IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1349 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@Judah Ben-Hur great job breaking 100 2 days in a row!

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was all set to go out earlier today an do another 18 either walking or taking the cart for a spin.  I got home from therapy and felt like I just hiked the Appalachian Trail.  I laid down for just a bit and it turned into a 4 1/2 hour zonk out period.  I'm whipped right now and it might turn into just pitching, chipping, and putting on the practice green.  Now I know the life of a professional golfer after putting them jaw dropping scores back to back. :-O;-):-$

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

To this day I have not broken 100 yet.  I am in the middle of revamping my swing. Yesterday was the first time out since I have worked on it and I shot a 113. Its not near 100 but the back 9 gave me hope.  I shot a 63/50 with a lot of penalty shots for out of bounds. The front 9 i was rushing and over swinging. The back 9 i slowed down and had 3 par's.  I also was laying up and not going for the green. I had 2 par 5's that I was with in 75 yards of the green in 2 and then my short game killed me.  I ended the day with one of the par's and it gave me some confidence.  My next round is a week from today. I hope to get to the range again and I plan on trying to get 1 lesson in this summer too..

Been doing this as well. Thanks for this-don't lose to many (excluding water) but may save a stroke or two over a couple of rounds

I thought this too. However whenever you lose a ball, it is hard to go back to the spot you hit from if there's a group behind you.

What's In My Bag...
Driver: Callaway Razr X Black 10.5*
FW / Hybrid: Nike T40 4W 17* / Nike CPR 24*
Irons: Callaway Razr X HL 5I-SW
Putter: Nike Method Core Putter
Balls: Nike PD Soft

Well my round started really well, but went downhill from there. Really having trouble golfing at this course with the amount of mosquitos through holes 3 through 6. Just annoying bites and greasy hands from all the repellant you have to use. (Had one club fly out of my hands today......) Blew up on holes 8 and 9 too.

Overall, I gotta fix my hooking tee shots and pulled irons. Getting good distance, but too many penalty shots from unfindable driver shots, and too many missed approaches to the left.

I shot 100 last week, I guess that doesn't count as breaking it, but it was so close. Even after a 4 putt on the first hole, I have never seen such fast greens I would barely tap it and it would sail 5ft past the hole, lesson learned to at least putt a few balls on the practice green before starting a round. I score par on 8,9 and 10 things were really going well. On the par 5 18th all I needed was a double to get 99, so I decided to lay up with my 5 wood off the tee to keep the ball short of the water hazards 220yds away, and I absolutely crushed it right into the hazard, I've never hit the 5 wood that far, ugh, I even pushed it right and it still made it. Take a drop and topped my next shot jus over the hazard but not much farther. Approach shot over the back, triple bogey.... 100 oh well... Next time!

Driver: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  15* 
S-Flex
Hybrids: Nike Vapor Speed 3-5 Steel Stiff
Irons: Nike Vapor Speed 6-Pw Steel Stiff
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Satin Black; 52, 56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Works 2-Ball
Grips: Good Grip Tour Wrap Medium 
Ball: ProV1

It sounds like you are about to step into the other side. Try not to be counting what you need on the last few holes. If I do that, I tense up and start topping them. Our last hole has a small creek to go over on the second shot for the short hitters. I'm sure to be in it if I know I need a par or bogey.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:

Played 9 holes 7 times this year on 7 different courses and my best was a 47 and worst 53. Played 18 holes on a new course for the first time today. Front 9 47 back 9 53. At least I'm consistent. :-)
  1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

It sounds like you are about to step into the other side. Try not to be counting what you need on the last few holes. If I do that, I tense up and start topping them. Our last hole has a small creek to go over on the second shot for the short hitters. I'm sure to be in it if I know I need a par or bogey.

I try to pay as little attention as possible to the scorecard.  I have a couple friends who are notorious "scorecard peepers" and I've told them that I don't want to hear anything about my score until we add it up after we're done.  Nothing messes with your head like being told "You just need to par the next two holes to break ".

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

I shot a 45 yesterday.  I haven't managed to get a whole 18 played in for 3 weeks because of rain.  I had just 2 bad holes yesterday, one a Par 5 where I hit my approach shot a little thin and it flew over the green and kicked off a hill out of bounds.  My rehit went into the sand and I had an 8.  The other was a Par 3 that I played twice (we started shotgun on hole 8), both times I hit it fat into the water and ended up with 6's . Everything else was 4 pars and 3 bogies.

I just told my regular Saturday 18 hole league I can't play this weekend because I am going to play in an outing for work so I won't have an 18 hole score this weekend either.  Maybe when I finally get one in I will go straight to breaking 90 :dance: .  I need to get 18 in soon to see what it looks like because the last one I have on record is a 119 when I was extremely hung over.

I've also put my drive away for the time being and it has really helped my scores.  I can hit my 3 wood 230-250 so it sets me up well enough and doesn't get me in nearly as much trouble

- David -

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo

Woods: 3W - Callaway X2 Hot

Hybrid: 4 Walter Hagan

Irons: Callaway X-Hot 4 - AW 

Wedge: 52* - Cleveland CG15 Zip Black, 60* - Generic 

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #3

109 today really not good for me given my progress over the past few weeks. I had two major issues, sometimes the ball will just pop out completely right, not a slight push, but a huge 80 degrees right of my stance. I'm not sure how to correct it, because I don't know what causes it. It's not a shank the ball flies into the air like you would expect, and it happened on a hybrid as well which doesn't have a hozel to hit. I suppose the face could be opening but that would be a really big open face. This routinely not only made me lose a shot but put the ball in an even worse lie or even in a hazard that was in no way a threat. I also cannot get my approach shots to stay on the green, even if I hit the very front with anything more than a wedge it will bounce and roll off the back, I made some great 160yd 7 iron approach shots today and they just rolled right off. I use really cheap balls, Wilson's I get on amazon for $9 for 18, if I shoot for before the green the ball will stck there and won't bounce up, so I was hitting long lag putts and chips on every hole today. I also ran into a traffic jam on 14 and each of the last 4 holes was a 15 minute wait and I started to tighten up.

S-Flex

Thought I had a bad round.  Looked at my Game Golf score and was pleasantly surprised.  Then I went home and fixed it up: added a missed penalty and a shot.  So yeah, bad round.  Can't complain, though, I haven't been practicing at all and I really need to practice my short-game, especially putting.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

I was on my way to breaking 100 yesterday.  Had a 47 after 9, made a 6 on #10, a 7 on #11.  Ended with a 53 on back 9...shot even 100.  I know I can do it, so maybe next week....It was very hot and humid in SE Louisiana and I think I got a little weary.

Shot another 100 today, so close, this time I didn't check the score until I was done. Four putted the first hole again, putting was just bad all around today. Scores 49/51

S-Flex

I shot a 102 today but was pretty happy under the circumstances. This season has been a disaster. With the exception of a personal best in May, my scoring has been worse than last year. I brought a swing change to the course for the first time this morning so I didn't know what to expect.

The swing change worked pretty well with the irons, not so well with the driver and woods.

What I was pleased with today was the ability to keep a poor tee shot from becoming a blowup hole and that happened a bit more. The best example of this was a par 4 where my first tee shot went OOB. My provisional (3rd) didn't clear the maple tree I was trying to hit over and was forced to punch out on my 4th. But my 5th was an eight iron that landed <4ft from the flag where I one-putted for double-bogey.

I know it's kind of pathetic when a double is something to be happy with, but I'm going to get penalties and make bad shots - no way around that for a while. I think that stopping the bleeding on those holes goes a long way towards keeping the scoring down and something that hasn't happened much lately.

Jon

Shot another 100 today, so close, this time I didn't check the score until I was done. Four putted the first hole again, putting was just bad all around today. Scores 49/51

You 4 putted and still came out with a 49.  It's just a matter of time.

I shot a 102 today but was pretty happy under the circumstances. This season has been a disaster. With the exception of a personal best in May, my scoring has been worse than last year. I brought a swing change to the course for the first time this morning so I didn't know what to expect.

The swing change worked pretty well with the irons, not so well with the driver and woods.

What I was pleased with today was the ability to keep a poor tee shot from becoming a blowup hole and that happened a bit more. The best example of this was a par 4 where my first tee shot went OOB. My provisional (3rd) didn't clear the maple tree I was trying to hit over and was forced to punch out on my 4th. But my 5th was an eight iron that landed <4ft from the flag where I one-putted for double-bogey.

I know it's kind of pathetic when a double is something to be happy with, but I'm going to get penalties and make bad shots - no way around that for a while. I think that stopping the bleeding on those holes goes a long way towards keeping the scoring down and something that hasn't happened much lately.

I have always looked for the positive the last few times I've played.  Like you, I'm happy to scramble for a bogey or double.  If I hit a bad shot off the tee that has me sitting behind big trees then I'm not afraid to punch it out and go from there.  If I think I've got a good line then I might go over them.  I've backed off lately trying to go through them.  Shoot for bogey and be rewarded at the end of the round.  That means I haven't given up on the hole and hopefully someday we will be able to take some strokes off the board.

Managed a 97 today (51+46)

Damn blow up holes

Congrats!

Irons & Wedges:

Note: This thread is 1349 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!