IGNORED

Adam Scott: Do you actually think? *Poll*

Crim
Note: This thread is 3860 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should Adam Scott have an asterisk on his victories for using the belly putter?

• YES
    • NO

So, what are you going to say if he just keeps using the same putter without anchoring it?  Still a clown?  Gotta love the bravery some people show behind the obscurity of the internet.

Scott has hinted that keeping the broomstick is what he might do. Keep it but not anchor, as stated above.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

this argument has already been settled. Many choose to use a longer putter, whether it be a belly, tank, long. I use a 41 inch, but have never anchored it. I like it because it seems easier on my back, I can get a better visual of down the line, and its heavier. I can use a claw grip, normal grip, split grip, or even side saddle with no ill effects.  There is no "normal". If it's legal, it's regal.

and "Long ain't Wrong".

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Anchoring was legal at the time, so his wins should be treated just like anyone else's wins.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I remember someone saying that his putting was even worse with a short putter.

This is the part where I point out that Adam Scott led the PGA Tour in strokes gained - putting in 2004 while using a short putter. The three runners up were Tiger Woods, Steve Stricker, and Brad Faxon. http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02564.html#2004

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

This is the part where I point out that Adam Scott led the PGA Tour in strokes gained - putting in 2004 while using a short putter. The three runners up were Tiger Woods, Steve Stricker, and Brad Faxon.

http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02564.html#2004

Weird. If you can out putt Brad Faxon why change the recipe? Just watching his recent Golf Channel spots has made me a better putter. No doubt golfers are stubborn when it comes to equipment but every time I see Adam miss a bunch of 2 foot putts I scratch my head. He's never out of it because he isn't striking the ball well.

Dave :-)

Weird. If you can out putt Brad Faxon why change the recipe? Just watching his recent Golf Channel spots has made me a better putter. No doubt golfers are stubborn when it comes to equipment but every time I see Adam miss a bunch of 2 foot putts I scratch my head. He's never out of it because he isn't striking the ball well.

To be fair, he was in the mid-100s in the same stat few years later. My point was that there was a time when he was a very good putter with the shorter one.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by Dave2512

My guess is Adam won't lose a step regardless. Even the pros that struggle with a putter are still proficient.

I think he'll keep the long putter but just won't anchor it to his body

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by mvmac

I think he'll keep the long putter but just won't anchor it to his body

I tend to agree with this - although I am biased because I plan on doing the same thing.

Adam Scott has said that is what he will do, but 3 years is a long time to know what you will be doing in the future.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Originally Posted by jamo

To be fair, he was in the mid-100s in the same stat few years later. My point was that there was a time when he was a very good putter with the shorter one.

Seems like I've read similar things about all the long putter guys. Seems more like a choice than a crutch. Akin to preferring a hybrid to a long iron. Whatever works and instills confidence.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Cause some years you get hot with the putter, then you loose it. Anybody who knows, when you loose the putter, you try anything to get it back. Look at Sam Snead, suffered greatly with his putter, and started to putt sideways i believe.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

So, what are you going to say if he just keeps using the same putter without anchoring it?  Still a clown?  Gotta love the bravery some people show behind the obscurity of the internet.

I don't like him... plain and simple.  Just something about him rubs me the wrong way and I have absolutely NO respect for his caddie or the way he handles himself.  And Scott himself DID say he was AWFUL at putting before he switched to the anchored long putter which looks hideous but that's beside the point.  I am entitled to my opinion, and I am entitled to be a fan of who I want to be, I think he'll fade back into obscurity when he has to find some other method of putting.  He's not even THAT good right now.  Sure he has his rounds but do does everyone.  Phil Mickelsons final rnd @ The Open for example... is an exception and FAR from the rule when it comes to Phil's skill with the flat stick... Phil is my favorite player but I can't recall anyone else on tour who lips out so many super short putts.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Originally Posted by Chris223

I don't like him... plain and simple.  Just something about him rubs me the wrong way and I have absolutely NO respect for his caddie or the way he handles himself.  And Scott himself DID say he was AWFUL at putting before he switched to the anchored long putter which looks hideous but that's beside the point.  I am entitled to my opinion, and I am entitled to be a fan of who I want to be, I think he'll fade back into obscurity when he has to find some other method of putting.  He's not even THAT good right now.  Sure he has his rounds but do does everyone.  Phil Mickelsons final rnd @ The Open for example... is an exception and FAR from the rule when it comes to Phil's skill with the flat stick... Phil is my favorite player but I can't recall anyone else on tour who lips out so many super short putts.

Actually your never entitled to your opinion, saying your entitled to anything sounds like your a selfish child who demands his turn to speak. As any person you claim your right to speak, your not entitled to speak. And, no ones saying you can't post, no one saying you can't be controversial, just don't come in and say your entitled to anything because someone then refutes, or disagrees with your statement. If your going to voice your opinion, deal with the results. There's a difference between someone agree or disagreeing with you, than someone saying you can't post something. If you think just because they disagree that means they are threatening your right to post, is absurd.

What does it matter about phil, that doesn't even make sense? Yes Phil lips out putts, but that is because he doesn't understand that the size of the hole diminishes the harder you hit a putt. If ever learned to get the ball to the hole, not 3 feet past the hole, he would have made more putts

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

You're wrong. Sure he has his rounds? Have you been hiding under a rock this entire year? He's had strong finishes in almost every tournament he's played not to mention winning a few??

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Originally Posted by Chris223

You don't have to like him. But I'll giuarantee you can't find a single example of him doing anything that would make a "reasonable person" dislike him. And, "his caddie" is Steve Williams, a separate entity.

Of course Scott was a worse putter before he changed to the broomstick. That's why he changed. You behave as if you have made some amazing revelation because he was honest about it. Clearly no secret.

And the problem wit players like Scott and their putting is they look worse because their iron play is so good they seem to miss lots of shortish birdie chances.

How can he fade "back" into obscurity? When was he "obscure"? At 11 years of age?

His swing is universally acclaimed as one of the top 2 or three in the world.

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by saevel25

Cause some years you get hot with the putter, then you loose it. Anybody who knows, when you loose the putter, you try anything to get it back. Look at Sam Snead, suffered greatly with his putter, and started to putt sideways i believe.

Oh FFS ------- it's LOSE. Did you not go to school?

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I think saevel gets away with the constant-And I do mean constant-spelling mistakes that make him look like he has a second-grade education at best because he has been here for a long time. The same way people overlook how often you are far ruder than you need to be. Maybe someday saevel will realize how stupid his "typos"-And calling them typos is generous as they're not typographical mistakes-make him look even to the longtime members who remember that he is capable of putting decent a series of thoughts together. And maybe some day you will learn that you can be critical and point out truths without being so gruff. Unlike saevel though I think you enjoy it so I dont hold out any hope for that though.[quote name="Shorty" url="/t/69633/adam-scott-do-you-actually-think-poll/36#post_890752"]Oh FFS ------- it's LOSE. Did you not go to school? [/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

I don't like him... plain and simple.  Just something about him rubs me the wrong way and I have absolutely NO respect for his caddie or the way he handles himself.  And Scott himself DID say he was AWFUL at putting before he switched to the anchored long putter which looks hideous but that's beside the point.  I am entitled to my opinion, and I am entitled to be a fan of who I want to be, I think he'll fade back into obscurity when he has to find some other method of putting.  He's not even THAT good right now.

Exactly. He's not that good at putting right now. How much worse could he get? He was 143rd in strokes gained - putting two years ago, 148th last year, and is 88th this year. Not particularly great. Also, the dip in Scott's career a few years ago was only notable because of how good he was before and how good he's been since: [IMG ALT=""]http://thesandtrap.com/b/imgs/numbers_game/owgr_graphs_july_2013_scott_ranking.jpg[/IMG] [quote name="Chris223" url="/t/69633/adam-scott-do-you-actually-think-poll/36#post_890734"]Phil is my favorite player but I can't recall anyone else on tour who lips out so many super short putts. [/quote] Because of poor capture speed, not because of some cosmic hex.

In my bag:

Originally Posted by Phil McGleno

I think saevel gets away with the constant-And I do mean constant-spelling mistakes that make him look like he has a second-grade education at best because he has been here for a long time. The same way people overlook how often you are far ruder than you need to be.

Maybe someday saevel will realize how stupid his "typos"-And calling them typos is generous as they're not typographical mistakes-make him look even to the longtime members who remember that he is capable of putting decent a series of thoughts together. And maybe some day you will learn that you can be critical and point out truths without being so gruff. Unlike saevel though I think you enjoy it so I dont hold out any hope for that though.

I some how feel insulted, yet thanks for baking me up, I think.

Yea, I tend not to pay attention to my spelling when i type. I've gotten to use relying on spell check. Spell check does not know the usage of words, so i get in trouble with words like "lose and loose". I will try harder.

Yet, i still don't get how people can get so upset over it. I mean, it is basically a waste of energy to do so. Who makes it there duty in life to be a grammar Nazi?

Originally Posted by Shorty

Oh FFS ------- it's LOSE. Did you not go to school?

Yep, grade school + high school + college, probably need to get a refund right? Next time you catch me with a bad grammatical error, just put down, "English, can't you write it mother-f!@#$%$"

Oh FFS ------ Get over yourself.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 3860 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!