IGNORED

Good Friend Is a Golf Cheater

tim1025
Note: This thread is 1423 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I really don't get the cheating at golf thing. IMO the only person getting cheated is the cheater that misses out on how rewarding golf can be. I don't get all zen out there or anything but for me it's a perfect opportunity to work at a hobby where success and progress can be easily measured by score. Pretty sure I wouldn't have the desire to play if all I did was go out there and knock it around just to write down a make believe number four hours later. Seems pointless to me.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Assuming the OP's friend knows the rules that are in place, it's up to you as to whether it's worth bringing up or not. If you feel that they truly may not know the penalties associated with improving their lie and such, just enlighten them about it. However, I'm sure that they know you are supposed to play the ball as it lies.

I have a friend that does the same thing, and he knows the rules. I typically don't mention it unless he starts to brag about his score, and then I put him in his place. Amazing how big of a difference there can be in my 78 and his 78 though.

Nicely put.

I will occasionally fluff my lie or take another off the tee, but only when I'm playing by myself or with my girlfriend. Any other time I play fair. People expect honest play from me and I expect the same from them.

Most casual golfers don't play by the rules......not even close.   If I am playing with somebody, I don't really care what they do so long as they have fun and keep up.

Most of my "regular group" in the past 15 years play real golf.  I play with plenty of people taking liberties when pairing-up, but they don't brag about scores to me.  they probably know better...LOL

I never tell people my score, unless I am asked.  I do get asked sometimes when I play well.   I guess they are curious....LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Before the start of your next round together have a little talk with your friend about what rules your gonna play by.I think ignorance of the rules in general is part of the problem but if you can get him to agree not to take free drops and bumps then maybe you can allow a mulligan here or there, fair is playing by the same rules whatever they are.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I really don't get the cheating at golf thing. IMO the only person getting cheated is the cheater that misses out on how rewarding golf can be.

Hmm, apparently you didn't hear what "they" say.

You know what they say, "If you don't cheat in golf, you only cheat yourself."

Now I'm confused! ;-)

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Most casual golfers don't play by the rules......not even close.   If I am playing with somebody, I don't really care what they do so long as they have fun and keep up.

This is very true in my experience.  I don't think I even learned most of the rules of golf until I found this site and I'm still figuring it all out.  Even when I'm playing with golfers better than me they will start a round sometimes by saying "everyone gets 1 mulligan per 9 holes"

I started playing as close to the rules as I know (I don't know every rule) because I wanted to know just where exactly my game was at.  I shoot low 90's and occasional high 80's following the rules as much as I know.  The rules I have trouble with are drops.  Such as where you drop when there is no designated drop zone.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

I started playing as close to the rules as I know (I don't know every rule) because I wanted to know just where exactly my game was at.  I shoot low 90's and occasional high 80's following the rules as much as I know.  The rules I have trouble with are drops.  Such as where you drop when there is no designated drop zone.

Agreed. I would love to know more but the rules seem pretty extensive.  If there was a brief summary of the most important or most used rules of golf I would like to see that.

Agreed. I would love to know more but the rules seem pretty extensive.  If there was a brief summary of the most important or most used rules of golf I would like to see that.

You can get the book for free https://www.usga.org/PublicationStore/PubStoreProductDetails.aspx?id=21474843679

The first or second chapter of the book starts with an overview of the most common rules that you will deal with and if I recall correctly, they use a slightly more casual language with references to the official sections.

(I'm a first-year golf and don't follow the rules _at all_ (I also don't keep score), but I got the rule book to start getting familiar with the rules, and start applying them as I play.)

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Exactly. Got serious about the game a year ago and wanted a legit handicap. I believe somebody asked me what I shoot and I said something like mid nineties. Played by the rules and shot 108. I'm sure once I get men's clubs that fit me I'll easily break 100 next time out. Anyways, bought the rule book from USGA and keep it in my bag and for bathroom reading. Whenever the PGA officials quote a rule or I see a "rule-worthy" situation on tv I whip out the book and do a little research. Golf is more fun playing by the rules IMO, but I also want to play tournaments someday and it's useful knowledge.

-Justin

My Swing

SLDR C 10.5, Aeroburner 3W/3H, MX-200 4-GW, Vokey Chrome 200 56 & 60, TM White Smoke

If someone like this wanted to gamble, I would say "Only on par-3s - we'll play closest to the pin and the only shots that count are tee shots that hit the green." That pretty much eliminates any potential for cheating unless someone says "Say, is that a bald eagle" and points away at the sky, then kicks his ball closer to the hole when everyone is distracted. I think that only works on bad sitcoms, though.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

• 6 years later...
On 8/20/2013 at 6:01 AM, Kieran123 said:

Next time do the exact same thing to him and at the end when you beat him, brag about it - and mention that improving your lie, and dropping a ball without penalty really helps and that you're glad he showed you how to do that

Exactly.  And then you could say you learned it all from him, and thank him for saving you the cost of lessons.

• 3 weeks later...

The way I see it is,whatever your buddy does is OK.  I have a tight group of friends, and we really enjoy each other's company.  If someone does the odd kick to the fairway from the rough, no on cares. If someone calls a Mulligan, no one cares.  We are just not in competition to each other. We do not play for money, we do not really compare scores (though we do share our scores and congratulate each other).  We all just love golf for golf's sake... Just my opinion.

• :callaway: Callaway Epic Flash Driver.  Epic Flash 3 Wood.  GBB Flash 5 wood.  Epic Flash 4 Hybrid
  • :cleveland: Cleveland Launcher HB Irons, 4 through PW. CBX2 Wedges, 54 & 60 degree.
  • :seemore:  Seemore Si1 putter.

Let me say up front that I am not complaining....I play with 2 guys every week for fun, no money or wagers involved.  I am not setting myself up as perfect, but I generally play by the rules.  I do not take mulligans and try to play every ball into the cup.  The only time I get a "gimme" is if I hit it close and one of my playing partners picks my ball up and we move to the next hole.  i only hit one ball off each tee, and I take my medicine, but my playing partners may hit 2 or 3, especially off the first tee.  From the fairway, I take my medicine and play it like it is and live with the results.  They may take a couple of shots at the green if their shot is not a good one.  

Last week, when we got back to the trucks and the scores were shared, I had a 92, #1 had a score of 84 and #2 had a score of 85.

My conclusion is, I play my game and let them play their game.  I know what I shoot but they really never know what they shoot or what their true score is.  Playing again Friday morning....Goal is to break 90...

I came up playing casual golf at public courses and agree with the sentiment that most "golfers" don't know/care/play by the rules. Not even close.

I was taught the rules by my dad and grandfather, who played in the 1935 US Open. He was the KC, Kansas champ as well. Knew his golf. Fast forward...

I started playing with a great group of regulars every Saturday and Sunday that took it serious and played by the rules. You never touch the ball until it is on the green. I think that is the easiest way to explain it to these types of casual golfers. Is it in a divot on the fairway? Oh, that is bad luck, sorry. Did your ball roll back into its landing spot in the bunker creating the "fried egg" condition? Well, no better time to learn that shot than now. Did you ball land in a "hole" in the rough? Try to hit it it out or take a stroke for unplayable lie. Did your approach shot leave a ball mark on the fringe and is on line with your putt? Too bad you can't fix the ball mark before you putt. Maybe you should consider chipping over the mark?

Culture shock: Moved out of state and am playing at a new club. Cheaters everywhere. Everyone fiddles with their ball anywhere. The slick ones are the guys who always pick up their ball  in the rough to "see if it is theirs" and then gently place it back close to where it was sitting as high up as they can. Oh well

It all boils down to the understanding players have with each other that determines if someone is a "cheater".

Over the years, I've played with serious players that try their level best to follow the rules and guys out there just belting the ball around and everything in between. 

Guys out there once or twice a month are out there to have a good time. You shouldn't expect them to not improve their lie, take funny drops or give themselves every putt inside of three feet. For the casual guys I play with, it's a given. There's never any money on the line, so those guys are not cheaters. They are also not really golfers either and there's nothing wrong with that. The sport needs those guys paying for rounds. 

You only get real cheaters when they are pretending to be playing a legitimate game and there is something at stake besides whatever little bit of satisfaction they get out of there less-than-legal score. 

Edited by mcanadiens
  • Upvote 1

• iacas changed the title to Good Friend Is a Golf Cheater
Note: This thread is 1423 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!