• Announcements

• iacas

Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mulligan Jeff

Rory McIlroy: How Many Majors By 2020

1. 1. How many major wins by 2020 (he already has 4)?

• 14+

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

28 posts in this topic

Two majors in a row, three straight wins! Rory has found a way to dig deep within to separate himself from the competition. He will achieve 6 more majors by 2020 for a total of 10 majors.

That's 6 wins in 20 starts. Maybe, but that'd be a helluva run. I'll meet you about halfway though and call it 4 more. That gives him 8 by age 30.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think his game is built for winning The Masters and the PGA championship. Even if he wins one a year. I think he can win two in a couple of the years. Especially if he catches the weather right, like good weather at Hoylake this year. I would say 6 is a good number. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets up near 8.

I said 8 too. We're in the euphoria of the moment. Who knows what life will throw his way, who will emerge as challengers other than the usual suspects, he could get hurt. The one thing I like is he's not planning to overhaul his swing if his interview answers are an indicator. And if things go badly, just break up with current gf a month before major. But if he quickly achieves his self challenge - best GOAT Euro, grand slam, 7 majors, will he become more or less motivated?

I'm gonna guess 7

I'm gonna guess 7

Me too, seems the most reasonable combination of ambition and caution in a guess. Hopefully one of those 3 is a Masters too. :)

Impossible to guess! I think he has the potential to do almost anything he wants. Impossible to guess what that is, though. Could he win 12 majors in 6 years? I don't think so. Maybe 8. But who knows? Maybe he can't sustain this current level of focus or maybe somebody even better will win them. Lydia Ko? I predict she'll get an invite to the masters , win her in her first appearance and then win the next 25 majors in a row. Failing that, though, things looking good for Rors.

Impossible to guess!

Guessing is never impossible

That's 6 wins in 20 starts. Maybe, but that'd be a helluva run. I'll meet you about halfway though and call it 4 more. That gives him 8 by age 30.

Same number I came up with. That's 4 more majors in 6 years. Which is a pretty good pace for someone with no 'star power.' :-D

I voted 10...but I wouldn't be surprised if he has 12, and wouldn't be overly surprised if he only has 5 or 6 by 2020. Golf is a crazy game. Seve had 4 majors by age 27 and at that time, most people would never have guessed that he'd only get one more...you just never know. In July 2008, if you told somoene that Tiger would never win another major, they would have laughed at you.

I've gone 7

Unlike quite a few commentators, I don't think we are about to enter a Rorytocracy. Dynastic domination isn't the British way (largely because we ain't normally good enough) but once our target's have been achieved we have a habit of coming off the gas and easing down (Steve Redgrave and Ben Ainsle apart). I think its more likely we'll enter a period of competition, which I'd prefer to see in fairness

I think he'll get his Masters. He's gone low at Augusta before

I think he'll get one of St Andrews next year, or Portrush in 2019

I think he'll get one other too (probably a second Masters or a USPGA as players can develop an affinity with a certain competition and who knows, perhaps the USPGA's is going to be Rory's)

If you look at his Masters from 2014 he recorded the following at the four par 5's

Round 1 = 1 under

Round 2 = 2 over (+1)

Round 3 = 2 under (-1)

Round 4 = 1 over (par)

16 holes then and a return of par. The longest is 575yds. It ain't too difficult to see where the improvement is going to come from.

Rory finished it on 288

Bubba won on 280

I'm going for three in the next five years

I picked 7. Winning majors is harder than Rory's made it look recently, and he'll have guys like Rickie and Spieth coming into their primes to deal with.

24 majors from 2015-2020...so 6 in 24 = avg 1/year. Would you say over or under that average?

I think 6 would be an interesting betline, I'm sure you can find this type of bet in the UK but I wonder what the odds are that they are giving.

Rory is the hottest thing on tour right now, Tiger was that for a stretch last year....just pointing out how quickly it can change. Rory will find another woman to become serious with in that timeframe, it will be interesting to see how his game reacts to that event, or having kids.

Still I'd take the 6 or more over taking fewer than 6.

24 majors from 2015-2020...so 6 in 24 = avg 1/year.

I think some of us ( @David in FL included) were assuming that when the OP said "BY" 2020, that he wasn't also including 2020.  A small distinction I realize, but one that could very well adjust everybody's totals one way or the other by, possibly, one major.

That's all. :)

I would have voted 14 on the nose just to be a shit disturber but sadly, it wasn't one of the options. I voted 10, six more, one per year.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0