IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

I was just reading that during some weeks in 2008, the gap in OWGR points between Tiger and #2 Phil was larger than between Phil and the 1000th ranked player in the world. Looking at the archive, Tiger had more than double Phil's points for much of the early portion of the year, which (unless I'm making some obvious logical mistake), the gap between Tiger and Phil was actually larger than the gap between Phil and you or I.

This is the archive from the week after Tiger won the Dubai Desert Classic: http://dps.endavadigital.net/owgr/doc/content/archive/2008/owgr05f2008.pdf

• Thumbs Up 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 hour ago, jamo said:

I was just reading that during some weeks in 2008, the gap in OWGR points between Tiger and #2 Phil was larger than between Phil and the 1000th ranked player in the world. Looking at the archive, Tiger had more than double Phil's points for much of the early portion of the year, which (unless I'm making some obvious logical mistake), the gap between Tiger and Phil was actually larger than the gap between Phil and you or I.

Right, because the lowest points totals we could have is 0.0, and IIRC Phil was in the 9s while Tiger was at like 21 or so for awhile.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 11/22/2018 at 1:27 PM, jamo said:

This is the archive from the week after Tiger won the Dubai Desert Classic: http://dps.endavadigital.net/owgr/doc/content/archive/2008/owgr05f2008.pdf

Take a look at it in early 2001. The system was different, but http://dps.endavadigital.net/owgr/doc/content/archive/2001/owgr20f.pdf I think puts him at 2.5 times Phil's points. 12.93 vs 32.33. I think that's the highest total he ever had. It would have included all four majors and the Players. Doubtful if he or anyone else has ever had more points than that. I'd be curious to see how many points that would give him right now in the current system, but I don't have the energy to figure it out at the moment. Maybe later today.

1 hour ago, Ty_Webb said:

Take a look at it in early 2001. The system was different, but http://dps.endavadigital.net/owgr/doc/content/archive/2001/owgr20f.pdf I think puts him at 2.5 times Phil's points. 12.93 vs 32.33. I think that's the highest total he ever had. It would have included all four majors and the Players. Doubtful if he or anyone else has ever had more points than that. I'd be curious to see how many points that would give him right now in the current system, but I don't have the energy to figure it out at the moment. Maybe later today.

And I decided to figure it out. I think the week after the Masters in 2001, his ranking would have been 23.35 points average on the current method. That's assuming that tournaments then had the same points weighting as they do now and taking a guess at a couple of events that no longer exist. Either way, compare that with Brooks Koepka who right now has an average of 10.115, which is good for 1st place. Also worth bearing in mind that he wouldn't have that many points if Tiger had his results. I'd say that makes Phil's points tally pretty good. And Tiger's was spectacular.

• Like 1

• Administrator

Tiger Woods made a hole-in-one last week.

That’s not surprising, since he is the best player of his generation by miles, a winner of 14 majors and 80 PGA Tour titles.

And he had 19 in his career.

No, the shocking part was that it was his first one in 20 years.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2018/11/27/tiger-woods-20th-hole-one-ace/2129575002/

• Informative 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

36 minutes ago, iacas said:

5 iron 210. I bet it had some roll 😋

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

They could (and maybe should) have left out the phrase 'of his generation'.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• Administrator
Just now, turtleback said:

They could (and maybe should) have left out the phrase 'of his generation'.

Yeah, but they might have had to tone down the "by miles" part. Depending on your sense of scale, anyway.

So an ace during the 9 hole at The Masters. That would count as a hole in one right? Imho it does. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I forget if Discovery is part of basic cable, I don't think it is. Looks like focus is more international initially.

Fresh off strong tune-in (despite a conspicuous tech glitch) for his pay-per-view match against Phil Mickelson, golfer Tiger Woods has inked a multi-year global partnership with Discovery and GolfTV, its new streaming venture with the PGA Tour.

The deal offers Discovery and the PGA a significant marketing hook for GolfTV, which launches in January in several territories outside the U.S. It plans to stream 2,000 hours of live golf each year along with on-demand content. The parties are envisioning “a wide range of programming, content creation and storytelling opportunities,” according to a press release announcing the deal.

GolfTV content created with Woods will be available in the U.S. down the line but streaming internationally will be the main focus for now. GolfTV will light up January 1 in Australia, Canada, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia and Spain. Other territories will be added through 2024. Domestic streaming will continue on PGA Tour Live, the golf circuit’s existing platform.

tiger-woods-golf-tv.jpg?w=300

Tiger Woods has inked a multi-year global partnership with Discovery and its soon-to-launch streaming venture with the PGA Tour.

Steve

On 11/29/2018 at 11:46 AM, nevets88 said:

I forget if Discovery is part of basic cable, I don't think it is. Looks like focus is more international initially.

tiger-woods-golf-tv.jpg?w=300

Tiger Woods has inked a multi-year global partnership with Discovery and its soon-to-launch streaming venture with the PGA Tour.

I'm excited about this deal. I think Discovery Golf is a subscription streaming channel at this point. Looking forward to these. 

- Mark

New documentary on ESPN end of the month.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Leadpoison with some comments on Tiger's swing - mainly about a wide takeaway and a late wrist set, also his arms keep moving after the shoulders stop turning. Comments?

Webp.net-gifmaker.gif

The 14-time major winner's swing is close to being his best ever, according to one Hall of fame instructor.

Colin P.

2 hours ago, colin007 said:

Leadpoison with some comments on Tiger's swing - mainly about a wide takeaway and a late wrist set, also his arms keep moving after the shoulders stop turning. Comments?

Webp.net-gifmaker.gif

The 14-time major winner's swing is close to being his best ever, according to one Hall of fame instructor.

Lol! Great nickname!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I see...  I see... A funny commercial in the horizon, two red shirts...

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

The font of the iron numbers is so... modern.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
Undercover-Tour-Pro-Tiger-Woods.jpg

This past season much was made about Tiger Woods being a changed person. Friendlier...

Tiger haters won’t want to read that. Says what I have always said: Tiger (and Vijay) are well liked by their peers.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, iacas said:
Undercover-Tour-Pro-Tiger-Woods.jpg

This past season much was made about Tiger Woods being a changed person. Friendlier...

Tiger haters won’t want to read that. Says what I have always said: Tiger (and Vijay) are well liked by their peers.

Lmao, he calls Bryson Dechambeau "Rainman." What's his nickname for you, Erik? I feel like you told me once he has one for you. 

Constantine