IGNORED

2014 Memorial Tournament Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't know why, but I've completely lost interest in watching non-major tournaments. I find them boring now; I would rather just play a round.

I'd go a step further ... I'd rather play than watch ANY tournament. Seriously ... Tiger could be attempting to complete next years grand slam and simultaneously tying jacks 18 major record and I still wouldn't take 2 seconds to say yes if somebody asked me to play that Saturday or Sunday. That said, I was home today and able to watch this tournament and thoroughly enjoyed it. That course is beautiful!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd go a step further ... I'd rather play than watch ANY tournament. Seriously ... Tiger could be attempting to complete next years grand slam and simultaneously tying jacks 18 major record and I still wouldn't take 2 seconds to say yes if somebody asked me to play that Saturday or Sunday. That said, I was home today and able to watch this tournament and thoroughly enjoyed it. That course is beautiful!

That kinda surprises me, especially since you can play year-round. I seldom play during major weekends, and certainly wouldn't if Tiger were in contention.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator

That kinda surprises me, especially since you can play year-round. I seldom play during major weekends, and certainly wouldn't if Tiger were in contention.

Yeah, that kind of history… it surprises me too.

I might only get one chance to see history (Tiger). I'll have lots of time to PLAY golf (none of which will make history).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't know why everyone so desperately wants the same person winning evey week again. I want to see whoever is hitting the ball best win.

For me, it's not so much that I want to see the same person winning every time; I want to feel as though the results reflect who really are the best players out there. This season has been highlighted by so many occasions where an assumed "elite player" has put himself into a position to win a tournament, only to throw it away late on Sunday and hand the victory to a random player who happened to be in the right place at the right time. It's like the main event at the World Series of Poker: the sharks are all going to finish deep in the money, but in 10,000-seat tournaments, the winner is most often an accountant who had a hot streak. The skilled get their paychecks, but the lucky win the grand prize.

That said, no complaints about this week. Matsuyama's a deserving young champion, and Na is having a great year coming back from injuries. Scott and Bubba faded down the stretch, but that happens in golf.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

That said, I was home today and able to watch this tournament and thoroughly enjoyed it. That course is beautiful!

DVR is a beautiful thing. ;-) I can't even remember the last time I passed up any activity that I like doing to watch something on TV...But it was definitely before I got my first VCR in the very early 80s.

Yeah but ... [quote name="iacas" url="/t/74861/2014-memorial-tournament-discussion-thread/90#post_998004"] Yeah, that kind of history… it surprises me too. I might only get one chance to see history (Tiger). I'll have lots of time to PLAY golf (none of which will make history). [/quote]but ... [quote name="MS256" url="/t/74861/2014-memorial-tournament-discussion-thread/90#post_998008"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

I'd go a step further ... I'd rather play than watch ANY tournament. Seriously ... Tiger could be attempting to complete next years grand slam and simultaneously tying jacks 18 major record and I still wouldn't take 2 seconds to say yes if somebody asked me to play that Saturday or Sunday.

That said, I was home today and able to watch this tournament and thoroughly enjoyed it. That course is beautiful!

DVR is a beautiful thing. ;-) I can't even remember the last time I passed up any activity that I like doing to watch something on TV...But it was definitely before I got my first VCR in the very early 80s.[/quote]Bingo! I can still watch it later that night, but golfing in the dark is a no go! :)

I might only get one chance to see history (Tiger). I'll have lots of time to PLAY golf (none of which will make history).

Don't sell yourself short, judge, you're a terrible slouch...

Colin P.

Yeah but ... but ... Bingo! I can still watch it later that night, but golfing in the dark is a no go! :)

I don't have a DVR. Still, how much golf do you need to play? ;-)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I don't have a DVR. Still, how much golf do you need to play?

As much as possible of course :-D

Yea, I pretty much just watch the majors then add in TPC Sawgrass. Besides that, if I happen to want to watch some golf, I might have it on the TV. Doesn't mean I am paying attention though.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Going by my crappy round Saturday morning obviously a lot more than I am playing. Since I work from 4:00 to 12:00 on Saturday and Sunday nights I would really hate to not have a DVR. Especially during football season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

I don't have a DVR. Still, how much golf do you need to play?

Going by my crappy round Saturday morning obviously a lot more than I am playing. Since I work from 4:00 to 12:00 on Saturday and Sunday nights I would really hate to not have a DVR. Especially during football season.

I can see how that would make one valuable. Sports I tend to watch live or not at all, everything else I watch online.

In my bag:

It's funny. The press goes ga ga for Ryo Ishikawa (spelling?) and seemingly out of nowhere (yes I know he's not exactly unknown), another player from Japan emerges. We've been seeing Matsuyama here and there but it just makes me believe more and more in parity in the future.

I would put the difference between Ishikawa and Matsuyama as Ryo turning professional at the age of 16, whereas Hideki waited until he had finished his university studies last year (which had the side effect of giving him extensive experience in international-level competition as an amateur). Matsuyama was better prepared to play professionally outside of Japan than Ishikawa was, and that's why the former is now ranked 13th in the world, and the latter 91st.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Curious, at least to me, is that on the Euro and USA tours this week, Asian men, Jaidee and Matsuyama, won both.  But on the LPGA, where the Asian ladies frequently dominate, the American woman, Stacy Lewis is the victor..

Will an Asian player win either upcoming US Open?  Or both!!

I actually enjoyed this tournament a lot. Especially because Bubba nor Kevin Na won :-O

Calm and cool won the tourny

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I actually enjoyed this tournament a lot. Especially because Bubba nor Kevin Na won

Calm and cool won the tourny

Speaking of calm and cool, the weather this week was absolutely gorgeous. There was one little shower Wednesday at the Pro-Am, but the rest of the week was sunny with low humidity and just enough breeze to keep it cool. I was joking with the guy in charge of evacuation on our hole that he better put on his radio when I saw one little puffy white cloud on the sky. I almost forgot I was in Ohio.

- Shane

Note: This thread is 3588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!