IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

Peach? We're not in Georgia! 😃

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Like 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Good thing Tiger was still able to get his Thursday round in today......🙄

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

On 9/6/2018 at 5:38 PM, nevets88 said:

I dunno how equipment endorsements work, if Woods is representing TaylorMade, I guess he still has the option to use whatever putter he wants, but his irons and woods have to have TaylorMade stamped on them?

Contracts will vary from player-to-player, but Tiger's deal with TaylorMade includes driver, fairway woods, irons and wedges.  No TaylorMade logos on his hat, clothing or bag.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/tiger-woods-signs-endorsement-deal-with-taylormade

• Informative 1

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

On 9/7/2018 at 7:29 AM, Valleygolfer said:

I'm fairly certain he is still using a tour B golf ball as well. I think they just have to predominantly have the endorsed clubs in the bag. Besides Tiger can hit any driver in wrong fairway so it doesn't matter what he's gaming.... 😁

Just like me!

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Does this mean that Woods did not technically have an exemption to the next US Open until now? I remember when he usually had a laundry list of them, it was a given he would be in a major.

Steve

12 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Does this mean that Woods did not technically have an exemption to the next US Open until now? I remember when he usually had a laundry list of them, it was a given he would be in a major.

His 10 year exemption as a past US Open winner ended this year. If I remember correctly, that was the reason he got to play at Shinnecock.

Assuming he stays healthy next year, he would in all likelihood meet the top 60 in the OWGR exemption to get into the US Open as well as this one.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

27 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Technically his last win was in 2008 so his 10 years "exemption" ended this year. His world ranking (assuming it stays the same or gets better) would lock him in, but now it doesn't matter he is "exempt" once again!

14 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

His 10 year exemption as a past US Open winner ended this year. If I remember correctly, that was the reason he got to play at Shinnecock.

Assuming he stays healthy next year, he would in all likelihood meet the top 60 in the OWGR exemption to get into the US Open as well as this one.

Crap @DeadMan beat me to it 

• Administrator

I think a high finish at the PGA may have exempted him. OWGR is unknown until June 2019.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think a high finish at the PGA may have exempted him. OWGR is unknown until June 2019.

Doesn't look to be one of the exemptions on the list: http://www.usopen.com/qualifying/exemptions.html

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Dunno which magazine this is, anonymous pro survey says, 90% believe Woods will win a major next year, 98% he will win something.

EaON8futnYfKtfMiPjTQc4qOpT7FL_A50ekgcles

Steve

https://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-actually-ahead-sam-snead-pga-tour-wins

I apologize if this has been covered. But I was under the impression that Tiger had surpassed Snead in total wins based on quite a few of Snead’s tournaments not really qualifying for what’s considered a ‘PGA Tour’ event. 

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 9/10/2018 at 4:47 PM, DeadMan said:

Doesn't look to be one of the exemptions on the list: http://www.usopen.com/qualifying/exemptions.html

Qualified for tour championship.  In. 

but, even before that, #15 Special exemptions as selected by the USGA..   duh. 

Furyk and Big Ern got one this year.   Tiger gets one until the day he dies. 

Edit:  I guess that is where this convo started.   poor reading comprehension.  sorry. 

Edited by lastings

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

18 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

https://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-actually-ahead-sam-snead-pga-tour-wins

I apologize if this has been covered. But I was under the impression that Tiger had surpassed Snead in total wins based on quite a few of Snead’s tournaments not really qualifying for what’s considered a ‘PGA Tour’ event. 

While it's true that Snead (and Hogan, and others) have been credited with official wins in events with as few as 15 or 16 players, while Tiger didn't get official wins for his 18-man event with arguably stronger fields, that doesn't mean Tiger has the record.

The governing body determines whether a win is official or not, period.  If the PGA says Sam's events are official and Tiger's aren't, that's it.  And in fact, a review was done by the PGA in the 1980's, and some of Sam's Greenbrier wins WERE designated unofficial.  Others were ambiguous, but they simply didn't have enough documentation to disallow them. 

Sometimes it works the other way.  In the case of the British Open, several players got an unofficial win retroactively upgraded to official.

Also note that last year, the Zurich was converted to team format,  which disarms the people who complained about Sam (and Jack) getting credit for team wins.  Jack also has an individual stroke play win that featured a field of 20.  That one (the 1976 World Series of Golf) not only counted as an official win, but it paid him $100K in official money in a year when the British Open paid only $13,500 to the winner, and most PGA events paid $40K or less.  Jack won only two events that year, neither a major, but that huge official check helped make him the leading money winner, which in turn helped make him Player of the Year, even though Ben Crenshaw won three events that year, and Hubert Green won three consecutive events.

It would be inconsistent to say Tiger should have the wins record, while (for example) disallowing Jack's claim that he won the scoring title several years during the 70's when he didn't play the then-minimum number of rounds (although I do give him credit for two years during the 60's, when he did everything right, but was ineligible for the Vardon simply because he didn't have enough time on tour).

So yeah, Tiger has the individual wins record, but that's not a thing.  The official PGA wins record is what the PGA says it is, and the PGA says Snead has 82 to Tiger's 79.

• Thumbs Up 1

What has to happen for Woods to win the  FedEx Cup:

Steve

350.png.74dc07be9c7de7e6ddc016fd5cce62e5.png

- Steve

Driver: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917D2 (9.5*), 3/4 Wood: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917F2 (16*),
Hybridstaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Rescue Mid (19*) & :wilsonstaff: D100 (22*), 5i-PW, GWcobra.png.f5a0c3806c04153a74a3b11aaf4308b0.png F7 One Length
Wedges:wilsonstaff: PMP (54* & 58*), Puttertaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Spider Mini

I'd be more than satisfied if he won the Tour Championship. The cup would be a bonus.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, Zeph said:

I'd be more than satisfied if he won the Tour Championship. The cup would be a bonus.

Ditto.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets