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Okay, we now know Ryan Moore is a "local hope 3 time USGA Champion," droned into us after 2 days... :-$

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Okay, we now know Ryan Moore is a "local hope 3 time USGA Champion," droned into us after 2 days...:-$

I feel like I've just read [Url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilfrid_Reid#/media/File:WReid.jpg]Wilfrid Reid's stationery![/Url]

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I read your post last night and then within a few minutes Justin Rose made a decent length putt on his final hole and Norman said something along the lines of "you're gonna feel better on Thursday night if you shoot a 72 rather than a 73." I tad Simms-esque, and even Madden-esque, but with his Australian accent it sounds kinda charming. :-P

The Brits call those [URL=https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Colemanballs]"Colemanballs."[/URL]

Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Jim Nantz, we need you.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Where is Greg today?  I guess he drew the afternoon shift.

Steve Flesch doing a nice job holding down the fort.

I loved those slow mo shots of Rickie's driver off the deck and then Tiger's 3-wood. Why don't they do more of that?????

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

One of the first things I notice about the broadcast is the audio quality:  The talking heads all sound very tinny--not much bass, and a little distorted.  That's not even getting to what they're saying. For all of the high tech they seemed to promise, I just want to turn the sound off.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Okay, we now know Ryan Moore is a "local hope 3 time USGA Champion," droned into us after 2 days...

Yeah, but did you know Jordan Spieth is 21 years old?  I bet not. ;)

• Upvote 1

The four-man booth in the tower right now is working better than the Buck-Norman duo. The main commentary crew could definitely use one of these guys, and it probably doesn't hurt that they have more golf broadcast experience than the A-team.

The four-man booth in the tower right now is working better than the Buck-Norman duo. The main commentary crew could definitely use one of these guys, and it probably doesn't hurt that they have more golf broadcast experience than the A-team.

Agreed- I think you mean Shane/Pavin/Flesch/Hanse.

Not much technology this morning by Fox. Jason Day approach on that par 3 3rd hole is the first I've seen in a while. No "chase cam" yet either! (what is that for anyway???).

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

One of the first things I notice about the broadcast is the audio quality:  The talking heads all sound very tinny--not much bass, and a little distorted.  That's not even getting to what they're saying. For all of the high tech they seemed to promise, I just want to turn the sound off.

I find the video quality and the camera work deplorable.  How many times do they show the green as the ball is coming in and you have no clue where the ball is  On a couple of occasions the camera man never DID find the ball and the director switched away.  Same with drives.  I don't know if they aren't using the right filters (there seemed to be a lot of subtle glare) or having focusing problems or what.

They have also done a poor job, IMO, in explaining and framing the holes.  When guys tee off it is very difficult to see what the target or even the target line, is.  Or on an approach it is almost impossible to see where the green is, let alone the flag.  Visually this is probably the worst major in recent memory, which is a shame because the course looks pretty spectacular.

I hope they figure it out by Sunday.

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

They've done some wide shots that I've liked quite a lot. One par 3 (pretty sure it was 17) where they stayed on the camera from behind the green as the ball landed and rode the slope towards the hole on Spieth's tee shot. That was pretty cool. [quote name="Golfingdad" url="/t/69068/fox-sports-2015-u-s-open-thread-joe-buck-greg-norman/90_30#post_1157241"]Yeah, but did you know Jordan Spieth is 21 years old?  I bet not. ;) [/quote] I bet he played on Wednesday with Ben Crenshaw.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I had a feeling this was going to be bad. Little did I know. Bad camera work, bad commentary, bad graphics etc. I guess it could be worse. Fox could have inked a long term deal. Oh wait, they did! The good news is, by the time the FOX contract runs out I'll be so old I'll likely be blind and deaf.

cubdog

Ross (aka cubdog)

I'm watching it on mute. Seems pretty good to me, except for the unnecessary talking heads. Show some more golf. I love the wide shots.

Colin P.

I find the video quality and the camera work deplorable.  How many times do they show the green as the ball is coming in and you have no clue where the ball is  On a couple of occasions the camera man never DID find the ball and the director switched away.  Same with drives.  I don't know if they aren't using the right filters (there seemed to be a lot of subtle glare) or having focusing problems or what.

They have also done a poor job, IMO, in explaining and framing the holes.  When guys tee off it is very difficult to see what the target or even the target line, is.  Or on an approach it is almost impossible to see where the green is, let alone the flag.  Visually this is probably the worst major in recent memory, which is a shame because the course looks pretty spectacular.

I hope they figure it out by Sunday.

Endlessly. Half the time all I see is a screen full of brown grass being panned across by the camera. Sometimes I think the cameraman is hunting it too.

Lee

In My Bag... Driver:Titleist 913D3  3 Wood: Dunlop 16deg railer  Hybr:Titleist 910H 24deg  4-GW:Mizuno JPX825Pros

Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey 256-14  60deg: Mizuno Zoid   Putter: Odyssey WH Rossie (Left handed)

Endlessly. Half the time all I see is a screen full of brown grass being panned across by the camera. Sometimes I think the cameraman is hunting it too.

Yup.  This is infuriating.  Just happened again a few minutes ago.  Camera just pointed right at the hole and Bubbas ball was nowhere to be found.

Years ago I was at a tourney with a friend and we struck up a conversation with a CBS cameraman, and my friend asked how did they manage to follow the ball so well. The cameraman said that working the Tour every week you learn where the guys tend to hit and learn their shots, and then they kind of predict where it is going to go before they find it in the viewfinder. Fox likely has a bunch of cameramen new to golf, and they haven't learned yet how to do his. Unfortunately, they probably never will if they're only broadcasting one tournament a year. Frank Chirkinian must be rolling over in his grave.

Note: This thread is 3208 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!