IGNORED

2014 Masters Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3662 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Have we discussed enough (or at all??) how Bernhard Langer, yes Bernhard Langer!!!, went birdie, birdie, par, birdie over the final four holes yesterday to finish at even par and tied for 8th place in the tournament?!?!?!?!

Pretty impressive!

Well, I've picked him in the contest and in my opinion, he really didn't come that close to my expectations...

I think the real story of this years Masters was how many big names didn't make the cut.  Luke Donald, Sergio, Els, Phil, Charl, Webb, Zach Johnson, DJ, Keegan, Dufner, Reed to only name a few.  Looking at only the Top 10 you'd never guess this was a Major.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Have we discussed enough (or at all??) how Bernhard Langer, yes Bernhard Langer!!!, went birdie, birdie, par, birdie over the final four holes yesterday to finish at even par and tied for 8th place in the tournament?!?!?!?!

Pretty impressive!

Really, really impressive.

I think the real story of this years Masters was how many big names didn't make the cut.  Luke Donald, Sergio, Els, Phil, Charl, Webb, Zach Johnson, DJ, Keegan, Dufner, Reed to only name a few.  Looking at only the Top 10 you'd never guess this was a Major.

That's a good point. Bubba's win wasn't too surprising.  But you're right, the rest of the board was unexpected. It's been a strange year so far.

Brands I use:

:tmade::cobra: :titleist: 

There were 294 3-putts this week. That sounds like a lot to me, considering the smaller field. How many 3-putts does a regular PGA tour event usually get by the end of the week?

• Administrator
There were 294 3-putts this week. That sounds like a lot to me, considering the smaller field. How many 3-putts does a regular PGA tour event usually get by the end of the week?

I was going to type something up, but @jamo 's post answers it just fine.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Pretty impressive!

It reminded me of when Charl Schwartzel won the 2011 Masters - his round wasn't even really being covered by the broadcast crew who were watching the epic Rory meltdown and Charl going birdie/birdie/birdie/birdie to finish didn't make broadcast noise until 17 (as I recall it). The difference yesterday being Bubba never had a slip after the a bobble at 10.

Players play, tough players win!

Anybody else think that if Rory would have Eagled #13, hell even got a birdie, then he could have made a serious charge?

He was charging hard but once the ball went into the water, you could tell he really thought he had a chance at posting a low score in the clubhouse.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Boring telecast yesterday. I'm a fan of Johnny Miler and would have loved to hear his comments during the final round - what Spieth might be thinking, Bubba's drive on 13.   I think CBS's coverage is too tame - in fear of angering the Lords of Augusta. Surprised that one commentator even called the patrons "a crowd"......I think it was Jack Whitaker was chastised for using the term "mob" once when referring to the spectators.  Guess Miller wouldn't ever make it covering the Masters - too much controversy.

Boring telecast yesterday. I'm a fan of Johnny Miler and would have loved to hear his comments during the final round - what Spieth might be thinking, Bubba's drive on 13.   I think CBS's coverage is too tame - in fear of angering the Lords of Augusta. Surprised that one commentator even called the patrons "a crowd"......I think it was Jack Whitaker was chastised for using the term "mob" once when referring to the spectators.  Guess Miller wouldn't ever make it covering the Masters - too much controversy.

Johnny Miller is a bit of a jerk...

He offers his opinions in a very condescending manner.  That wouldn't fit Augusta very well.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Gary McCord angered the "Lords" of Augusta and look what happened...

Gary McCord angered the "Lords" of Augusta and look what happened...

"Them greens are so fast it looks like Augusta National bikini waxed the greens!".

Love that quote, best one over.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

I have a funny feeling you'd find something to criticize about the announcers, no matter who was doing the coverage. ;-)

• Administrator
@jamo 's post didn't answer my question. I'm just curious; not trying to make a point or anything.

I was referring to his last point to look at the scoring. It's not like they were reaching a bunch of par fours that they could three-putt and still not lose a stroke to par. i.e. If so many three-putts occurred, the scoring would have been much worse. It wasn't, despite penalties being rather high. Scoring was pretty typical, GIR was down slightly, so putting as a whole was average to [i]better than average .

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Sure it does. Look at the scoring. It's not like they were reaching a bunch of par fours that they could three-putt and still not lose a stroke to par. Scoring was pretty typical, GIR was down slightly, so putting as a whole was average to [i]better than average .

Unless I'm missing some hidden text, nowhere in his post does he state how many 3-putts the average PGA tour tournament gets. That's all I wanted to know. As I said, I'm not trying to prove anything I just want to know the statistic.

• Administrator
Unless I'm missing some hidden text, nowhere in his post does he state how many 3-putts the average PGA tour tournament gets. That's all I wanted to know. As I said, I'm not trying to prove anything I just want to know the statistic.

I'm pointing out that you don't have to know that number. You can get a feel for it via GIR and raw scoring. And my stats above, too, about putts per hole.

I'm pointing out that you don't have to know that number. You can get a feel for it via GIR and raw scoring. And my stats above, too, about putts per hole.

I agree. I think all the 3-putt stat means, if it is higher than normal, is that there are certain areas on the green that are much harder to putt from than other areas. But I still want to know what it is out if curiosity.

Note: This thread is 3662 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!