IGNORED

2014 & '15 Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 3327 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I would have to think that Scott's confidence, at least in the broomstick, has to be shaken. How can it not be? And that is not necessarily something good for going into the "Toonamint"...

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, at least we have found agreement in that we each feel the other has shared something and, as a result, we think there is some stupidity involved with the other's position.

I don't think anybody is stupid for thinking one way or the other. I really think it probably won't mean diddly squat, one way or the other, for how he plays in the Masters but who knows? Missed putts add to that house of cards just like they do for every golfer but other than that, as Forest would say "Stupid is as stupid does" and "That's all I've got to say about that."

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFKFREAK

Not quite sure what you're trying to suggest with your post.  It's obvious that Adam Scott is talented, anyone that denies that is just fooling themselves because you don't get to #2 in the world without talent.

That being said, I just have never been a fan of national announcers gushing over players, and it's not just in golf.  Didn't like it when they would do it with Michael Jordan in basketball and don't like it when they do it with Sidney Crosby in the hockey and don't get me started with some of the announcers of NFL games.  In sports where you have a home media market, it's a little more understandable because 95% of people watching are rooting for the home media market team, but in national telecasts, it annoys me to no end.

I'm saying that he doesn't strike me as someone who doesn't want to win, nor someone who "falters" a lot.

But then, your standards may be higher than mine.......

Where did I say he doesn't want to win or that he falters a lot? :blink:

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Adam scott faltered super hard in this 2012 British Open on the last hole and Big Easy drained his putt. This is just a part of his DNA to choke on Sunday.

How to fix it:

-Get rid of the broomstick and you wont start feeling guilty

-Take your sunglasses off because you know that we know that hiding your eyes when it's dark outside means you are hiding from something.

So in short, lose the broomstick.

Seriously, if he felt as if he was playing by the same standards as the rest of the field, he could feel confident that he got to Sunday fair and square and deserves it.

Scott has a history of this shaky putting even recently. Obviously the 2012 Open, but even last year I remember a lot of short missed putts at the Masters on Sunday. Last year at the Australian Masters where Rory beat him, he missed a lot of 5-10 foot putts that would have won him the tournament going away. Now this, with the inexcusable though so predictable miss of short put on 16 and the 63 putts on the weekend.

Don't really care about being fair, to be honest.

You said that there's only a couple of guys that you don't want to win.  Me, too.  One of those guys for me is Adam Scott and if it's because he falters, then so be it.

I also find it super annoying how the announcers gush over him like he's the best thing that has ever happened to the game.

Where did I say he doesn't want to win or that he falters a lot?

Sorry, I misread.....you agreed that you didn't want him to win, and that he falters......

Adam scott faltered super hard in this 2012 British Open on the last hole and Big Easy drained his putt. This is just a part of his DNA to choke on Sunday.

How to fix it:

-Get rid of the broomstick and you wont start feeling guilty

-Take your sunglasses off because you know that we know that hiding your eyes when it's dark outside means you are hiding from something.

So in short, lose the broomstick.

Seriously, if he felt as if he was playing by the same standards as the rest of the field, he could feel confident that he got to Sunday fair and square and deserves it.

Another guy with high standards.....

In 13 years as a pro he's won 26 times, including a Masters and a Tournament Players Championship.  Just because he doesn't win every week, I'm not going to characterize him as a choker.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Congratz to Matt..!!!  Umm wasn't he on the Big Break ???

yes - he and Two Gloves Tommy Gainey are the two alumn from Big Break to win..........on another note, wonder what Arnie, Jack, and Gary Player think about crying in golf.  These guys are spouting the croc tears on a regular basis, aren't they?

yes - he and Two Gloves Tommy Gainey are the two alumn from Big Break to win..........on another note, wonder what Arnie, Jack, and Gary Player think about crying in golf.  These guys are spouting the croc tears on a regular basis, aren't they?

They probably think about it the same way my father or uncle do, they don't understand it.  Feminine movement saw to it that girls played with trucks and boys were handed Barbies and told it's okay to cry.  So now you have really tough women and men continue the process of getting in touch with their feelings.  During Jack and Arnie's years, life was so tough, tears of joy just wasn't an emotion those guys had in their DNA.

I had some croc tears when my kids were born and a few other events in life that involved them.  I've never shed tears over work or personal accomplishment, but if that's the emotion they feel I'm happy for them.

Joe Paradiso

i freaking cry all the time.  sometimes those Dicks commercials make me cry.  movies make me cry, books make me cry, so i got it pretty bad.

Colin P.

I think what Chablee said makes a lot of sense. Winning going away does nothing for him. Losing like that will steel his resolve because he is not just some schlub in the top 100. He's the #2 player in the world and he'll use it to his advantage That's what great players do with setbacks.

JMO.

You have to agree that's not 100% accurate. If winning an event like this doesn't give you confidence going into the masters, I don't know what would. I'm not saying the game will definitely carry over, but the confidence alone is worth something.

I believe that losing may strengthen his resolve, but I believe winning would have had a bigger impact. I know personally that getting a promotion drives me harder, than not getting one. When you put in the hard work these guys put into their games, nothing motivates you harder than positive reinforcement.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

They probably think about it the same way my father or uncle do, they don't understand it.  Feminine movement saw to it that girls played with trucks and boys were handed Barbies and told it's okay to cry.  So now you have really tough women and men continue the process of getting in touch with their feelings.  During Jack and Arnie's years, life was so tough, tears of joy just wasn't an emotion those guys had in their DNA.

I had some croc tears when my kids were born and a few other events in life that involved them.  I've never shed tears over work or personal accomplishment, but if that's the emotion they feel I'm happy for them.

My dad is the toughest man I ever knew and I have worked in some of the roughest and toughest industries my whole life. He grew up in a family that was the poorest of the poor in the Depression, and lied about his age and fought in WWII at 16 years old. Today at 87 years old and not in good health in the hospital when a visitor asks him how he is doing he says "I'm doing fine".

I told somebody yesterday that he would say that no matter how bad things were. I honestly believe he wouldn't complain, or even act like it hurt, if somebody cut his arm off with a dull pocketknife.

That said, I have seen him cry many times. He cried when JFK was killed. He cried when he took me to Fort Knox for basic training. He cried when we took my brother to the airport when he went into the Navy.

On the other hand I never cry. Nothing intentional about it but it just isn't my nature and I'm not even in the neighborhood of toughness as my dad. Hell, I'm complaining right now about my elbow hurting so I can't play golf. SMH!

So I'm not buying that somebody's propensity to "cry" has much to do with anything except their nature. It's certainly not toughness or that somebody was raised under tough circumstances.

Do international players break down after wins as much as American players seem to do?

BTW, here's what was in Every's bag:

Ball: Callaway Speed Regime 3

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha (Fujikura Motore SPD VC 7.0x), 9 degrees

3-wood: Callaway X2 Hot Pro, 15 degrees

5-wood: TaylorMade Burner SuperFast, 18 degrees

Irons (4-PW): Callaway Apex Pro

Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy 2 (52, 56, 60 degrees)

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #9

He was also tied for the lead in the final round of the 2013 British Open midway through the back 9 and fell apart at the end. However, he's got two Masters tournaments in the last 3 years where he surged at the end, so he needs to keep re-telling himself that to keep his confidence down the stretch up.

''Walking up the fairways on the last few holes, I had tears in my eyes four or five times, I just welled up.''

- Jack Nicklaus April 13, 1986

• Upvote 1

Bill M

Do international players break down after wins as much as American players seem to do?

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/blogs/hotlist365/2014/03/winners-bag-what-matt-every-us.html#ixzz2wtO4dhfS

Interesting, he had Big Berta head covers on all his woods, guess that's his deal with Callaway.

Joe Paradiso

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/blogs/hotlist365/2014/03/winners-bag-what-matt-every-us.html#ixzz2wtO4dhfS

No one seems to have the ID on his most interesting club in the bag: the driving iron.  Johnny Miller mentioned that he had a specially-made driving iron and when the chips were down there was Every, normally a short hitter, bombing his iron off the tee 250+.  I would guess it was the X Utility Prototype Iron in place of that 5 wood, and it looked the part on TV, but what length/loft?

i freaking cry all the time.  sometimes those Dicks commercials make me cry.  movies make me cry, books make me cry, so i got it pretty bad.

I'm with Colin on this one.  Sometimes I kinda wish I wasn't but, hey, whatever.  I think Jimmy V said it best ...

I'm a very emotional and passionate man. I can't help it. That's being the son of Rocco and Angelina Valvano. It comes with the territory. We hug, we kiss, we love. When people say to me how do you get through life or each day, it's the same thing. To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special.

I can't even read the text of that speech without crying. :cry: I don't think everybody needs to be that lame, but if you watch the whole thing and don't shed a tear, I think you must be a tin man.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3327 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!