IGNORED

The Films and Movies Thread

iacas

I have been listening to the Unspooled podcast which is methodically going through the AFI top 100 list. Recently rewatched back to back, The Post, birdie,  and then All the President's Men, eagle, (for the umpteenth time, I love this movie) because it covered the latter movie. While I respect the opinions of the podcast, it has had its criticisms of movies that I love, like Saving Private Ryan for one, but I learned a lot from the hosts, and that held for ATPM, like I did not know as much about Muskie as I should have. I tossed aside The Post as awards fare, but on rewatching it, I enjoyed it more, especially being able to put ATPM on right afterwards, a great double bill. The latest Unspooled is on Vertigo, eagle. May rewatch that as Vertigo is another of my all time faves.

earwolf-social-b.png

Paul & Amy fall into Alfred Hitchcock's 1958 psychological thriller Vertigo!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I saw John Wick 3 last Friday. It gets a long range birdie for me.

I thought the pacing suffered due to drawn out fight scenes. The fight scenes just didn't have the snappy quick pace feel they did in the first two movies. The plot was good, about what I expected. My favorite part is the world building the continued to add to the movie.

If I had to rank the three John Wick movies, it would be John Wick 2 (A+), John Wick 1 (A), John Wick 3 (B+).

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 5/1/2019 at 10:44 AM, commishbob said:

LOL....I'm 66. I don't think I have that much time. 😔

It's a superhero movie. All you need to know is a bad guy killed millions of people and some superheroes in the last movie. The remaining heroes look for a way to go back in time and reverse this.  You can now watch and enjoy the movie. You certainly won't get everything but you'll know enough to enjoy it. 

I thought it was meh, OK.  I also prefer single superheroes to the ensemble casts, and like the characters that are a little more grounded to earth like Batman, Daredevil, Spiderman.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched Starship Troopers last night. Awesome movie. It's a hilarious sci-fi romp that's also a satire. In its last days free on Amazon Prime. I'm doing my part. Do you want to know more?

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

4 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

I watched Starship Troopers last night. Awesome movie. It's a hilarious sci-fi romp that's also a satire. In its last days free on Amazon Prime. I'm doing my part. Do you want to know more?

Love that movie. It is one of those corny Sci-fis that is great if you don' take it seriously. Special effects were great too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I forgot about this thread.  What have I seen in 2019?

Alita: Battle Angel - four strokes to hole out from tee, but I don't know if this is a par-4 or a par-5.   Remember back in the day par-4.5 was a thing?  It's that.  I really enjoyed it.  Better than par, not as good as birdie.  

Captain Marvel - birdie on a par-5, the kind where the shots gained were from all four aspects of the game combined.  A better-than-average drive, a better-than-average second shot but not on the green, a better-than-average pitch from there to about 10 feet and made the putt.  If I had ESC with me, I might even map out exactly the yardages.  Anyway, first MCU movie I've enjoyed since the first Guardians of the Galaxy.  Don't go back in time and tell 12-year-old-me this, but I'm kind of sick of comic book movies and have been for a while.  I saw this one anyway and liked it.

John Wick 3 - par, as expected, looking forward to the next one. 

Not in the cinemas, but my friends and I watched all eight Fast and the Furious movies in order (over the course of eight weeks, not in a marathon).  First four average a par, second four average a birdie.  Really looking forward to Hobbs and Shaw this summer. 

And on Netflix: The Wandering Earth.  I give it a par, and the visual effects (especially the scenes in proximity to Jupiter) are amazing. 

8 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

Great choice, but I do want to know more:  did you give it an eagle or an albatross?  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Starship Troopers..... I give it a birdie only because it doesn't follow the book, but then it might be better than the book. The movie has a lot of action, nudity, and the right amount of corn on the cob. Tonight... Escape from LA.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• 2 weeks later...

Finally watched Avenger: End Game.  It was re-released this past weekend with some deleted scenes added.

Since I didn't watch it when it first came out, I have no idea which scenes were added.

I gave it a par, just missing the birdie putt.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bohemian Rhapsody - As a lifelong Queen fan I was excited to see this, but for reasons I still don't understand I was happy when it was over.  Rami Malek did a truly amazing job portraying Freddie Mercury, by the end of the movie I had forgotten he wasn't Freddie Mercury and the music throughout the film was excellent.  The story was fine - biographical of both he and the band, and to me and my recollection of the times it seemed pretty dead-on accurate despite some criticism along those lines that the film received.  I don't know what I expected, but I think I just got bored.  Give it a par.

• Administrator

Yesterday - Birdie. If you're a Beatles fan it's an easy birdie, but the movie was better than I thought it was going to be.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Arctic - Movie about survival. I give it a birdie. It was well acted and a really good story.

I am Mother - Par. Dystopian movie about the future of mankind. The acting was good by the story was a bit weird.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

HBO got Bohemian Rhapsody so I finally had a chance to see it. I give it a par. I don't know why - obviously the music was pretty good throughout, but the storytelling was a bit lackluster. I know it was just the story of Freddie, mostly, but… I don't know. Par is a good score, mind you, but I'm glad I didn't pay to see it in a theater. I'm not that big of a Queen fan, and it wasn't particularly funny or anything to provide value in other ways like Yesterday was.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Toy Story 4 - birdie. Great family movie, enjoyable for both kids and adults.

On 7/9/2019 at 8:16 AM, Eric C said:

The story was fine - biographical of both he and the band, and to me and my recollection of the times it seemed pretty dead-on accurate despite some criticism along those lines that the film received.

The story is inaccurate. The timeline, among other things, is off. But it's a biopic, not a documentary. Some people don't seem to know how to enjoy something for what it is, rather than what they think it should be.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Toy Story 4 - birdie. Great family movie, enjoyable for both kids and adults.

Really looking forward to seeing this. Next rainy day weekend day.

Scott

My Swing Thread

23 hours ago, billchao said:

The story is inaccurate. The timeline, among other things, is off. But it's a biopic, not a documentary. Some people don't seem to know how to enjoy something for what it is, rather than what they think it should be.

I must be confused by your post.  Are you trying to tell me why I should or shouldn't enjoy something?

1 hour ago, Eric C said:

I must be confused by your post.  Are you trying to tell me why I should or shouldn't enjoy something?

No, I'm talking about people on the internet complaining that it (or any biopic) isn't 100% factually accurate.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 3 weeks later...

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Double bogey. Awful,  really boring. For the cast involved this should not have been so bad

:cobra: UL stand Bag
:ping: G425 Max
 :ping: hybrid G15 20 * 
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

:vokey:54*
:tmade: High Toe 58*

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport

:clicgear:

On 7/9/2019 at 7:25 PM, iacas said:

Yesterday - Birdie. If you're a Beatles fan it's an easy birdie, but the movie was better than I thought it was going to be.

That scene in the trailer. Where he plays Something during the talk show. That didn’t make it into the movie, right? Don’t remember seeing it. 

The Farewell - eagle, captures a lot of experiences I’m familiar with, right on the money. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.