IGNORED

2014 U.S. Open Prediction Contest: Win a TaylorMade JetSpeed Driver!

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3597 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That was a great pick on his part, but given the emphasis placed on abiding by the rules (for all the prior contests as well), I would think he'd be DQ'd for not having 3 picks.....just saying.

Not a violation worthy of a DQ....instead, Erik assessed a two-stroke penalty....he still won.

Congtats Valley.......very, very nice work!

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

• Administrator
That was a great pick on his part, but given the emphasis placed on abiding by the rules (for all the prior contests as well), I would think he'd be DQ'd for not having 3 picks.....just saying.

The Rules are there to protect people from others gaining an advantage, and to determine the winner.

He only hurt himself by not listing the second and third choices, and gained no advantage.

Just like someone listing "Fowler -4" or something - if there's only one Fowler in the field, we know who he is talking about. Those people are DQed if there are two "Fowler"s because we can't know who they mean, so they have an "advantage" of playing both. That's why the rules state that you should list their full name. It's for identification purposes in case people share last names (or first names, I suppose, if Bubba Watson and Bubba Dickerson both qualify or something…).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Valleygolfer is so badass, he doesn't need to abide by this rule "Your answer must also include a 2nd and 3rd choice"

It was my Chuck Norris moment... Everybody gets one. It is like your 15 minutes of fame...

Is quid slang for dollars as well? Never heard an American use it in normal conversation, only when trying to fit-in in London.

I have been watching a show called "Wheeler Dealers", and I was just referencing him when I said "quid"... Entertaining show, if you like cars. Plus I get to learn some of the British slang...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Not a violation worthy of a DQ....instead, Erik assessed a two-stroke penalty....he still won.

Congtats Valley.......very, very nice work!

Actually, if he was assessed a two stroke penalty, I would have won :-) .

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Actually, if he was assessed a two stroke penalty, I would have won .

My bad...thought you had Kaymer at -6 and he had -9....could be wrong.

Nice pick for you in any event (I came in 2nd last year when Scott won the Masters....dammit).

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

My bad...thought you had Kaymer at -6 and he had -9....could be wrong.

Nice pick for you in any event (I came in 2nd last year when Scott won the Masters....dammit).

No, you were right. It was my bad. I was thinking as if the penalty would have been assessed on Kaymer. And it's not even cocktail hour yet!

My Tools of Ignorance:

The Rules are there to protect people from others gaining an advantage, and to determine the winner.

He only hurt himself by not listing the second and third choices, and gained no advantage.

Just like someone listing "Fowler -4" or something - if there's only one Fowler in the field, we know who he is talking about. Those people are DQed if there are two "Fowler"s because we can't know who they mean, so they have an "advantage" of playing both. That's why the rules state that you should list their full name. It's for identification purposes in case people share last names (or first names, I suppose, if Bubba Watson and Bubba Dickerson both qualify or something…).

Fair enough.  I'm not salty about it.  I had no chance of winning anyway.  I just thought it was an interesting point that Crim brought up.

Driver:       Cobra AMP Cell - Blue

Fairway:    TM Rocketballz Stage 2  *17
Hybrids:    Callaway X2 Hot 19* and 22*
Irons:        Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
Wedges:   Cleveland 588  51*, 56*, 60*

Putter:      Scotty Cameron GoLo Customized

Ball:          Srixon Z Star (2013)

Duffner's the only one with the 'quid', which of course is the gob of tobacco he sucks on.

And hey, is there no contest or prize for the ladies' US Open?  How about a 4 hybrid or 7 wood?

My picks

Ko at minus 6

Wie at minus 5

Inbee Park at minus 4

Duffner's the only one with the 'quid', which of course is the gob of tobacco he sucks on.

Dumb question, I've been to the UK a couple times but always brought enough dip with me. Can you buy chew or dip anywhere in the UK?

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I like the idea of a contest, but your second and third choices are sure to be picked to win by others, thus nullifying them.

Contest or not, following the guidlines for the men's contest, my picks are

Stacey Lewis -6

Jessica Korda -5

Natalie Gulbis-4

My Tools of Ignorance:

There's no contest for this week's Open, but I'll submit choices just the same, for bragging rights I guess. Michelle Wie, -4 Ai Miyazato, -4 Cheyenne Woods -3

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Duffner's the only one with the 'quid', which of course is the gob of tobacco he sucks on. And hey, is there no contest or prize for the ladies' US Open?  How about a 4 hybrid or 7 wood? My picks Ko at minus 6 Wie at minus 5 Inbee Park at minus 4

You win a sleeve of used pink precepts...

• Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I'm picking team USA - winner at -3

Pressel

Creamer

Gulbis

I almost picked team

Jang

Kang

Yang

adding to the prize sock & golf gloves in matching pink, green & baby blue

Players play, tough players win!

I think the winner is the little Lucy Li-  For 11 the girl has been amazing and more impressive has been the way she has handled herself and her outlook on golf.... I think we could all learn something.  Super impressive- very smart, well mannered, and humble...  I'm a fan...  Our goal should always be to have fun

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Note: This thread is 3597 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!