IGNORED

I feel guilty

mars30
Note: This thread is 3547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Okay, Just finished my first round of tryouts for my highschool golf team and I am kind of perplexed. I tripled the first two holes and then was +3 for the next seven. I shot 45 on the front nine at our teams home course; tryouts were shortened due to a private event at the course in the afternoon. I am really struggling to remember what score I received on the 2nd hole (a par 3). I hit 6 iron left and it ended up rolling up against the roots of one of the trees near the green. I had to punch out with a wedge after my tee shot, and then proceeded to blade my third over the green. I chipped onto the fringe after the bladed shot and had two putts for a triple, I thought, until just recently when I came home and reviewed my round. I cannot decide whether I had two putts or three, failing to remember if I made the four footer for triple. After the hole I told my partner my score and he wrote it down, and both of us knew that I tripled it. I signed my scorecard after reviewing the scores at the end of the nine holes and gave it or my coach, but when I came home I worry that I have cheated. I don't worry about being accused of cheating by others, but this time I think that I have cheated because I cannot remember if I made or missed the four footer. What should I do so I can live with myself and don't keep thinking that I have cheated on the 2nd hole???

listen.. I really think if you want to clear your thoughts.. Just go to your coach and explain to him exactly how it is and what happened, just like you described it to us here.

What ever happens happens.. I am more inclined to believe that he would thank you for your honesty and move forward.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good point. I know for me, being a school teacher, I will remember the kids with character and moral fiber more than the brainiacs twenty years from now. You sound like a good kid and the coach would be lucky to have you on his team. Oh, and welcome to the SandTrap!!

Colin P.

Sorry. Not sure I am buying this.

Are you seriously saying that you can't remember every shot of a round you just played?

I know you were frazzled, but.......

Are you sure something else didn't happen to make you feel guilty? Just sayin', as they say.

On the other hand, signing an incorrect scorecard is not, by definition cheating.

You have to decide whether you signed an incorrect card or got away with something.

That is between you and your conscience. But, the fact that you said you feel guilty and think you may have cheated - not to mention saying you can't remember a putt -  lead me to assume you know the answer.,

Sorry if that come across as harsh.

I would tell your coach. He will think more of you than he would had you shot 36, believe me.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I believe once the day is over, you will not be able to make a score change the next day.

The only choice you have is to discuss the hole with the other golfers and hopefully determine if you entered

either the correct score. If you did not enter a correct score, then you should tell your coach of the error.

If there was no error, then use the experience as a learning lesson of life.

It is human nature to become confused when circumstances occur and a person has just messed up a situation.

I myself usually just stop for a moment, take a big breath and then replay the occurrence.

Some times I'll ask another player if they recall what occurred.

Chances are if you entered the incorrect score, you maybe disqualified for that round.

As mentioned above, speak with your coach.

Not knowing the given format of the tryout's, you still may be eligible for the other tryout's.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Okay, Just finished my first round of tryouts for my highschool golf team and I am kind of perplexed. I tripled the first two holes and then was +3 for the next seven. I shot 45 on the front nine at our teams home course; tryouts were shortened due to a private event at the course in the afternoon. I am really struggling to remember what score I received on the 2nd hole (a par 3). I hit 6 iron left and it ended up rolling up against the roots of one of the trees near the green. I had to punch out with a wedge after my tee shot, and then proceeded to blade my third over the green. I chipped onto the fringe after the bladed shot and had two putts for a triple, I thought, until just recently when I came home and reviewed my round. I cannot decide whether I had two putts or three, failing to remember if I made the four footer for triple. After the hole I told my partner my score and he wrote it down, and both of us knew that I tripled it . I signed my scorecard after reviewing the scores at the end of the nine holes and gave it or my coach, but when I came home I worry that I have cheated. I don't worry about being accused of cheating by others, but this time I think that I have cheated because I cannot remember if I made or missed the four footer. What should I do so I can live with myself and don't keep thinking that I have cheated on the 2nd hole???

Don't worry about it. At the time you both thought you tripled it. Don't beat yourself up over it.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Okay, Just finished my first round of tryouts for my highschool golf team and I am kind of perplexed. I tripled the first two holes and then was +3 for the next seven. I shot 45 on the front nine at our teams home course; tryouts were shortened due to a private event at the course in the afternoon. I am really struggling to remember what score I received on the 2nd hole (a par 3). I hit 6 iron left and it ended up rolling up against the roots of one of the trees near the green. I had to punch out with a wedge after my tee shot, and then proceeded to blade my third over the green. I chipped onto the fringe after the bladed shot and had two putts for a triple, I thought, until just recently when I came home and reviewed my round. I cannot decide whether I had two putts or three, failing to remember if I made the four footer for triple. After the hole I told my partner my score and he wrote it down, and both of us knew that I tripled it. I signed my scorecard after reviewing the scores at the end of the nine holes and gave it or my coach, but when I came home I worry that I have cheated. I don't worry about being accused of cheating by others, but this time I think that I have cheated because I cannot remember if I made or missed the four footer. What should I do so I can live with myself and don't keep thinking that I have cheated on the 2nd hole???

Welcome to the forum @mars30 .  Talk with the coach and the other player.  Tell them that you honestly can't recall the exact strokes.  Your playing partner was your marker and agreed with your stroke count for the hole.  Because it was a bad hole, emotions can play a factor in your memory.  You were obviously flustered at the time.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Sorry. Not sure I am buying this.

Are you seriously saying that you can't remember every shot of a round you just played?

I know you were frazzled, but.......

Are you sure something else didn't happen to make you feel guilty? Just sayin', as they say.

On the other hand, signing an incorrect scorecard is not, by definition cheating.

You have to decide whether you signed an incorrect card or got away with something.

That is between you and your conscience. But, the fact that you said you feel guilty and think you may have cheated - not to mention saying you can't remember a putt -  lead me to assume you know the answer.,

Sorry if that come across as harsh.

I would tell your coach. He will think more of you than he would had you shot 36, believe me.

Agree with some of the 2nd half of your post but not necessarily the 1st half.  I consider myself pretty good at recalling my rounds and don't normally have trouble recalling all my full shots.  However, I have had a few days where I have left myself a number of 3-5 footers and made some and missed others, then not been able to recall exactly which ones I had made and missed.

Sometimes people's minds can play tricks on themselves and studies have shown that eye witness testimony is not always reliable.

To the OP- I like the advice in the 2nd post (and similar recommendations).  Good Luck!

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

I remember my rounds shot by shot in detail. So much I can input stats the next day without looking at my card. It is a curse as much as anything. A single minute does't pass where my brain isn't telling me exactly where I stand relative to par.

Dave :-)

I remember my rounds shot by shot in detail. So much I can input stats the next day without looking at my card. It is a curse as much as anything. A single minute does't pass where my brain isn't telling me exactly where I stand relative to par.

I'm the same way. In the rare occasions where I don't know my score (usually when helping with the junior golf program at my course) I usually end up playing so much better though. That said, talking to your coach would be a good idea if you are contending for varsity. Just tell him that, while both your marker and you agreed on the score, you weren't certain if the score was correct. You can talk him through the hole, with your marker present if possible, and see what he says. At least at my school, the tryouts are casual enough (the coach has already told me how he plans to order the team based on the city tournament the week before tryouts) and the coach is understanding enough that it wouldn't be a big deal, he'd just have you play the second day of tryouts and see how you sort out.

I can absolutely not remember every shot from my last round. Long shots, sure, but chips and especially putts? No way. At least not when we're going into the 3/4 putt area.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Sorry. Not sure I am buying this. Are you seriously saying that you can't remember every shot of a round you just played? I know you were frazzled, but....... Are you sure something else didn't happen to make you feel guilty? Just sayin', as they say. On the other hand, signing an incorrect scorecard is not, by definition cheating. You have to decide whether you signed an incorrect card or got away with something. That is between you and your conscience. But, the fact that you said you feel guilty and think you may have cheated - not to mention saying you can't remember a putt -  lead me to assume you know the answer., Sorry if that come across as harsh. I would tell your coach. He will think more of you than he would had you shot 36, believe me.

Sorry this guy is always brash but I agree with him completely here. The only time I "can't remember" a shot or putt is if I am trying not to. Also I can't remember ever seeing anybody accidentally add a stroke to their score but I have seen plenty "forget" to count one. I bet if you think hard enough you can remember if on number 2 you hit a 4 foot putt or tapped in. Then do the right thing.

James

I can absolutely not remember every shot from my last round. Long shots, sure, but chips and especially putts? No way. At least not when we're going into the 3/4 putt area.

Yeah, when I get around in around 90 or less I remember them all, when I take 110+ I start to have a harder time keeping track. :loco:

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Hey, I can't remember the shots on the hole I just played. OK, I usually can, but yesterday I was playing a par five that I had never pared before, I was two feet from the hole on my first putt, and I just banged at the ball back handed to knock it in and missed on the second putt because I was playing with a friend and two strangers that were really good, then when I walked away, I realized that the putt I just whacked at was for par. I had just hit the best drive I had ever hit on that hole, I couldn't believe what the view was like of the hole, from my ball, on the center of the fairway, when I got there, and had hit a great three wood onto the the outer fringe, good chip to within about ten feet, then missed the putt for birdie, which I didn't even know was for birdie. I was just flustered by playing with guys who were outdriving me from the blues and consistently sticking long approach shots on the green.

I'm usually trying to forget my shots. :-)

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Note: This thread is 3547 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!