IGNORED

2014 U.S. Opens (Plural!) at Pinehurst #2 Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3253 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Avoided TST yesterday as I had the final round on DVR. Watched last night, started at Kaymer's tee time. I didn't think was boring, it's fun to see some total dominate even if it's not of our usual heros. A Player's and a US Open in 2014. Does Kaymer get a lock on POY honours?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Avoided TST yesterday as I had the final round on DVR. Watched last night, started at Kaymer's tee time. I didn't think was boring, it's fun to see some total dominate even if it's not of our usual heros. A Player's and a US Open in 2014. Does Kaymer get a lock on POY honours?

Did you start getting the shakes?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Avoided TST yesterday as I had the final round on DVR. Watched last night, started at Kaymer's tee time. I didn't think was boring, it's fun to see some total dominate even if it's not of our usual heros.

A Player's and a US Open in 2014. Does Kaymer get a lock on POY honours?

As of right now, Kaymer is in good position for it.

Was the US Open less exciting than others, yea. Was it boring, NO

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

As of right now, Kaymer is in good position for it.

Was the US Open less exciting than others, yea. Was it boring, NO

I napped through much of it and then turned it off. It's like watching a tournament when you already know who the winner is. I got vaguely interested a few times when it looked like the wheels might fall off the Kaymermobile, but then he would birdie the next hole and dozed off again.

- Shane

Without looking up a specific name - I'm picking the highest rated German playing in the US Womens Open, to have a sweep for the fatherland.

Players play, tough players win!

Sandra Gal, probably not a bad pick, actually.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Avoided TST yesterday as I had the final round on DVR. Watched last night, started at Kaymer's tee time. I didn't think was boring, it's fun to see some total dominate even if it's not of our usual heros.

A Player's and a US Open in 2014. Does Kaymer get a lock on POY honours?

The last day of the British Open I'm traveling from Jersey to Florida and I'm DVR'ing it at home and planning to watch Monday. It's going to be hard avoiding finding out the outcome. My Ipod will be going all day with music, my texts will be shut off, and I'm disabling the internet on my phone so I don't accidentally hit "espn.com" which is an absolute routine for me. When I get home late that night I am going straight to bed.

I'm really interested to see how much easier the pin placements are this week compared to last.

Why would they be any easier?

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

The last day of the British Open I'm traveling from Jersey to Florida and I'm DVR'ing it at home and planning to watch Monday. It's going to be hard avoiding finding out the outcome. My Ipod will be going all day with music, my texts will be shut off, and I'm disabling the internet on my phone so I don't accidentally hit "espn.com" which is an absolute routine for me. When I get home late that night I am going straight to bed.

I'll be in DC and NY all British Open. I'll probably just look up the scores because i can't last four days without internet and finding the score

Riley

Why would they be any easier?

Because pin placements on the LPGA tour are traditionally much easier than on the PGA. This is not a sexist comment, so save that argument.  It's just a fact.  It's been discussed here many times.  Still a really tough test, but you will not see the pins in some of the spots you saw them this week.  Trust me.

Because pin placements on the LPGA tour are traditionally much easier than on the PGA. This is not a sexist comment, so save that argument.  It's just a fact.  It's been discussed here many times.  Still a really tough test, but you will not see the pins in some of the spots you saw them this week.  Trust me.

uh... okay. Didn't know that.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Brought this up in another thread and wanted to get some opinions on here.....was this US Open a result of Kaymer playing good and the rest of the players playing bad or was the course really that tough and only Kaymer just had an incredible week?

Some reasons I bring it up....Johnny Miller yesterday and then Nick Faldo this morning both said they feel that the players did not have a good week and that scoring was out there and players failed to execute. Also, in 1999 and 2005 this course had much harder greens, penalties for missing the fairway and they didn't make par-4s reachable like they did this one and if you take away Kaymer's score, the rest of the scoring was pretty much the same as '99 and '05.

Personally, I think it's somewhere in the middle. I think Kaymer played out of his mind, but I also think with the greens on Thursday and Friday as soft as they were and the lack of penalties for missing the fairway, there should have been lower scores. Same with Merion last year. For as soft as those greens were and as many wedges as players had in their hands, there was a surprisingly low amount of birdies made. It makes me question whether with the game today we just have a lot of "pretty good players" and no real elite players right now?

Brought this up in another thread and wanted to get some opinions on here.....was this US Open a result of Kaymer playing good and the rest of the players playing bad or was the course really that tough and only Kaymer just had an incredible week? Some reasons I bring it up....Johnny Miller yesterday and then Nick Faldo this morning both said they feel that the players did not have a good week and that scoring was out there and players failed to execute. Also, in 1999 and 2005 this course had much harder greens, penalties for missing the fairway and they didn't make par-4s reachable like they did this one and if you take away Kaymer's score, the rest of the scoring was pretty much the same as '99 and '05. Personally, I think it's somewhere in the middle. I think Kaymer played out of his mind, but I also think with the greens on Thursday and Friday as soft as they were and the lack of penalties for missing the fairway, there should have been lower scores. Same with Merion last year. For as soft as those greens were and as many wedges as players had in their hands, there was a surprisingly low amount of birdies made. It makes me question whether with the game today we just have a lot of "pretty good players" and no real elite players right now?

A mix of both. I think that the players probably should have scored better. I think that 7 or 8 players had potential to finish under par(Stenson, Johnson, Na, Koepka, Sneds) but couldn't do it. However, I do not believe that the course was playing easy or anything.

Riley

Following the U.S. Open, for the first time in USGA history, the U.S. Women’s Open will be conducted at the same site, Pinehurst No. 2.

The USGA announced its official tee times for the first two rounds of the U.S. Women’s Open on Saturday.

Here is a look at some of the best pairings:

Stacy Lewis, Inbee Park, Emma Talley : The world's No. 1 and No. 2, respectively, will be paired with one of the top-ranked amateur players in the world in reigning U.S. Women’s Amateur champion Emma Talley . Park won the championship in 2013, one of her three majors of 2013. Lewis won the 2013 Women’s British Open.

Cheyenne Woods, Natalie Gulbis, Juli Inkster : The only member of the Woods family who will play at Pinehurst throughout the two weeks, Woods qualified at the Scottsdale, Ariz., sectional. Gulbis is looking for her first major championship (best finish at U.S. Women’s Open, T-4 in 2005), while Inkster, 53 and the 2015 Solheim Cup captain, is looking for her third U.S. Women’s Open title.

Lydia Ko, Suzann Pettersen, Cristie Kerr : Ko, 17, is playing in her first U.S. Women’s Open as a professional. She won this year's Swinging Skirts LPGA Classic for her first win as a pro. Pettersen, the winner of the 2013 Evian Championship, is playing in her first major of the year after missing the Kraft Nabisco Championship with a back injury. Kerr is the winner of the 2007 U.S. Women’s Open Championship at Pine Needles.

Michelle Wie, Catriona Matthew, Amy Yang : Arguably the hottest player on the LPGA this season, Wie won the Lotte Championship amid six other top-10 finishes in 11 events. Matthew is looking to win her second major championship; her best finish at the Open was T-4 in 2001. Yang finished second to Na Yeon Choi in 2012.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Worst US open ever?

Runaway winner since Thursday... Terrible looking course.... No challengers... No Tiger.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

I think players should have played better and the "rough" seemed fairly forgiving for the most part. Wait, let me reiterate...to me it looked like the majority of the field should have putted better. The chances were there. I'm really curious as to how many putts inside 10 feet Henrik Stenson missed. That dude had the ability to go very low...especially on Saturday.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Note: This thread is 3253 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!