• Announcements

    • iacas

      Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

      Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Crim

Adam Scott: Do you actually think? *Poll*

0  

  1. 1. Should Adam Scott have an asterisk on his victories for using the belly putter?

    • YES
      6
    • NO
      56

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

78 posts in this topic

I've heard this mentioned many many times, "Adam's victories should have an asterisk behind them when his putter style gets banned."

Do people actually believe and want this? I'm pretty new to golf so I don't know what's changed over the years but I'm sure there's been some rules that have changed. Should we just put an asterisk behind everyone else's name that played under different rules?

As of right now, the belly putter is legal. That's as far as it goes with me. I am not a fan of it, I dislike watching him putt...but some people actually hate the man for using it and saying he should have an asterisk behind his wins seems a little excessive.

What say you? This isn't a do you like it or hate it poll. This is a "Do you think Adam Scott should have an asterisk by his victories" poll.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

I'll vote "no", even though I'm about as big a detractor of the long-putter as you will find.  It's currently within the rules, and other than his putter being by far the ugliest POS in the history of the game, there is really no valid reason to single him out vs guys like Keegan Bradley and Ernie Els.

I'll point out for full disclosure that whenever an Adam Scott putt comes on the tv coverage, I fast-forward through the broadcast or change the channel.  That is how much I can't stand watching him putt.  And, still, "no" on the asterisk.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FFS

This is "mentioned" by morons who know nothing about the game.

And the fact that you say some people "hate" him for it says a damn sight more about them than him.

He is universally liked and there is no dirt on him at all.

What about other long putter users?

What a ridiculous poll.

The answer is no.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Shorty

What about other long putter users?

Like I said, fairly new to golf. The only flack I've seen lately has been steered directly in Adam's direction. Haters just hating I guess.

But yeah I suppose I could have made an all long putter asterisk poll. I'll be curious to see how much of a detriment to their game it will be after they are banned.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a long putter was an advantage then it would be an advantage for EVERYONE. PED's are an advantage because anyone who takes them is gaining an advantage on those that are not. If you take PED's, they will work, everytime for everyone. A long putter works for some, and doesn't work for others, so it is not an advantage in any way in my eyes because if it were then when the best putters on tour using a short putter picked one up, they would show even greater proficiency. I have never played with anyone who used a long putter. If they were an advantage then everyone would use them and we would have a long putter epidemic.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Crim

Like I said, fairly new to golf. The only flack I've seen lately has been steered directly in Adam's direction. Haters just hating I guess.

Kinda surprised at that, rarely hear anything negative about Adam Scott.  I say no, it's within the rules until 2016 to play with an anchored putter.  Anchored putters have won numerous tournaments and been around a while, so it's not just Scott.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree if the long/anchored putter was such a advantage everybody on tour would use them. I don't buy these guys saying its not tradition blah blah blah. Fact is the pros want to win and make the cash and most if not all would use anything they could  if it would make THEM better.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is the thread targeting Scott and not players having used long putters in general? Either way, they are playing according to the rules, it would be silly to have an asterix. Should they do the same to players having won with the old grooves?
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Crim

I've heard this mentioned many many times, "Adam's victories should have an asterisk behind them when his putter style gets banned."

I guess I should get out more because I've never heard anyone say that. Or maybe I just don't hang around with stupid people.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Zeph

Either way, they are playing according to the rules, it would be silly to have an asterix. Should they do the same to players having won with the old grooves?

The old grooves would require a ton of asterisks. Heck, they may run out of them!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should we put and asterisk next to Hogan's wins because the greens were slower?

Should we put and asterisk next to Bobby Jones because the stymie was allowed?

Adam Scott (and all the other long putters) are playing the game in accordance with the rules, anyone making the asterisk argument is just being a tool.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I'll vote "no", even though I'm about as big a detractor of the long-putter as you will find.  It's currently within the rules, and other than his putter being by far the ugliest POS in the history of the game, there is really no valid reason to single him out vs guys like Keegan Bradley and Ernie Els.

I'll point out for full disclosure that whenever an Adam Scott putt comes on the tv coverage, I fast-forward through the broadcast or change the channel.  That is how much I can't stand watching him putt.  And, still, "no" on the asterisk.

Agree with all of that, but still, no asterisk. If ugly were illegal we'd have to build a lot more prisons. Besides it's not the putter getting banned it is the stroke, now if Scott were to be caught making an anchored stroke post-ban then he wouldn't have an asterisk because he would be DQ'd. But I don't think that's gonna happen because I'm not a hater.

People are way too passionate about this issue. If the R&A; decided to roll back the CC limit on driver's to 400cc would everyone start screaming for asterisks? Maybe a better example would be hybrids? No more hybrids for Tour Pros and suddenly KJ Choi is a pariah? Ridiculous.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good grief, of course not.  And by the way, long putters are not being banned.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Should we put and asterisk next to Hogan's wins because the greens were slower?

Should we put and asterisk next to Bobby Jones because the stymie was allowed?

Adam Scott (and all the other long putters) are playing the game in accordance with the rules, anyone making the asterisk argument is just being a tool.

Agree with all of that, but still, no asterisk. If ugly were illegal we'd have to build a lot more prisons. Besides it's not the putter getting banned it is the stroke, now if Scott were to be caught making an anchored stroke post-ban then he wouldn't have an asterisk because he would be DQ'd. But I don't think that's gonna happen because I'm not a hater.

People are way too passionate about this issue. If the R&A; decided to roll back the CC limit on driver's to 400cc would everyone start screaming for asterisks? Maybe a better example would be hybrids? No more hybrids for Tour Pros and suddenly KJ Choi is a pariah? Ridiculous.

I agree, a player can't be found at fault with a rule change if he won before the rule change. He played UNDER THE RULE OF GOLF when winning his tournaments. We can not fault him for that, its not the same as someone taking steroids.

Actually i think Scott would be assessed a penalty stroke, not sure if DQ'd is the penalty for the anchor ruling ban. There's very few cases where a person gets DQ'd. They don't even DQ you for trying to improve your lie, or having to many clubs. Now if they found him anchoring and he signs for the wrong score, he's out.

True they are not banning long putters they are banning ANCHORING of a putter.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Shorty

FFS

This is "mentioned" by morons who know nothing about the game.

And the fact that you say some people "hate" him for it says a damn sight more about them than him.

He is universally liked and there is no dirt on him at all.

What about other long putter users?

What a ridiculous poll.

The answer is no.

I don't agree that poll is ridiculous.  The OP obviously doesn't think there should be an asterisk and just wants to know how the rest of TST members feel.  I think he framed the question correctly and his post was honest and not inflammatory.  There are morons who will say they hate Scott or Tiger, etc., but there will always be morons.  Kind of like that line in Men in Black 3 .  "Where there is death are morons, there will always be death morons."

I don't like the long putter, but Adam Scott should never have an asterisk next to his name because he is playing within the rules.  I would put money up that he and other anchored players will make the transition to non-anchored without much of a hitch.  They are just that talented.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No, there shouldn't be an asterisk, and I am one of those who is death on anchored putting.  Rules are rules, and if they are being followed, then the discussion ends there.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by boogielicious

I don't agree that poll is ridiculous.

I don't like the long putter, but Adam Scott should never have an asterisk next to his name because he is playing within the rules.  I would put money up that he and other anchored players will make the transition to non-anchored without much of a hitch.  They are just that talented.

While I haven't heard of any discussion regarding an asterisk next to Adam's name championships won while using a legal putter , some people are always willing to create a controversy where none may exist. It makes their day to rile people up. They are called "trolls" on the internet.

I don't find fault with the OP ...

I don't agree that Adam and others who converted to the long putter will not have a problem returning to a traditional putter. I think they may use a long putter but not anchor it, they may go "Kuchar" on us, or use a heavy, longer length high MOI putter that is not anchored - 36-38 inches, etc., similar to the Tank.

As to those who began on the anchored putter and have not used a traditional putter in play, who knows? Some will have no issues, others will ...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There have been several changes to what is legal in regards to equipment in golf. Non of the other changes constituted an asterisk next to the name of those using that equipment so I've no idea why anyone would expect it for this most recent change.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2017 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • For those who don't show clubs in your sig line. I currently carry: 1-3-5 "woods" 2-SW (mid 90's loft angles, unlike stronger modern lofts) Putter I probably don't need the 5W, and I'd like to try a hybrid or two. Some day...  
    • Ok thanks. I feel like I am stuck right between reg and stiff. Hard to tell though as the last time I hit stiff flex in my irons my ball striking wasn't as good or as consistent. I play stiff flex in my driver, 3 wood and hybrids but that's mainly for consistency. I've always had a high ball flight since I started playing golf but lately it's become ridiculously high. Do you guys think moving over to stiff flex would help with lowering the ball flight.
    • http://www.gamegolf.com/player/roamin/round/1607006
      http://www.gamegolf.com/player/roamin/round/1607912
      http://www.gamegolf.com/player/roamin/round/1612444
      http://www.gamegolf.com/player/roamin/round/1613273 Beautiful (and hot!) Florida sunshine, four rounds of golf, and $20 buck on skins. Great weekend! Highlights were, first and foremost, the 39 on the front nine this morning (a personal best), and the amazing par, birdie, par finish to the day.
    • Four rounds this weekend, two on Saturday and two on Monday. Shot 89, 90, 84, 91. Today was skins day and luckily, my highlight round came this morning. The front nine was just awesome, shot 39 with six pars and three bogeys. Then got stupid on the 10th after the first bad drive of the day and hit a tree, twice (well, different trees ), and made triple. Three more pars and nothing worse than a single after that, to finish with an 84. Fifty cent skins, plus extra skins for birdies, and low score on front, back, and overall for each round. I was up by 20 skins on the 18th in the second round when we went double or nothing.   I hit my longest drive of the day, at 274 yards, with a perfect angle left to the par 5 green. Then hit a perfect 3W and ended up 6 feet off the front-left edge of the green. Thinned the pitch-shot a little and it rolled about ~15 feet passed the hole...two-putt for par. My buddy had hit a tree with his 3W (bad angle off the tee), and finished with a double. $20 bucks! Cha-ching! What a great weekend! 
    • Austin had a great swing but other than the "macro" moves I don't see many similarities to DJ. - Austin had a slightly weak or neutral grip, DJ uses a strong one
      - Austin raised his left heel on the backswing 
      - DJ has a much more flexed lead wrist on the backswing and downswing
      - Austin goes into right pelvic tilt and with more axis tilt on the downswing where DJ maintains left pelvic tilt longer
      - DJ is more rotational while Austin had more "leg drive".
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. kuyarey
      kuyarey
      (36 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon