IGNORED

My Swing (RFKFREAK)

RFKFREAK

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

The stance is too wide, and the trail knee extends prematurely in the backswing. Both of those make it difficult for you to get forward properly - look at your finish position and you'll see your weight is still back.

1.thumb.jpg.faec3c8c49b3ff185323cb0b54b72.thumb.jpg.0f8d5bc4dcda7a4300a4be40a5fe

Thanks for looking at my swing and commenting.

Are those two issues impacting my push with the driver and overdraw with my other woods?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
53 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

Thanks for looking at my swing and commenting.

Are those two issues impacting my push with the driver and overdraw with my other woods?

Yes, but they have more to do with contact. If you're above a 10, contact is still a big, big issue in my experience. Hit the ball solidly and then worry about where it's going (so long as it's not WAY the heck sideways).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Yes, but they have more to do with contact. If you're above a 10, contact is still a big, big issue in my experience. Hit the ball solidly and then worry about where it's going (so long as it's not WAY the heck sideways).

Ok, I'll work on this and report back.

I'm guessing by learning to hit the ball solidly, I'll be more consistent with my distance rather than increase it.

Christian

Based on @iacas's posts about cameras, earlier this week I purchased a used Casio Exilim FH-100 for $125 and decided to try it out today even though it was a bit windy.  The practice session didn't last very long as on my 5th swing this happened...

No one lives at that house out there but good things probably wouldn't have happened had I hit it so it was my last swing of the day.  

Anyway, I like the camera and hope to use it more in the future. 

Christian

You are clearly hitting the ball too fecking hard mate! :)

Nice looking swing...to my untrained eye it looks like all the right parts are moving at the right time? Could be completely wrong but lots of people would kill for a swing looking like that!

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

4 minutes ago, mailman said:

You are clearly hitting the ball too fecking hard mate! :)

Nice looking swing...to my untrained eye it looks like all the right parts are moving at the right time? Could be completely wrong but lots of people would kill for a swing looking like that!

Regards

Mailman

Haha, no one should want my horrible looking swing - that's why I'm looking to improve it. :-)

I specifically don't like the lack of axis tilt at the end of the swing as I'm standing almost straight up.

Christian

5 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

Anyway, I like the camera and hope to use it more in the future. 

Camera looks like it takes some good video, but ideally you want to center it on your toe line.

And holy crap, how far away from your net do you stand?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3 minutes ago, billchao said:

Camera looks like it takes some good video, but you really want to center it on your toe line.

Oh, right!  For some reason I've always had it in my head to put it on the ball line rather than the toe line. 

3 minutes ago, billchao said:

And holy crap, how far away from your net do you stand?

Usually not too far away because I don't have as much room in my backyard as here at my gf's parents place. 

Christian

You should probably use those "almost a golf ball" in your yard.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• 4 weeks later...

I was finally able to use my net as it's been raining recently and I've been under the weather.

I'm trying to get a flat left wrist so as to lay the shaft down and have my shaft pointing in front of the ball at A5.  These videos were taken towards the end of my practice session and I tried a bunch of different things to get it to happen but failed a whole lot.  These swings are around half-speed and in trying to flatten my wrist, I seems I'm destroying all the work I've done on Keys #1 & #2 and appear to be flipping the club at impact.  *sigh*

Any thoughts or drills on how to achieve the flat left wrist without compromising Keys #1 & #2 would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

Christian

I have a suggestion for you that may or may not work.. Since path is instinctual you may want to stop trying to manipulate your self in a specifics position.. 

Put an alignment stick pointing 45* to the right of your target line,  then just take a few swings back and fourth (easy 1/8th swings almost like chip shots) without a ball and then take a quarter swing trying to swing your club along the path of the alignment stick.. Do that a few times to start getting your body used to the feeling of swinging out.. Tape your self and see what does it look like, and then let us know what the ball was doing?  

The ball should be starting out to the right, and drawing back.. If it is not don't worry about it, just close your face a little and see if it helps..  I did this with my instructor but he had a trackman and was reading to me my path so he was always giving me immediate feed back, you'll have to depend on your camera and ball flight..

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

11 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

I was finally able to use my net as it's been raining recently and I've been under the weather.

I'm trying to get a flat left wrist so as to lay the shaft down and have my shaft pointing in front of the ball at A5.  These videos were taken towards the end of my practice session and I tried a bunch of different things to get it to happen but failed a whole lot.  These swings are around half-speed and in trying to flatten my wrist, I seems I'm destroying all the work I've done on Keys #1 & #2 and appear to be flipping the club at impact.  *sigh*

Any thoughts or drills on how to achieve the flat left wrist without compromising Keys #1 & #2 would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

I'm not sure if that link above sends you to the one I'm thinking of, but it's the November 6, 2012 drill on Flat Left Wrist.

The two drills above it are for Keys 1& 2, so they're good too.

The reason the flat wrist drill came to mind was that I remembered that finish in that drill, and I think it helps me sometimes to exaggerate that. When you can do that abbreviated finish and not let the club overtake your hands, it seems to feel more natural when you speed up.

Again, you know I'm not an instructor, and I struggle with the same things you do, but I have found these videos "grounding." Always a good reminder to get back to them to reinforce.

Other than that, your swing is looking good. Has anyone commented on your head turning from A2 to A5? It is steady, except it rotates more than I think I see others do. Is your neck not flexible enough to keep it looking mostly downward? I'm not sure it's a problem, but it jumped out at me so thought I'd mention it. Could be nothing.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

4 hours ago, Abu3baid said:

I have a suggestion for you that may or may not work.. Since path is instinctual you may want to stop trying to manipulate your self in a specifics position.. 

Put an alignment stick pointing 45* to the right of your target line,  then just take a few swings back and fourth (easy 1/8th swings almost like chip shots) without a ball and then take a quarter swing trying to swing your club along the path of the alignment stick.. Do that a few times to start getting your body used to the feeling of swinging out.. Tape your self and see what does it look like, and then let us know what the ball was doing?  

The ball should be starting out to the right, and drawing back.. If it is not don't worry about it, just close your face a little and see if it helps..  I did this with my instructor but he had a trackman and was reading to me my path so he was always giving me immediate feed back, you'll have to depend on your camera and ball flight..

Well, hitting into my net I won't be able to see if the ball draws back but I suppose what this drill will do, at least initially, will be to change my path from A1-A4.  My backswing from A1-A4 is steep relative to what I want my backswing to look at from A4-A7.  I've tried flattening my swing from A1-A4 before but it gets me really discombobulated.  That said, the drill may be helpful if I start myself from A4.  Thanks!

6 minutes ago, RandallT said:

I'm not sure if that link above sends you to the one I'm thinking of, but it's the November 6, 2012 drill on Flat Left Wrist.

The two drills above it are for Keys 1& 2, so they're good too.

The reason the flat wrist drill came to mind was that I remembered that finish in that drill, and I think it helps me sometimes to exaggerate that. When you can do that abbreviated finish and not let the club overtake your hands, it seems to feel more natural when you speed up.

Again, you know I'm not an instructor, and I struggle with the same things you do, but I have found these videos "grounding." Always a good reminder to get back to them to reinforce.

Other than that, your swing is looking good. Has anyone commented on your head turning from A2 to A5? It is steady, except it rotates more than I think I see others do. Is your neck not flexible enough to keep it looking mostly downward? I'm not sure it's a problem, but it jumped out at me so thought I'd mention it. Could be nothing.

Yeah, maybe I'm thinking of it wrong but the reasons I'm trying to get my wrist flat are two fold.  One, because I think it'll help me get my path on the correct plane from A4-A7 as, right now it's very steep, and two, to help with Key #3.  Do you think this drill can be extrapolated to help with both issues I'm trying to rectify or do you think it's a drill which primarily helps with flat left wrist at impact?  Thanks!

Christian

CC, just rolled through your swing thread from beginning to present. Your making really good progress over the short period of time since you began. It certainly helps having two great guys (Erik & Mike) along with the many others, actively helping with suggestions. From what I have seen, you are near a bench mark with your swing that will improve with the commitment and work to achieve changes for the better, in the very near future.

:beer:  to the New Year and enjoying golf.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

8 hours ago, Club Rat said:

CC, just rolled through your swing thread from beginning to present. Your making really good progress over the short period of time since you began. It certainly helps having two great guys (Erik & Mike) along with the many others, actively helping with suggestions. From what I have seen, you are near a bench mark with your swing that will improve with the commitment and work to achieve changes for the better, in the very near future.

:beer:  to the New Year and enjoying golf.

Thanks, @Club Rat!

I wish I were further along in my game than I am but I haven't put in the amount of work which would require it so, here I am, wishing I were better but knowing the reason I'm not, haha.  No doubt, though, the progress I've made is due in large part to Erik, Mike, and everyone else who has shared their thoughts in this thread. :-):-)

Christian

Bro, I don't see you far off from making good progress. I think you do many things very nicely, and that you're missing some pieces that are as a result wreaking havoc on your game. Keep at it, use the winter to do indoor work with slow mo swings.

Colin P.

19 hours ago, colin007 said:

Bro, I don't see you far off from making good progress. I think you do many things very nicely, and that you're missing some pieces that are as a result wreaking havoc on your game. Keep at it, use the winter to do indoor work with slow mo swings.

Thanks, my man!

Yeah, we should def take some trips to simulator. :-$

Christian

Your swing looks great! Way better than mine! You've got the centered turn I'm only beginning to work on.

Only thing that really pops out is what @RandallT also mentioned: that your head seems to be turning a bunch at the very top of the backswing. I have that happen sometimes in drills when I'm more focused on a takeaway thought instead of impact, but try to stay looking at the ball as much as you can. 

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball