IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1356 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I shot my first double-digit round today. After blowing up on the first nine with doubles and triples galore, I played the last eight holes in four over par to finish with a 97, 54-43. Going out to play again tomorrow, and hopefully I can do better than today.

I shot my first double-digit round today. After blowing up on the first nine with doubles and triples galore, I played the last eight holes in four over par to finish with a 97, 54-43. Going out to play again tomorrow, and hopefully I can do better than today.

Welcome and congrats ... A 97 feels great the first time.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome and congrats ... A 97 feels great the first time.

Yes, and it could definitely have been better without such a bad front nine. During the back nine, I hit half-drivers down the fairway on every hole, taking a miniature swing and making sure I got the club on the ball. That was the #1 thing that helped me score well, I think.

Played in my club tourney today.  We were supposed to play 18 Saturday and 18 today but because of heavy rain Saturday we played 36 today.  I shot two rounds of 101 and ended up finishing 2nd low net with a -10 over the two rounds.  The guy that beat me shot a -16 net...and I thought I was sand bagging. ;-)

My scores are starting to settle around the low 100s, I need to figure out what I need to do break that 100 barrier!

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running out of time to meet my season goal of breaking 100 at my home course.

Had a great front nine in crappy weather and shot a 45 on Monday morning, but went into a serious double, triple, double funk that ended up with a less than impressive 56 on the back.  It's like all the good things I was doing at the beginning just went south.  I did not add up my score after the front, but it was pretty obvious after seeing all the sixes and sevens on the back that I wasn't going to get it done.

Corey

I'm running out of time to meet my season goal of breaking 100 at my home course.  Had a great front nine in crappy weather and shot a 45 on Monday morning, but went into a serious double, triple, double funk that ended up with a less than impressive 56 on the back.  It's like all the good things I was doing at the beginning just went south.  I did not add up my score after the front, but it was pretty obvious after seeing all the sixes and sevens on the back that I wasn't going to get it done.

Play short. I played 9 holes with a senior, today, who was deadly accurate with his 5 iron from 150 in. Every time i was inside 15 yards, he would hit in from 100 to 150 and nail the pin, well he was inside mine for the putt. He had a few pars more than me, and never struggled. His drives were only 160 yards, but right where he pointed. He did play from the white tees, one up from me about 10-60 yards closer.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Still hovering around 105. I am seeing improvements now, but not in the score. I am starting to get a good sense of how far my clubs carry, and am hitting more greens from far enough away to actually leave pitch marks (a sign of progress for me). My putting has fallen apart completely though, and went from being a strength to a weakness.  So I lose less balls, hit the green from farther away, but three putt more often than not now. Triple bogeyed a par three, for example.

You know what? I am going to head over to the course and practice my putting instead of commenting here this morning!

On a nearly two-week cycle, I've been breaking bad and then breaking back into bad. Lows of 89 and 87 and then last week, 104 and a WD (stopped scoring after hole six).

I have no idea what the difference is at this point, but it's been the pattern all year long.

• 4 weeks later...
I shot a 52-49 at my home course today. Had a sweet birdie on hole 11, but ran into penalty trouble on 12 and 14. So close, yet so far. I am definitely running out of time, though. Winter is coming.

Corey

• 3 weeks later...
I'm pleased to say this afternoon I managed to shoot a 96 on my home course. Success!!! It was fairly busy when we arrived, and fairly cold (4 degrees Celsius) and we started on the back. My driver stayed in the bag until the first par five on hole sixteen. I'm very pleased with the 47 I shot on the back, and even though my driving wasn't too good on the front and my chipping went south, I managed to pull out at 49 on the front.

Corey

• 1 month later...

I posted this in the "What'd You Shoot Today" thread but also wanted to post it here because it's the 3rd time in the last 6 rounds I've shot under 100m including back to back times out!  Two of those rounds took place on a weekend where I had gone 6 weeks without playing due to work.

It's 70 degrees here in Albany NY and I was happy to get out for what is likely the last time this year but I feel as though I'm turning a corner in my decision making and am looking forward to next spring where shooting in the 90's will be the norm rather than an anomaly.

So today I shot a 94 with 7 FIR, 6 GIR, 2 Putts/Hole, and 3 Penalty Strokes.

The course says that the CR/SR is 68/111 but it also says it plays 6031 yards (2845 yards on the front and 3186 on the back).  But when I shot it today and then went on Google Earth to confirm it (and put in the actual distances in the scorecard below), it came up as 4872 (2147 on the front and 2725 on the back).  A 1159 yard differences is pretty substantial, no?

Anyway, was happy to shoot 8 over par on the back which I think is only the third or fourth time I've shot less than double digits over par over the course of 9 holes.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I posted this in the "What'd You Shoot Today" thread but also wanted to post it here because it's the 3rd time in the last 6 rounds I've shot under 100m including back to back times out!  Two of those rounds took place on a weekend where I had gone 6 weeks without playing due to work.

It's 70 degrees here in Albany NY and I was happy to get out for what is likely the last time this year but I feel as though I'm turning a corner in my decision making and am looking forward to next spring where shooting in the 90's will be the norm rather than an anomaly.

So today I shot a 94 with 7 FIR, 6 GIR, 2 Putts/Hole, and 3 Penalty Strokes.

The course says that the CR/SR is 68/111 but it also says it plays 6031 yards (2845 yards on the front and 3186 on the back).  But when I shot it today and then went on Google Earth to confirm it (and put in the actual distances in the scorecard below), it came up as 4872 (2147 on the front and 2725 on the back).  A 1159 yard differences is pretty substantial, no?

Anyway, was happy to shoot 8 over par on the back which I think is only the third or fourth time I've shot less than double digits over par over the course of 9 holes.

If I add up all the yardages of the scorecard, I come up with 4781 yards which would have a course rating of 4781/220+40.9= 62.6 CR. Slope rating is 4781/160+50.7=81 reference from here .

Looking at all your par 4 yardages, it "feels" about right.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

If I add up all the yardages of the scorecard, I come up with 4781 yards which would have a course rating of 4781/220+40.9= 62.6 CR. Slope rating is 4781/160+50.7=81 reference from here.

Looking at all your par 4 yardages, it "feels" about right.

It feels like what, that the CR/SR shouldn't be 68/111 and that it should be 62.6/81?

Christian

It feels like what, that the CR/SR shouldn't be 68/111 and that it should be 62.6/81?

Based upon the hole yardages you posted I think it feels more like the latter. Unless, you played different tees than those posted?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Based upon the hole yardages you posted I think it feels more like the latter. Unless, you played different tees than those posted?

Well, I inputted the yardage based on my app, rangefinder, and Google Earth. I had a played the course before and noticed that for the most part the posted yardage on the hole wasn't accurate so I decided to find the actual yardage today. There are only two sets of tees, Men's and Women's. Considering the gross disparity between what is posted as the CR/Slope and what the presumed actual should be, how can one go about getting it rectified?

Christian

Well, I inputted the yardage based on my app, rangefinder, and Google Earth. I had a played the course before and noticed that for the most part the posted yardage on the hole wasn't accurate so I decided to find the actual yardage today. There are only two sets of tees, Men's and Women's.

Considering the gross disparity between what is posted as the CR/Slope and what the presumed actual should be, how can one go about getting it rectified?

What is the course name? You could look it up at USGA .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

What is the course name? You could look it up at [URL=https://ncrdb.usga.org/NCRDB/]USGA[/URL].

It's called Evergreen Public Course (Par 70) and is in Castleton, NY

Christian

This thread gives me the warm and fuzzies. Over the summer I had the 37 going on the back 9 on 17 and shot a 10 on 18 to make it 47. I had a 53 on the front 9. That would have been the first round of the year I'd have broken 100, but no. It couldn't happen. I had to hit a tree with my drive, then pushed my second shot across the fairway into the lateral water hazard, then hitting four, I grounded my shot to about 100 yds, and hit a fat wedge shot into the water hazard, got on the green with my next shot and three putted. Previous and following wk I parred this hole to reach the 100 mark.

I was on the 43 to 45 + 59 program for a long time. Still struggle with the 48 + 48 program.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 1356 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!