IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

As I've said before, athletes don't realize wen they have past their prime until later. This article does have its merits. But the 35 cutoff line is arbitrary. See Phil. I think Tiger is on the downhill side or the back nine of his career.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As I've said before, athletes don't realize wen they have past their prime until later.

This article does have its merits. But the 35 cutoff line is arbitrary. See Phil.

I think Tiger is on the downhill side or the back nine of his career.

I don't think anyone disputes that he's on the downhill side of his career. It's a question for most people of whether or not he'll ever win another tournament, let alone a major, or not. I'll make my decision after next year. Tiger leads the first generation of golfers who have put a premium on fitness and nutrition (except for Gary Player, of course!). It's absolutely impossible for a basketball player to stay in the NBA at 45, but golf is different. Tom Watson was one shot away from a major at 58. Let's see...

I read a article how the Wyndham has a weak field, that would include web.com and lower level players. I just looked at the field this weekend, not so weak. Many big names playing. TW has his work cut out for him, to say the least.

I read a article how the Wyndham has a weak field, that would include web.com and lower level players. I just looked at the field this weekend, not so weak. Many big names playing. TW has his work cut out for him, to say the least.

frankly, i don't care if he is playing against our little sisters of the poor... all i care about is seeing him play as much as possible....

[QUOTE name="Yukari" url="/t/72993/tiger-woods-master-catch-all-thread-was-injury-thread/774#post_1185406"] As I've said before, athletes don't realize wen they have past their prime until later. This article does have its merits. But the 35 cutoff line is arbitrary. See Phil. I think Tiger is on the downhill side or the back nine of his career.[/QUOTE] I don't think anyone disputes that he's on the downhill side of his career. It's a question for most people of whether or not he'll ever win another tournament, let alone a major, or not. I'll make my decision after next year. Tiger leads the first generation of golfers who have put a premium on fitness and nutrition (except for Gary Player, of course!). It's absolutely impossible for a basketball player to stay in the NBA at 45, but golf is different. Tom Watson was one shot away from a major at 58. Let's see...

yup... even kareem, who was brought to earth by aliens, couldn't make it that long... :-P although when thinking about it... it is a strong possibility that now that golfers are now trained from birth, both from a golf and nutrition/fitness standpoint, that careers could actually end up being shorter on the whole... especially since the guys come on to tour "ready to win" these days... young, prepared "real athletes" hitting the tour every year is going to make scratching out a long tour career more and more difficult.... especially since the talent pool is ever increasing...

yup... even kareem, who was brought to earth by aliens, couldn't make it that long...

although when thinking about it... it is a strong possibility that now that golfers are now trained from birth, both from a golf and nutrition/fitness standpoint, that careers could actually end up being shorter on the whole... especially since the guys come on to tour "ready to win" these days...

young, prepared "real athletes" hitting the tour every year is going to make scratching out a long tour career more and more difficult.... especially since the talent pool is ever increasing...

good points.

You guys do know that Tiger is his real legal name, right? Changed many years ago. Calling him Eldrick is just a weak attempt to make fun of him, regardless of denials to the contrary.

I quote this in here since it got a bit off-topic in the Wyndham thread. Are there any evidence that he changed his name? Divorce papers apparently said Eldrick Tont Woods and I can't find any reliable source that he did change it. Even his own website says "Eldrick "Tiger" Woods".

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFlipper

You guys do know that Tiger is his real legal name, right? Changed many years ago. Calling him Eldrick is just a weak attempt to make fun of him, regardless of denials to the contrary.

I quote this in here since it got a bit off-topic in the Wyndham thread.

Are there any evidence that he changed his name? Divorce papers apparently said Eldrick Tont Woods and I can't find any reliable source that he did change it. Even his own website says "Eldrick "Tiger" Woods".

It is still not a sign of respect as some posters are alluding. They are doing it to provoke other posters. That is very immature.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

frankly, i don't care if he is playing against our little sisters of the poor... all i care about is seeing him play as much as possible....

That's pretty close to the field this week. ;-) I understand though, and he needs something positive....anything positive. No one would care if it's a high finish, let alone a win, on the Golden Bear Tour!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Another thing I noticed is there just doesn't seem to be much of a chemistry between Woods and LaCava. I've always been a critic Tiger dumping Stevie...I've always said and still hold it was a bad decision because Stevie was really good with Tiger in moments like this. They had great chemistry, they had great banter between them and I think it's pretty obvious Stevie is a hell of a caddie....The only time Adam Scott competes in tournaments anymore is when Stevie is on his bag. He's contending this week as well. If you think that's a coincidence, you're delusional. And I'm not saying LaCava's a bad caddie, but there's more to caddying than knowing the greens and knowing the yardages. It's also a lot about chemistry and the way you work together. I don't know the relationship between the two, but just watching them, it looks bland to me. Nothing like what you see from Spieth and Geller who have amazing chemistry.

I don't know how the conversations go between LaCava and Woods but it seems like he could get Tiger to calm down or collect himself during rounds. It never seems like there's much going on between the two except giving Woods towels and the right club but again I don't hear what they talk about like some other caddy/golfer relationships.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

It is still not a sign of respect as some posters are alluding. They are doing it to provoke other posters. That is very immature.

For some reason the threads disccussing a tournment bring those kind of posters out ... border line trolls in my books.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I don't know how the conversations go between LaCava and Woods but it seems like he could get Tiger to calm down or collect himself during rounds. It never seems like there's much going on between the two except giving Woods towels and the right club but again I don't hear what they talk about like some other caddy/golfer relationships.

From our limited perspective I agree it doesn't appear LaCava does much to calm Tiger down but maybe Tiger doesn't like that.  Stevie had a few one liners he'd throw out there to get Tiger to focus but I don't see even that with LaCava.  He definitely needed to step back and compose himself after the shank.

Joe Paradiso

I agree, most times it's used in a provocative post, but I was wondering about the name, not how people use it.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Every body has different tolerances for abuse and injury. Tiger's work ethic and practice regimen have been almost universally hailed as great and head and shoulders above everyone else. It may be, however, that his habits are catching up with him and overwhelming his body's capacity to heal. His athletic physique masks serious underlying issues....his back, his knee, his hip. All of the repetitions required to build that physique and that golf swing take a toll on the body. Just as some pitchers in baseball can throw hundreds of innings for 15-20 years, while others who are just as fit and train just as intelligently break down for good after 6-7 years, you don't know until an athlete gets over 35 how well they will hold up. I think he is also competitively "old," having competed on the national and global level since he was probably 12 years old. I don't think he will even break Snead's record. He can play three of the majors almost indefinitely, and is exempt for life on the PGA Tour, but it remains to be seen how long he will want to continue trying if he can't get into the events he really wants, like the WGC events, the season ending championships, etc. If he continues to struggle making cuts in majors, one wonders how long he can stomach the futility, having been arguably the best ever for so long. He is at best right now an average tour player, and he's in the decline phase of his career with a greater than average injury burden. I don't think he has a lot to look forward to.

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:

Sixty-nine percent of the teachers believe that Woods will win at least one Tour event next season, although 29 percent believe he will be winless but continue to improve. Just 2 percent said he will not improve upon a year in which he amassed just one top 10 finish in 11 Tour events.

Despite their general optimism, no teacher said they think Woods will win a major next season.

http://www.golf.com/golf-plus/top-100-teachers-tiger-woods-will-win-tour-event-2016?xid=golf_social

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post
Quote:

Sixty-nine percent of the teachers believe that Woods will win at least one Tour event next season, although 29 percent believe he will be winless but continue to improve. Just 2 percent said he will not improve upon a year in which he amassed just one top 10 finish in 11 Tour events.

Despite their general optimism, no teacher said they think Woods will win a major next season.

http://www.golf.com/golf-plus/top-100-teachers-tiger-woods-will-win-tour-event-2016?xid=golf_social

That's like calling Rickie Fowler overrated! And you know what happened when he found out about that. He quickly became one of the "Big Three," and pundits speculated how many majors he would win in the new Spieth-McIlroy-Fowler era.

Was there a poll recently that criticized Jason Day that I missed?

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

The 2% that said "no improvement" are correct. As always- the masses are asses.

Thanks for letting us know. Really glad to have someone around who knows his stuff.

• Upvote 1

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter