IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

This is quoted from an ESPN article. Extremely disheartening.

"For this season, Woods ranks a modest 61st in strokes gained putting. The trouble shows up from inside 10 feet, where he has made 86 percent of his putts to rank 168th; he's just 164th from 15 to 20 feet. And he is 189th in three-putt avoidance, with 22 three-putt greens in 540 holes."

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, colin007 said:

This is quoted from an ESPN article. Extremely disheartening.

"For this season, Woods ranks a modest 61st in strokes gained putting. The trouble shows up from inside 10 feet, where he has made 86 percent of his putts to rank 168th; he's just 164th from 15 to 20 feet. And he is 189th in three-putt avoidance, with 22 three-putt greens in 540 holes."

I generally hate “inside x feet” stats.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Tiger ranks 61st in strokes gained putting... but this doesn't account for course difficulty.  Ten of his last 14 rounds were at majors, and only two of those were at the PGA.  For contrast, Broadie recently pointed out that Tiger's T33 in par-4 scoring average, when adjusted for course difficulty, makes him (Tiger, not Mark) ranked 7th. 

The inside X feet stat really bugs me too.  Periodically my Game Golf tells me my priority within putting practice is putts "10 - 33 feet."  Thank you?  I really wish they'd find a way to break these up, maybe even fine-grain the "inside 10 feet" portion.  

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

23 hours ago, iacas said:

I generally hate “inside x feet” stats.

I agree, it's not the best of stats, but just with my own eyes I have seen more god-awful putts from my man this year than I ever remember seeing. Like shockingly bad putts, and you can't argue that the 3 putt avoidance stat isn't accurate.

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

8 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I agree, it's not the best of stats, but just with my own eyes I have seen more god-awful putts from my man this year than I ever remember seeing. Like shockingly bad putts, and you can't argue that the 3 putt avoidance stat isn't accurate.

I can.  I have noticed that I have a lot more 3-putts when I hit more greens.  I had four (one from the fringe, three from the green, two of which were GIR) in my recent 77.  Obviously, Tiger is better than I am at all aspects of the game, including putting.  3-putt avoidance is, to some extent, a statistic on how often one starts on the green inside 35' or so than it is a measure of putting skill.  All of my 3-putts started outside 30' -- obviously two-putting would be preferable (as would be hitting it closer).

I'd be a lot more curious for some statistic that blends strokes lost 3-putting.  This is probably not the best description for what I want, but someone who periodically hits an approach to 50' and 3-putts is in a different boat from someone who 3-putts from 10'.  

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Shindig said:

I can.  I have noticed that I have a lot more 3-putts when I hit more greens.  I had four (one from the fringe, three from the green, two of which were GIR) in my recent 77.  Obviously, Tiger is better than I am at all aspects of the game, including putting.  3-putt avoidance is, to some extent, a statistic on how often one starts on the green inside 35' or so than it is a measure of putting skill.  All of my 3-putts started outside 30' -- obviously two-putting would be preferable (as would be hitting it closer).

I'd be a lot more curious for some statistic that blends strokes lost 3-putting.  This is probably not the best description for what I want, but someone who periodically hits an approach to 50' and 3-putts is in a different boat from someone who 3-putts from 10'.  

All that. Yes.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

How many of his wins did you see and did you ever think he would be able to get this far? 

And what will he do when he wins 82? Will he go for more?

• iacas changed the title to Tiger Woods, 81 Career Victories
10 hours ago, KrisF said:

How many of his wins did you see and did you ever think he would be able to get this far? 

And what will he do when he wins 82? Will he go for more?

I’ve seen a lot and frankly thought he’d win more until he got hurt. He was just so dominant. Don’t forget all his oversees wins. He would be number 2 or 3 on the Euro Tour if he was a member.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I first saw Tiger when he beat Steve Scott for his 3rd amateur title. He had that broad striped shirt and straw hat on. I’ve seen the majority of his wins in the US but missed many of his overseas wins. He’s the GOAT.

BTW...this post for example could’ve just gone on the ‘Tiger Woods Master Catch All’ topic....just saying....

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I’ve posted this elsewhere.  Tiger needs to focus on getting to 83 and pick the tournaments which give him the best chance to get there, even if they are less prestigious.

This doesn’t mean that he should have passed on The Open to play Barbasol, but at the end of the day, there will still be certain numbers that people, and Tiger, will point to; and getting past Snead is one of those.

If he can pass Jack, that would be great, (he’d automatically pass Snead), but I would hate for him to finish second in both categories.

Before the injuries he was probably a lock to be 20+ and 90/100.  Right now  there is no telling if injuries might stop him again.

John

• Administrator
1 minute ago, 70sSanO said:

I’ve posted this elsewhere.  Tiger needs to focus on getting to 83 and pick the tournaments which give him the best chance to get there, even if they are less prestigious.

This doesn’t mean that he should have passed on The Open to play Barbasol, but at the end of the day, there will still be certain numbers that people, and Tiger, will point to; and getting past Snead is one of those.

Oh my.

No. Just no.

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

Oh my.

No. Just no.

In no way am I implying that Tiger should not play the majors.  He needs to play in every one he can.  Hopefully he has 5 more years of playing (20 majors).

The Snead/Tiger comparison thread shed light on a couple things.  Sam Snead was gifted some wins (I was unaware of the shortened tournaments) and at some point people will just look at the numbers.  Pretty surprising the thread even exists, especially while Tiger is still playing.

John

Edited by 70sSanO

3 minutes ago, 70sSanO said:

The Snead/Tiger comparison thread shed light on a couple things.  Sam Snead was gifted some wins (I was unaware of the shortened tournaments) and at some point people will just look at the numbers.  Pretty surprising the thread even exists, especially while Tiger is still playing.

Why are you surprised that there is a comparison thread even though one player is still active? It happens in all sports especially when the active person has done enough to already be considered the GOAT in their respective sport and is simply adding onto their legacy by continuing to play/win

Lebron is compared to Jordan and he's still active.

Tom Brady is compared to others in the NFL and he's still active.

Same with Federer. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

17 minutes ago, klineka said:

Why are you surprised that there is a comparison thread even though one player is still active? It happens in all sports especially when the active person has done enough to already be considered the GOAT in their respective sport and is simply adding onto their legacy by continuing to play/win

Lebron is compared to Jordan and he's still active.

Tom Brady is compared to others in the NFL and he's still active.

Same with Federer. 

The Snead/Tiger thread asked who is better.  If the question was who is better Hagen or Jones, few here, if any, witnessed their play, so it then becomes looking at the history/numbers that are available.

No one voted that Snead was better. Even asking the question was surprising.  And it was only asked because of 82 wins.  Millions of people have seen Tiger play and literally change the game.  How he dominated the game; won a major on a broken leg.  There is no comparison as to who is better.  Down the road when there are no longer people who saw Tiger play, I can see the question.

John

Edited by 70sSanO

2 hours ago, 70sSanO said:

Tiger needs to focus on getting to 83 and pick the tournaments which give him the best chance to get there, even if they are less prestigious.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but one thing that Woods does not lack is self respect. What are you suggesting, seriously? That he goes and tries to win an event where he's playing against people like Robert Allenby and Joh Daly?

1 hour ago, 70sSanO said:

Down the road when there are no longer people who saw Tiger play, I can see the question.

John

They will have high definition video. That will show them something.

No disrespect and not trying to cause an argument.  Has nothing to do with self respect.  I just want Tiger Woods to get to 83+ that’s all.  No one will ever come close to that number and I think he can get there.

John

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, 70sSanO said:

No disrespect and not trying to cause an argument.  Has nothing to do with self respect.  I just want Tiger Woods to get to 83+ that’s all.  No one will ever come close to that number and I think he can get there.

I don’t really think anyone’s going to get very close to 81 either.

46 minutes ago, 70sSanO said:

John

That really just fuels the technical fallacy of the total wins. Not only are Snead’s bs wins counted, but many of Tiger’s better wins are not. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge