IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1345 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, amishboy51 said:

Where in Northern MI are you? I visited Traverse City and Mackinaw Island a few months back.

I work in Traverse City and live about 35 mins south in a town called Mesick - perhaps best known as the self-proclaimed "Morel Mushroom Capital of the World". Lol.

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, amishboy51 said:

No worse, I suppose, than Gilroy, CA, the garlic capital of the US. ;-)

All kidding aside, I thought Traverse City was pretty nice; really enjoyed the “cherry store” (can’t remember the name).

Were you visiting during the Cherry Festival in July?

Traverse City is ok if you like a lot culture, night clubs, dining, shopping, etc. I'm not particularly fond of living in the city, so it isn't my cup of tea. 

The important thing is that there are some really nice golf courses in the TC area.

Jon

No, I wasn’t there for the festival; just visiting family in Grand Rapids, who took us to TC for a few hours, which included checking out the Cherry Republic store.

Didn’t get to play any golf, but I’d heard from my brother (who Was there for several days) that there were some really good courses.

This might not be the right forum for the question, but I’ll start here and see if anyone can answer. What do all the references to “A1,” “A2,” and other positions mean?

I tried doing a “search,” but found nothing. Is there a thread or sticky with an explanation?

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, amishboy51 said:

This might not be the right forum for the question, but I’ll start here and see if anyone can answer. What do all the references to “A1,” “A2,” and other positions mean?

I tried doing a “search,” but found nothing. Is there a thread or sticky with an explanation?

a) hover over them and they tell you the position

b) https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/53724-the-ps-positions-or-as-alignments-in-the-golf-swing/

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

So I played a tough course (CR 71 on a par 71), that is mostly lined with trees and water for the whole 18. Didn't break 100 but posted a 101. I have played several 9 hole rounds with scores from 45-49 though. As on these 18 I shot 49 out and 52 in.  And that was me basically spending my whole summer working on my whole swing. Pretty much 0 putting and short game. The hinge and hold worked well enough for me as the terrain was really wet and even a slight mishit with a pitching motion would dig a deep carpet from the turf instead of gliding over. Putting was decent but with a bit more practice I could've shaved 5 putts of it, 3 of them with practice, 2 of them with concentration (for example on a par 3 I was near the green, chipped to 4 feet and as I was standing over my putt my partners started to talk how one shot 3 when he shot 4, so I basically corrected him mid stroke instead of stepping back and my putt lipped out). 

This must be the place! I came back to golf this year after nearly 25 years without playing. I was plus 100 before and I still am. The difference now is I am more patient with myself and I am just trying to enjoy playing. So my goal is to get to where I consistently shoot in the 90s, or better.

1 hour ago, tehuti said:

This must be the place! I came back to golf this year after nearly 25 years without playing. I was plus 100 before and I still am. The difference now is I am more patient with myself and I am just trying to enjoy playing. So my goal is to get to where I consistently shoot in the 90s, or better.

Welcome aboard @tehuti!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I walked 36 holes on Wednesday - which I believe is a first. Playing this course twice cost me a grand total of $21. There were only a couple other golfers out there but they bailed after 9. I love the off season!

I wish I could enjoy golf as I did that day. My ball striking was horrid (more than usual), it was rainy and windy, and my brand new umbrella even fell apart on it's maiden journey.

You'd think I'd have been cussing up a storm... ok, there was a little cussing - but this is what I want most from my game, to just not care.

Every time I had that strong wind at my back, I'd hit a worm burner off the tee. When facing it, I'd hit a high slice that only went sideways. The course was ridiculously easy with sparse trees between the fairways, yet I seemed to always be behind one. Putting was poor on the really slow greens. Somehow I managed a 97 and a 101. 

It would have been good day to work on my full swing mechanics, but instead I decided to just play golf. It won't be like this the next time out, I'm sure. But for one day, I got what I wanted out of this game. :-)

Jon

58 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

The course was ridiculously easy with sparse trees between the fairways, yet I seemed to always be behind one.

I know right? What's up with all the trees on golf courses. If I wanted trees I can go to the forest.

Seriously though sounds fun. Was this a full size course and how long did it all take? $21 is fantastic.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

1 hour ago, JonMA1 said:

Somehow I managed a 97 and a 101. 

Sorry dude- those 36 holes average 99. You now hafta post in the breaking 90 thread :-P

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

7 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

Was this a full size course and how long did it all take? $21 is fantastic.

The course is 5908 yds and it took me around 5 hrs to go through twice.

It was the first time I'd played the course - super easy with a very low rating and slope.

7 hours ago, RandallT said:

Sorry dude- those 36 holes average 99. You now hafta post in the breaking 90 thread :-P

Ha ha. That's the kind of thinking that'll bring my demons back out.

Seriously, the feeling you have when you've shot your personal best score... that was how good it felt Wednesday to not be consumed with trying to play better golf than I'm capable of. I'd love to have that frame of mind every time I go out.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2017 at 6:41 PM, krupa said:

Looks like I'm the only one north of 100 these days. :cry:

Played 9 tonight and kept score on paper (i.e., not doinking around with Game Golf*).  DIdn't score great:  54 but had some good results with my driver.  Had a GIR with a 4 foot birdie putt... three putts later and I'm walking to the next hole.

* I really like Game Golf but I've lost about half the tags and don't want to manually tag clubs while I'm playing.

Nope, you're not alone, trust me. I've never come close to breaking 100, so you still have some company, for at least a good while, if anything! 

I am going out on Saturday, and will try and keep an exact score this time to gauge where I'm at. If I had to guess right off the top of my head, I'd say 120ish. Most of the time it's very laid back and score isn't exactly top priorities when we're out there, moreso just enjoying the peace and quiet and beauty of the course in the mornings. 

On 7/4/2017 at 6:40 PM, MarvChamp said:

Do you guys/gals recall Golf Digest's series called "Breaking 100/80/90"? I picked up the book they published a few years ago. Lots of great "little" tips. One for breaking 100 is to leave the driver home, hit an iron of the tee and for second shots down to or within the 100 yard marker...Whatever distance that will get you safely home.  The idea is to stay in the fairway, get on par 4's in 3 and par 5's in 4; then two-putt.

My problem with that, is that I can hit the driver decently off the tee, but I suck at hitting irons off the tee, and also in the fairway for that matter, ha. :-)

2 hours ago, pmack18 said:

Nope, you're not alone, trust me. I've never come close to breaking 100, so you still have some company, for at least a good while, if anything! 

I am going out on Saturday, and will try and keep an exact score this time to gauge where I'm at. If I had to guess right off the top of my head, I'd say 120ish. Most of the time it's very laid back and score isn't exactly top priorities when we're out there, moreso just enjoying the peace and quiet and beauty of the course in the mornings. 

My problem with that, is that I can hit the driver decently off the tee, but I suck at hitting irons off the tee, and also in the fairway for that matter, ha. :-)

Yeah, I hit the driver pretty well. I have in fact broken 100 and 90 a few times over the last year-and-a-half. but it's just not consistent. Right now, I have had a carpal tunnel syndrome attack for the last 30 days and I'm waiting to get some surgery that will knock it out. Of course it will knock out golf as well for a while. I wish you the best in continuing to try. It's important, I think, to remember that you are probably a better  than you think.- Marv

• Like 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

• 1 month later...

101 from only 5600 yards... very indicative of my crappy game this year.

The full swing iron stuff I've been working on for the last couple weeks didn't show up on the course. I only hit 3 GIR and even had a couple penalties with my irons. There were some ok shots, but far too many weak slices and topped shots that really hurt my round. 

I had 35 putts (better than average for me), kept the driver in play for the most part, and chipping wasn't bad. At least my practice wasn't a complete bust. I also hit a couple decent trouble shots.

I felt like my swing path, club face and low point were ok on the driver but I couldn't get much in the way of distance, probably too many off-center (club face) shots combined with a lack of any roll on the soggy fairways.

Jon

Note: This thread is 1345 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!