Valleygolfer

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

3,232 posts / 238039 viewsLast Reply

I keep seeing these 'over/under'-numbers before rounds of golf. What does it mean if someone says "73.5 O/U"?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

6 minutes ago, Zeph said:

I keep seeing these 'over/under'-numbers before rounds of golf. What does it mean if someone says "73.5 O/U"?

You “wager” on the over or the under.

They try to choose an interesting number that makes it difficult.

12 hours ago, Gerald Ladig said:

Know this has been brought a lot but does anybody think Tiger will win another tournament ?

To much media hype about Tiger this or Tiger will do that every time he tees it up.

The golf channel should be called the Tiger channel because that’s all you hear.

Of course he'll win more tournaments if he stays healthy. He's too much of a freakish talent not to. But i don't think he will ever win another US Open.  

On 6/15/2018 at 5:48 AM, Groucho Valentine said:

Of course he'll win more tournaments if he stays healthy. He's too much of a freakish talent not to. But i don't think he will ever win another US Open.  

Early days, he's only been healthy for about 7 months.  And in his prime (turning pro through 2009), believe it or not, majors were easier for him to win than regular tour events  --- he won 28% of the majors he played, and "only" 25.8% of the regular tour events.  He also won an incredible 53% of the WGCs he played (an even more unbelievable 65% of WGCs if you don't count the Match Play, which doesn't allow you to have even one off round).

The WGCs are fairly easy to explain --- they typically had fields of 80 or fewer players.  The fact that Tiger won them almost three times as often as regular tour events shows how much difference adding players ranked outside the top 100 can make, so the arguments that Jack fans make about field strength not being important once you get past the top ten or 20 players don't hold water.

As for the majors being easier to win than regular tour events, that's not so easy to explain (except for the Masters, which also has small fields, which is why both Tiger and Jack have won more of them than any other major), but I conjecture that it's a combination of two things:

1) The increased pressure in the majors eliminates several otherwise good players

2) When Tiger is on his game, it doesn't matter what the course or field is.

Edited by brocks

5 hours ago, nevets88 said:

New putter?

I heard on the radio he’s trying a mallet type putter. He’s probably too proud (stubborn) to just try the spider one Day and DJ use...wish he would. But hey, someone let LaCava know Tiger's trying a new putter ...he probably has no idea.

11 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I heard on the radio he’s trying a mallet type putter. He’s probably too proud (stubborn) to just try the spider one Day and DJ use...wish he would. But hey, someone let LaCava know Tiger's trying a new putter ...he probably has no idea.

The putter he has won 14 majors and 79 total tournaments give or take a few in the Nike years. It's not the putter. 

17 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

The putter he has won 14 majors and 79 total tournaments give or take a few in the Nike years. It's not the putter. 

Who knows? Sometimes just changing the picture changes something else. Lots of players have changed putters. I’m not saying I believe it’s the putter, but I’m all for him doing something if it improves for him.

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

And he’s always aimed it right. So maybe it is.

I wonder what I'd do if I ran into Woods. Usually, celeb sitings, I've always given them their privacy. This would be my reaction too though.

Even if the putter hasn't changed, Tiger might have made changes to where doesn't work anymore. Or it's a mental thing. Either way, the 13 majors argument doesn't matter. Recent results matter.

I don't really care what putter he uses as long as it works, though I didn't pop a bottle of champagne at the sight of the mallet. 

19 hours ago, brocks said:

Early days, he's only been healthy for about 7 months.  And in his prime (turning pro through 2009), believe it or not, majors were easier for him to win than regular tour events  --- he won 28% of the majors he played, and "only" 25.8% of the regular tour events.  He also won an incredible 53% of the WGCs he played (an even more unbelievable 65% of WGCs if you don't count the Match Play, which doesn't allow you to have even one off round).

The WGCs are fairly easy to explain --- they typically had fields of 80 or fewer players.  The fact that Tiger won them almost three times as often as regular tour events shows how much difference adding players ranked outside the top 100 can make, so the arguments that Jack fans make about field strength not being important once you get past the top ten or 20 players don't hold water.

As for the majors being easier to win than regular tour events, that's not so easy to explain (except for the Masters, which also has small fields, which is why both Tiger and Jack have won more of them than any other major), but I conjecture that it's a combination of two things:

1) The increased pressure in the majors eliminates several otherwise good players

2) When Tiger is on his game, it doesn't matter what the course or field is.

True. But 2018 Tiger is a 40 something year old with a laundry list of surguries that is searching for a game. If he ever discovers that game again, then i agree, he could be trouble in the majors besides the Masters.

18 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Sometimes, just practicing with a different putter can give you a fresh perspective on what you're doing with the stroke and alignment. I know it works that way for me. I mess around with a mallet or something for a few hours or practice round, but i always go back to my usual putter when it matters. 

On 6/26/2018 at 1:40 PM, nevets88 said:

Human highlight reel.

I think he caught it a touch fat.

P sure the mallet putter is in the bag.

Can’t wait for his next tournament. It’s The Open isn’t it? I predict he will contend, I put him top 5 there.