IGNORED

Food Thread

mvmac

7 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I have Wustoff knives but got tired of crappy sharpeners. So I got this one.

KO-Hero.jpg

The Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition Knife and Tool Sharpener expands on the...

I can sharpen tools with it too and things like lawnmower blades. Works really well and I found it easier to use than the drag through kind. I also have diamond stones, but getting the angle right was a challenge.

I have this as well. It’s fantastic.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I have Wustoff knives but got tired of crappy sharpeners. So I got this one.

KO-Hero.jpg

The Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition Knife and Tool Sharpener expands on the best-selling Original Knife and Tool Sharpener with more power, more flexibility, and more control as specified...

I can sharpen tools with it too and things like lawnmower blades. Works really well and I found it easier to use than the drag through kind. I also have diamond stones, but getting the angle right was a challenge.

I WANT!!! ;)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

3 hours ago, saevel25 said:

The best economical knife is Victorinox. Its only $50, but the thing stays sharp for a good time, and it can easily be sharpened. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008M5U1C2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=chowhound_articles-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B008M5U1C2&linkId=e3d9d35d931d830908303d3d4f8a88d0

I’m a professional chef and at work I use  Victorinox knives exclusively. In terms of bang for you buck they can’t be beat. I still have a Henkel that I bought 25 years ago. It was amazing for about 5 years and still ok for another 5. It was  about 200 bucks back then. My Victorinox chefs knife is great for 2 years and still ok for 2 more. Then I give them to my junior chefs.  They cost me about 50 bucks. They have a hard day at work and in a domestic setting will still be good after 15 years no problem.

At home we have some Wusthoffs. They are lovely

Stevie T

15 minutes ago, Beastie said:

I’m a professional chef and at work I use  Victorinox knives exclusively. In terms of bang for you buck they can’t be beat.

It’s the knife I use most of the time. I’ve had it for about 11 years now. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

So do I need some innate talent to use the Ken Onion sharpener? I know you guys are the type who can tie multiple knots, build your own boats and frame a house. I’m an idiot and not skilled in the use of hand tools. But if it’s easy enough and will keep my knives/scissors and Keizer blades sharp...I’m in.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I know it's culinary blasphemy but for tomatoes, other vegetables with a skin and certain fruits I use a paring knife with a serrated edge.  Works like a charm.

I do have a Wusthof paring knife but I only use that when Gordon Ramsey comes over for dinner...

Edited by Double Mocha Man

57 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

So do I need some innate talent to use the Ken Onion sharpener? I know you guys are the type who can tie multiple knots, build your own boats and frame a house. I’m an idiot and not skilled in the use of hand tools. But if it’s easy enough and will keep my knives/scissors and Keizer blades sharp...I’m in.

I found it very easy, much easier than using a stone. You basically lean it against a guard and draw it back towards you. They have different belts which are easy to change. If you can suture stitches, you can do this!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

They have different belts which are easy to change.

Changing the belts is the most complicated part of the process, if that could even be considered complicated.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator

I just got the Ken Onion thing here:

Cheaper than the site linked above. For $120 you can get the simple thing, this one comes with replacement strips.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

28 minutes ago, iacas said:

I just got the Ken Onion thing here:

Just pulled the trigger on buying one. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

My preference is the Edge Pro Apex

Extremely versatile, and no risk of damage to quality knives by grinding and potentially over heating blades.  The same result as if an expert used whetstones.

A bit more money, but I’ve had my Wusthof knives for over 30 years and they’re still going strong.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

For any one wanting a cheaper sharpening option, the Accusharp is decent and requires no skill level to use. 

Edited by Beastie

Stevie T

2 hours ago, Beastie said:

For any one wanting a cheaper sharpening option, the Accusharp is decent and requires no skill level to use. 

Sorry I don’t have the video but a thorough test of sharpeners was done on YouTube. The Accusharp failed overall. It did in fact sharpen the blade a bit but in the long term it slowly ruined the blade. It was deemed ‘ok’ if you’re just using throw away cheap knives.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Sorry I don’t have the video but a thorough test of sharpeners was done on YouTube. The Accusharp failed overall. It did in fact sharpen the blade a bit but in the long term it slowly ruined the blade. It was deemed ‘ok’ if you’re just using throw away cheap knives.

Fair enough. I  just use a sharpening steel. But the Accusharp do an ok job for light use. 

Stevie T

I hone my knives with every use. To sharpen them I use a whetstone. I’ve been sharpening with a whetstone for over 20 years now and I prefer it over an actual sharpener because it removes less steel from my knives.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

14 minutes ago, billchao said:

I hone my knives with every use. To sharpen them I use a whetstone. I’ve been sharpening with a whetstone for over 20 years now and I prefer it over an actual sharpener because it removes less steel from my knives.

Whoduh thought Bill uses a whetstone ....lol. I’m sure I’d do a number on my knife if I tried that.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Whoduh thought Bill uses a whetstone ....lol. I’m sure I’d do a number on my knife if I tried that.

I used to sharpen knives with a whetstone too. That’s how my dad did it. Hunting and fishing knives.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

25 minutes ago, iacas said:

I used to sharpen knives with a whetstone too. That’s how my dad did it. Hunting and fishing knives.

Again...not surprising. You guys are just good at that kind of stuff. If I can’t bend it, break it, or f*** it I’m outta luck.