IGNORED

Winter Depression Thread

smellysell

2 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Yes! We're so depressed that we're going to try the new Topgolf facility near Cleveland! 

Now that is the epitome of winter depression. A few beers will get you through it. Just don't slip off the second-story deck trying a Happy Gilmore swing.

Now we're even more depressed. Well, at least my buddy is! He's been on workman's comp with a shoulder issue, but was supposed to go back to work on the 27th. He went to the doctor on Wednesday for his final checkup, and we were supposed to go to Topgolf on Thursday. He called me Wednesday evening and told me the doctor couldn't authorize his return to work because he needs rotator cuff surgery! He said the doctor told him 6 to 8 months recovery time!

So, it looks like no golf this Summer for my friend! He's going to tell me when they schedule the surgery so I can take him out for some beers and Tex-Mex. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Now we're even more depressed. Well, at least my buddy is! He's been on workman's comp with a shoulder issue, but was supposed to go back to work on the 27th. He went to the doctor on Wednesday for his final checkup, and we were supposed to go to Topgolf on Thursday. He called me Wednesday evening and told me the doctor couldn't authorize his return to work because he needs rotator cuff surgery! He said the doctor told him 6 to 8 months recovery time!

So, it looks like no golf this Summer for my friend! He's going to tell me when they schedule the surgery so I can take him out for some beers and Tex-Mex. 

That sucks.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's an update. Turns out the doc didn't tell my buddy that he "had" to have rotator cuff surgery, but did suggest it. He turned down the surgery and is going back to work next week. So, I suppose I could title this post

OUR TOPGOLF EXPERIENCE!

So, we drove to the Cleveland area location this morning, on "half price" Tuesday! Pulling into the parking lot the facility is quite large! Larger than I had pictured. And the place was packed! As we cruised around the parking lot looking for a space, I kept looking through the windows and there were people on every level! We figured that on a workday morning, the place would be pretty open. Man, were we wrong! 

So, we walk in and up to the counter, and I introduce us as newbs, the counter person takes my cell phone number and immediately sends a text to verify. She informs us that there's a 15-20 minute wait for a bay, and they will text me when one was available. She also asked what level we wished to be on, and we all said lower level. Being on an upper level can fool you as to how far you are hitting it. 

We go cool our heels in the bar area. Damn, it was cold in there and the lobby! In about 15 minutes I got a text that bay 125 was available. I checked with the front desk, and she showed us where to go. We get to our bay, and there's a hostess there to greet us. She gets us signed up, there is a one time $5 "membership" fee, that gets you into any Topgolf facility in the world. She clued us in to how things work, and we started playing a game. 

What I liked about the facility and the game was that it demanded that you shoot at targets! Plus, it introduces the element of competition! I view both of those as good things. Some things I didn't like were that the golf balls seemed to be slightly lighter than regulations balls.And, you had to hit off a mat, but that would have been the norm even if the golf dome were still standing! 

Overall, I'd have to say the experience was positive. We needed a chance to blow the stink off, and that's what we got. The counter person, and our hostess at the bay were well trained, concise, never confused, and eased our way through the process! My buddy said it wasn't something he'd want to do all the time, but it was nice to get out and hit some balls. I feel the same way, but we don't have a lot of options at this time of year.So, as long as the weather is crappy, there's a chance we'll go back. 

2 hours ago, CNM said:

Snowing, it is unworkable to play

We had freezing rain last night. It warmed up enough to drive safely today, but all the trees still looked like Fairy Land Forest! We're supposed to get more "wintry mix" and snow tonight. 

Playing golf in -32F. I wanna see a European Tour version of this!

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Went and payed my membership for the 202 season.  $500.00 for the season, including cart......  12 miles from my house, Well maintained 9 hold course.  Now, just need to get this snow to melt.  Not going to do the -32 degree snow covered game...  LOL

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

I am off to play my last round for two weeks, I am off to Hamburg, Germany in the morning to visit the wifey.( Last chemo coming up, yahoo!!!) The temps there are around 50 degrees. So I will be freezing my butt off since it is 78 here in dreary old Florida. Cool thing is I will be there for the Hamburg SV -St Pauli game!!!!!!

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

Aw crap, I should have played today, 50F ish. Stupido.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

We're planning 9 holes for this Sunday when it's supposed to be in the 50's. It's coming, slowly but surely! We were supposed to get a bunch of rain overnight, but it pretty much missed us, and we got a sprinkle. The forecast calls for dry weather from now til Sunday, so that's hopeful. But, it's the weather forecasters making that call, and who can tell what they know? 

Plus, an additional hazard in NE Ohio in the winter is that, after a prolonged spell of cold weather, a layer of ice will develop a few inches underground, and it will stay frozen long after the surface thaws. It simply will NOT let the water drain down through the soil! Plus, we have a lot of clay soils around here, and they do much the same! 

12 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

We're planning 9 holes for this Sunday when it's supposed to be in the 50's.

Was snowing here today. Sending it your way !!!!!!!!!  Enjoy !!!!!!  :banana: 

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

12 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

We're planning 9 holes for this Sunday when it's supposed to be in the 50's

Weather guessers have us dead on 50 degrees Sunday and 47 Saturday. But Saturday is going to be sunny.

I get one day this week.

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

Weather guessers have us dead on 50 degrees Sunday and 47 Saturday. But Saturday is going to be sunny.

I get one day this week.

I'm hoping to play both days. In chicago for work now and its hard to believe that it will be playable on the weekend back in dayton. Fingers crossed for rounds 6 and 7 of the year. Maybe 8 if I'm really pushing it

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

10 hours ago, IowaGreg said:

Was snowing here today. Sending it your way !!!!!!!!!  Enjoy !!!!!!  :banana: 

Bastard! I've heard the forecast. Gonna be clear & cold tonight, cloud up tomorrow with a chance of flurries or snow showers. Most of it supposed to slide a little south of us. Still calling for 50 on Sunday. We will see.

• Thumbs Up 1