smellysell

Winter Depression Thread

3,321 posts / 165275 viewsLast Reply

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

It is starting to be a bit more difficult to find a place to play as courses are closing for the season.  First accumulation of snow this morning but it is gone now.  I hope to play some time during the next 3 days but beyond that starts to get iffy.  Not a lot of forecasted days in the 40's.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

It is starting to be a bit more difficult to find a place to play as courses are closing for the season.  First accumulation of snow this morning but it is gone now.  I hope to play some time during the next 3 days but beyond that starts to get iffy.  Not a lot of forecasted days in the 40's.

IT is starting to look grim. Simulator league starts tonight.

The weather forecast is 3"-5" of snow starting around 4am and going thru 7pm Monday.   I officially declare autumn over since I started the snowblower just to be on the safe side.  

On 11/1/2019 at 2:17 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

Why did any of your ancestors ever move to a cold winter climate?!  Cheap land, homesteading?  Wolverine fans in 1879?  Apparently they didn't play golf.  They should have moved south and you could have been neighbors to Vinsk.

Think about it. The northern, cooler climes are better for the bent grasses, which are the best grasses for golf! Southern climes are more conducive to Bermuda grasses, which can be some nasty, snarly stuff to hit a ball from. A couple of my buddies went down to Florida over the Winter to unwind, and play some golf. At the first course they played, they ran into a starter from their hometown! 

When the starter found out that they were from his old stomping grounds, he asked if they had ever played on Bermuda grass before. When they said no, he told them they might try putting the ball a little further back in their stance. When they described their rounds to me, they said, "back in the stance, Hell!"! "How about BEHIND the stance!" 

24 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

The weather forecast is 3"-5" of snow starting around 4am and going thru 7pm Monday.   I officially declare autumn over since I started the snowblower just to be on the safe side.  

I agree! Winter seemed to come in with a vengeance! We've already had freeways closed because of snow and ice, but that may have more to do with the local road department than the weather itself! Seems they were asleep at the wheel! 

Still, the weather is here, and I do wish you were beautiful! 

I love the snow.  And I love golf.  I also like AWD cars...

17 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Southern climes are more conducive to Bermuda grasses, which can be some nasty, snarly stuff to hit a ball from.

I dis-like (hate) Bermuda grass.  I don't even know how to chip from it when the grain is against me.

Yeah, we're looking at about 3" of snow overnight. We do have some courses that remain open year round, weather permitting. Sometimes the weather permits, usually it does not. And it's not looking like an "El Nino" Winter!