IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

Ha ha. "New." 😀

Lol precisely. He knows what he likes....

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From what I've heard, at one point Nike was very low on wedge blanks for tour players so they sourced some blank heads from Miura. The heads were ground by Nike tour club guys, were in play for a shor

I don't know if this has been brought up here before, but I just watched a YouTube video about Tiger's SixPeat - his six year run of 3 USGA Junior Amateurs followed by his 3 US Amateurs.

Agreed. It was well written with some new anecdotes, but the overall themes surrounding Tiger Woods remain unchanged by the article.  The major point I disagree with is definitively declaring tha

Posted Images

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Ha ha. "New." 😀

Phase 2 irons will have the "T" in the middle of the muscle, Phase 3 will have the "T" on the heel 😂

13 hours ago, iacas said:

Ha ha. "New." 😀

New to the general public eye at least :-P

@saevel25 yeah as soon as I saw them they reminded me of the P730s. A couple guys on tour use the P730s (or slightly tweaked versions of the P730s) including Justin Rose and Rory, but I think Rory's are technically "P730 Rors Proto" 

Having Taylormade woods and irons makes me wonder if he's tried or will try the TP5/TP5x balls. I'm not quite sure what the duration of his contract with Bridgestone is (if he even has a contract)

24 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Aren't his irons just Muira blades painted to look like they're Nike or TaylorMade anyway? ;-)

Most likely at least have the same specs, I would imagine.🍺

Jeez, I was just making a joke about a rumor that's been around a long time. I was not expecting a doctoral thesis, @mvmac.

Seriously, though, thanks for that. It was really interesting and informative.

Ignoring the small cut out of the back on the toe, he really hasn't changed much from the MP-14 and MP-29 combo set that he used to play as an amateur. Really the only change is that the muscleback now has a straight line across and is set ever so slightly lower on the iron, and the heel blends a bit better into the hosel. They look very close to the MP-14 otherwise.

MP-14:

s-l1600.jpg

MP-29:

1001873.jpg

Tiger's current irons:

DcIpa_4WAAAcxrb.jpg

Edited by Pretzel
Fixed pictures

1 hour ago, DeadMan said:

Jeez, I was just making a joke about a rumor that's been around a long time. I was not expecting a doctoral thesis, @mvmac.

🤣

Another pic I just saw.

31793538_947043712122807_6133375377868849152_n.jpg

"The difficulty through this process was trying to go with the right metal," he said. "For me, I prefer a different metal than what TaylorMade was using and also a different groove configuration than what TaylorMade was using."

“We have been working closely with Tiger on the development and refinement of a set of TaylorMade irons that meet his precise standards and preferences,” the company said in a statement. “As we continue to develop future iterations of Tiger’s prototype irons, ‘TW-Phase1’ marks Tiger’s initial transition into a TaylorMade set. This set was built to his meticulous specifications. Based on the positive feedback and excitement expressed by Tiger regarding upcoming prototypes, we are encouraged by the ongoing creation process and look forward to what’s in store for the next phase of Tiger’s irons. As we work toward finalizing Tiger’s new irons, there will be a lot more info to come, including a release date for golfers everywhere.”

Some interesting points from an article about his irons. Pretty crazy that he (and probably other tour players too) can tell the difference in a different groove configuration.

Also interesting that they specifically said "development and refinement of a set of TaylorMade irons" doesnt quite answer the question of if the blanks came from Muira and were just ground down to his specs or if they were TM blanks from the beginning.

I'm sure they would be way out of my price range, but that would be pretty cool to own a set of irons that was very similar or in identical specs to Tiger's.

Was looking at swings earlier in the year compared to more current, I think I see some differences. Now it could be camera angles, plus I dunno what the hell I'm talking about, but the more recent swing on the right, and in warmer climes, he seems to be "covering" the ball better, more open earlier, and that funky follow through isn't there. Steeper shaft in first picture, more rotated, bent trail arm in second, the third speaks for itself.

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 9.52.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 9.52.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 9.54.09 AM.png

9 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Was looking at swings earlier in the year compared to more current, I think I see some differences. Now it could be camera angles, plus I dunno what the hell I'm talking about, but the more recent swing on the right, and in warmer climes, he seems to be "covering" the ball better, more open earlier, and that funky follow through isn't there. Steeper shaft in first picture, more rotated, bent trail arm in second, the third speaks for itself.

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 9.52.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 9.52.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 9.54.09 AM.png

I could, and prolly am, be completely wrong, but I see a lot more early extension on the left pics....

On 5/1/2018 at 8:45 PM, saevel25 said:

He probably has the spec sheets for each iron so he just hands it to the club companies and says, "Make this!"

Since you mentioned his specs, I thought this was interesting (sorry if this has already been posted elsewhere)

http://www.thisisinsider.com/tiger-woods-clubs-off-he-noticed-2018-5?utm_source=quora

Apparently, Tiger's new irons were "1/2* off" and he noticed it during the pro-am.  The TaylorMade rep took them back to the tour trailer and checked them, and they were 1/2* off.  Is it hard to believe he could tell?  Eh...maybe.  But to me it's harder to believe TaylorMade gave him a set of irons that weren't spot-on.  I'm not sure if it was the loft or lie angle, but +/- 1/2* might be acceptable for "industry standards", but not for a Tour player, much less the biggest horse in your stable.

Final tally for Wells Fargo:

SG: Off the tee: 2.996 (15th)
SG: Approach to the green: 4.530 (9th)
SG: Around the green: -0.029 (44th)
SG: Putting: -5.823 (72nd)
SG: Tee to green: 7.497 (8th)
SG: Total: 1.674 (T55)

Finishes T55 and drops down from 88th to 92nd on the OWGR. Clearly the putting was a struggle, but driving accuracy was also a bit off, hitting 25/56 fairways (T63).

Next up is PLAYERS.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• iacas changed the title to Tiger Woods, 81 Career Victories