IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Just the U.S. Open, but he wouldn't have needed the win, as his OWGR would have gotten him in anyway.

Doesn't the win also qualify him for the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational (although, again, his OWGR would get him in anyway)?

- John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

Just the U.S. Open, but he wouldn't have needed the win, as his OWGR would have gotten him in anyway.

Winning didn't get him into the U.S. Open, either: simply qualifying for the Tour Championship did:

• Players qualifying for the season-ending 2017 Tour Championship. (from the 2018 exemptions list)

So he didn't even need to play in it. Just qualifying for it got him the U.S. Open exemption.

Yeah, I saw that.  Obviously we're all interested in the majors.  But I didn't know if there were any other non-majors that he now gets into (like the Tournament of Champions) because of the win.

Edited by Missouri Swede

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

Yeah, I saw that.  Obviously we're all interested in the majors.  But I didn't know if there were any other non-majors that he now gets into (like the Tournament of Champions) because of the win.

I think that's about it.

Most every other tournament uses OWGR or other types of things that he'd also have.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Winning didn't get him into the U.S. Open, either: simply qualifying for the Tour Championship did:

• Players qualifying for the season-ending 2017 Tour Championship. (from the 2018 exemptions list)

So he didn't even need to play in it. Just qualifying for it got him the U.S. Open exemption.

Ah, we're slowly getting back to the old Tiger when he qualified for majors with multiple exemptions. 😉

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Not the ending to the season Tiger wanted, going 0-4 in the Ryder Cup. He was the only player losing four matches, but might have gotten some competition from Phil or SLIG had they played four rounds. He looked tired and said so himself in interviews after. Many thought he did walk a bit more gingerly this week, which can be attributed to a lot of golf, colder weather and travelling 6 timezones for the RC. He played golf seven out of the nine last weeks and the last one in France. He didn't look injured or struggling with the back, which got some testing in the heavy rough at Le National. That much golf can make anyone weary, and Tiger's 42.

Woods admits he's tired: 'Lot of golf for short period'

SAINT-QUENTIN-EN-YVELINES, France – Looking tired and dejected, Tiger Woods joined the U.S. team for the post-match press conference following the American team's 17 ½-10 ½ loss to Europe on Sunday at the Ryder Cup.

It was a particularly long and demanding week for Woods, who failed to win at least a half point in a Ryder Cup for the first time in his career and ended with a 2-and-1 loss to Jon Rahm in Sunday’s singles session.

Although Woods wasn’t asked specifically about his health after appearing to move a little slower this week at Le Golf National, he did acknowledge that a long season on the PGA Tour - his first full season since 2013 - took a toll.

“I played seven out of nine weeks, because I qualified for [the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational] and all of those are big events, starting with The Open Championship. You've got a World Golf Championships, you've got another major championship, you've got the playoffs and then you have the Ryder Cup on the back side,” said Woods, who went 0-4-0. “For me, it's been a lot of golf for a short period of time.”

Woods, who missed his first foursomes session in the Ryder Cup on Friday when he was benched by captain Jim Furyk, said he will use the experience to plan for next year, which will include a more condensed season as well as the Presidents Cup in December when he will captain the U.S. team.

“I'll have a better understanding of what my training needs to be for next year so that I certainly can endure the entire season because this year was very much up in the air of how much I would play or if I would play at all,” he said.

https://www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-central-blog/woods-admits-hes-tired-lot-golf-short-period/

Still a really good season, capped off with win number 80 at the Tour Championship.

When will he tee it up next? Hero World Challenge Nov 29 - Dec 2 is a given. The only tournament I imagine he would play before that is the HSBC Champions Oct 25-28 which he has been adding to his schedule a number of times before, but last time was in 2010.

Edited by Zeph
  • Like 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Yeah, this is the most golf he's played since 2013, so it's understandable that he's tired. Apparently he was really out of it in France. Winning plus traveling 6 times zones and then trying to get up for a mentally draining event will wear anybody out.

I'd imagine we'll see him next in the Phil match, followed up the Hero. I doubt he makes the trip to China for the HSBC there. After that, it's probably the pretty traditional stops for him on the west coast and Florida swings. Plus Riveria, since that tournament benefits his charity now.

I really hope we don't see him going off and teeing it up for an appearance fee in Turkey or Dubai or somewhere like that, either. Not just now, but next season, too. It seems pretty obvious to me that his body is not quite ready for that.

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

38 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Maybes tigers relatively poor play in France gives Phil some hope that he wont be incinerated next month at their big money match. 

It's going to be a joke.  One of them will be 'on' that day, the other won't be.  Flip a coin on which.  They'll be struggling to make it entertaining.

Bill - 

If Phil brings half of his comedy from Twitter, it might be fun.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Maybes tigers relatively poor play in France gives Phil some hope that he wont be incinerated next month at their big money match. 

Tiger didn’t play that poorly. I’m not saying he played well. But it wasn’t as bad as six other Americans.

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

For sure.

And even if the other 6 had played decently, we still might have gotten beat.

It wasn't Tiger's fault. Watching him take on Molinari and Fleet by himself in the 4-ball was rough.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I thought this was doctored, but apparently Spieth really was that close, dunno why.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Literally, passing the torch.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Steve

• Administrator

I thought Nicklaus had said he was playing his "last" British Open in 2000, too, and Tiger won that one also. Then he played again in 2005… and Tiger won that one. So really you could say Tiger is 5 for 5 on the Jack's "Last Major" Tour.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

I thought Nicklaus had said he was playing his "last" British Open in 2000, too, and Tiger won that one also. Then he played again in 2005… and Tiger won that one. So really you could say Tiger is 5 for 5 on the Jack's "Last Major" Tour.

One of the tweet replies is, can Jack play the Masters in 2019? LOL.

• Like 2

Steve

10 hours ago, nevets88 said:

One of the tweet replies is, can Jack play the Masters in 2019? LOL.

Let's get a petition going!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 3 weeks later...

Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 10.05.47 AM.png

Steve