IGNORED

What distracts you the most while playing golf?

jakepalm
Note: This thread is 3609 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This thread is for the purpose to tell us all about the things that just bug you or distract you while playing golf.

We are whiners, it is just in our nature.

Golfers are whiners.

thank goodness we FINALLY have a thread about "what bugs me" - It's about time.

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play music almost every round with my buds. I think the ship has sailed on this one. Went into the PGA Store the other day and right when you walk in, there's a huge display of Bluetooth speakers specifically designed for golf carts. It's becoming pretty popular.

Agreed, I don't but when I pair up with a good friend of mine he always has the music playing at a reasonable level. It's actually pretty enjoyable especially when we have to wait for a group to get finished ahead of us.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Nothing really. I'm out with friends - so were gonna talk, laugh and give each other shit.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Only thing that really bugs me is when the course maintenance crews are out mowing and circling out in the fairway while I'm trying to tee off.  They will usually go about their job oblivious to the fact that members are playing on the course and they are at risk of getting hit with a ball.  When they finally notice someone standing at the tee box, they just move over to the edge of the first cut thinking that it's a safe spot to wait.

When that happens I'm usually so concerned with hitting them I will try to aim away from them which usually results in a horrible tee shot to the other side of the fairway in nasty rough and trees.

Joe Paradiso

Agreed, I don't but when I pair up with a good friend of mine he always has the music playing at a reasonable level. It's actually pretty enjoyable especially when we have to wait for a group to get finished ahead of us.

2 things here. Not sure how having music playing is any better than having someone talking while you are swinging the club. Talking is generally considered not acceptable so why is having music playing acceptable? Also, having music playing at a reasonable volume such as just loud enough to hear while in the cart is different than what I've been experiencing where you can hear it pretty far away. I mean, I can hear the music a fairway away or while approaching the tee over the noise of my cart 20+ yards away.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Personally, I think most golfers would be better off if they toughened up a little and learned to tune out noises and other outside distractions.   It's not brain surgery.  The one thing that bothers me is if our group is out of position and feel that we're holding up players behind us.  I hate that, and will do everything I can to get my group back into position.

10000000000% this! Every last word on both points. You could be giving a speech during my swing and I wouldn't even notice, and please keep pace.

Another thing that bothers me are belligerent drinkers on the course. Nothing reeks of classlessness more than that IMO

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Standing over a putt with someone walking within my peripheral vision bugs me.

Usually they're retrieving the flagstick or their club laying on the green.

I back off the ball and start over.

Also, strangely, if a bug lands on my ball in mid swing it messes me all up. No idea why.

This happens to me all the time!  I think, "KILL THE BUG!"  That helps.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I don't like people that don't know the common rules of golf. For example, my dad stands in people's lines to putt, marks and picks his ball up more than once on the greens, talks when people line up to putt, putts before his "turn", uses the "foot wedge" a lot and doesn't count a stroke, only counts 1 stroke when he looses a ball, etc. These things don't bother me too bad, because he is just a newbie, but he needs to learn. I guess I assumed he knew all of that because he watches the Golf Channel so much, but next time I will have to educate him. It just bothers me that I go out and play the game by the book and shoot a 90-95 and he 'shoots just a few strokes behind me' with 0 GIR 5-6 3 putts per round, and a couple balls off the box each time (he chooses to play the best one). If I counted his score for real, he would probably be north of 130's. I just write whatever score he tells me down because I don't want him to see a 130 and get discouraged and quit playing.

Dylan

Twitter: @d_brock504

The cart girl ... :-D
  • Upvote 1

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

We all have our own pet peeves when it comes to playing golf, mine being when my playing partners constantly adjust the Velcro on their gloves while I am lining up my shot. This thread is for the purpose to tell us all about the things that just bug you or distract you while playing golf.

Not much bothers me except playing with someone who takes too long in their preshot routine.  When I play with someone like that, I have to look somewhere else while they play, or I'll end up yelling "Just hit the #%$&ing; ball!!"  It's especially hard when they address the ball quickly, then freeze over the ball for 30 seconds like they paused the video.  It makes want to tear my hair out.  I try to plan my routine so that I have something else to do while they hit so I don't have to think about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

People who think it's cool to have music playing in their cart. I mean, this is a golf course not a cook out, we don't need to have music blaring out here.

I play music almost every round with my buds. I think the ship has sailed on this one. Went into the PGA Store the other day and right when you walk in, there's a huge display of Bluetooth speakers specifically designed for golf carts. It's becoming pretty popular.

That doesn't make it appropriate on the course if it's loud enough that anyone else can hear it.  I've never played with anyone who did have music playing, but I know  that it would bother me.  The odds of us both having the same taste (or lack thereof) is remote.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Not much bothers me except playing with someone who takes too long in their preshot routine.  When I play with someone like that, I have to look somewhere else while they play, or I'll end up yelling "Just hit the #%$&ing; ball!!"  It's especially hard when they address the ball quickly, then freeze over the ball for 30 seconds like they paused the video.  It makes want to tear my hair out.  I try to plan my routine so that I have something else to do while they hit so I don't have to think about it.

Haha, I do this. I am going through a checklist in my head. But I don't take practice swings at all so it takes no more time than you taking 3 practice swings. Then duffing the ball and doing 3 more practice swings. I was getting a lesson once with a pro I had a couple lessons with before. I guess he had enough at one point after about 5 balls and said "dude, are you going to swing or not" lol. True story.

I can only imagine if I finally get a My Swing thread up on here in slow motion how long that pause will look on it.

James

+1

The voices in my head.

QFT, that and a penalty stroke.  Other than that, nothing really.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I always mess up when mid-swing, a fly or another bug decides to sit somewhere on my body and I either see it or feel it.

Besides that, sudden noise when hitting the ball is probably the only other thing.

Bettinardi Golf Kuchar #2 Cobra Bio Cell+ Callaway Razr Hawk 3W TaylorMade SLDR 19H Mizuno JPX 825-Pro 4-AW Scor 55 & 60 (Wedges)

People who think it's cool to have music playing in their cart. I mean, this is a golf course not a cook out, we don't need to have music blaring out here.

Hahaha, I was JUST going to post this.  The thing that annoys the hell out of me is it's never loud enough to make out what the song is but it's just loud enough to be "noise".  The last round I played the people in the other cart were doing this, irritated me anytime I got near their cart.

Hahaha, I was JUST going to post this.  The thing that annoys the hell out of me is it's never loud enough to make out what the song is but it's just loud enough to be "noise".  The last round I played the people in the other cart were doing this, irritated me anytime I got near their cart.

I agree that this could be annoying, but I honestly never ran into this situation yet.

I think it would be in extremely poor taste and bad etiquette to blare music on a course though. Never understood how some people are missing that little thing inside of us that says "Hey, maybe what you're doing, or what you're about to do, is not cool. Don't do it you selfish bastard!". I guess it's a birth defect, because it definitely can't be taught.

Note: This thread is 3609 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!