IGNORED

The TST Member Tournament Play Thread

David in FL

My League Weekend tournament is this weekend, Friday - Sunday. It is at a course I've never played. We're staying just off the 18th fairway. Format is:

1. Friday  - Ryder Cup style match play. 3 points for a win against your opponent and 2 more if you team wins. I'm playing a close friend that knows the course well and I am giving him 7 strokes.
  2. Saturday - Stroke play. First, 5 points, second, 3, third 1, net vs. handicap.
  3. Team Play - Same points as Saturday. Not sure if it's Best ball or Four ball yet.

The real objective is to not get the least points trophy. My league is relatively small, 16 players, but a good group to play with. Should be fun.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

My League Weekend tournament is this weekend, Friday - Sunday. It is at a course I've never played. We're staying just off the 18th fairway. Format is:

1. Friday  - Ryder Cup style match play. 3 points for a win against your opponent and 2 more if you team wins. I'm playing a close friend that knows the course well and I am giving him 7 strokes.
  2. Saturday - Stroke play. First, 5 points, second, 3, third 1, net vs. handicap.
  3. Team Play - Same points as Saturday. Not sure if it's Best ball or Four ball yet.

The real objective is to not get the least points trophy. My league is relatively small, 16 players, but a good group to play with. Should be fun.

Looks like a fun format, only thing missing is an alternate shot round.  Play well!  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Just now, jsgolfer said:

Looks like a fun format, only thing missing is an alternate shot round.  Play well!  

Thanks!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Playing in a Pro-Am tournament next Thursday (practice round), Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  Its a stop on the Dakotas Tour which is our local professional tour called the Bobcat ND Open.  Its played at the Fargo Country Club in Fargo, ND.  I have played in it the last 2 years, but haven't played well really at all.  Best round I have had is a 77 the first round in 2014.  Swing changes, broken ribs and just crappy course management all lead to my demise in past years.  I feel really good going into this year though, have had some really solid rounds this year especially in the last few weeks.  Made up my own yardage book from Arccos app screen shots that I have been gameplanning on.  Going to test out the game plan in the practice round and make adjustments as needed.

Should be a fun one!

On 8/11/2016 at 0:08 PM, Zekez said:

My league playoffs start next week.  Top 16 (out of 26) make the playoffs.  We play match play.  I finished in 2nd place for the regular season (second year in a row) so I play the 15th seed.  Giving 8 strokes so only one hole will be even.  Going to be tough giving that many strokes, especially on the par 3 's.

Got rained out after 4 holes so we have to play again next Wednesday. My opponent of the 13 handicap was on fire and was leading me 2.5 -1.5 when we had to quit.  He definitely wasn't hitting like a 13 handicap!

Tomorrow is round 1 of my club championship. I am hoping I make a better showing this weekend than my US Mid Am qualifier We will be playing from the 7000 yd Championship tees, which is 200 yards longer than my qualifier, however I know every blade of grass on my course. There are 16 guys in the championship flight, so my goal is to finish top 10. Id love to win, but this year its probably not a realistic goal since 4-5 of the guys are + handicaps. Ill be sure to update. Only downside is I have the 2pm tee time tomorrow, which probably the 20-25th group off for the day, so the greens will be a little choppy near the cup with spike marks. They will roll them fast tomorrow and I know the rough is already deep and thick. 

• Upvote 1

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Here is my round 1 update from my club championship. 90. Sounds worse than it was. I shot 38 on the front with 3 bogies and a birdie, hitting 7/9 greens. Then on 10 blocked one right OB for an 8, then on 12 hit 3 balls OB off the tee for a 13. Other than those two holes, it wasn't a bad day. 38-52. Surprisingly, I'm not in last place. Next two rounds in the 70's and I might even finish top 10. 

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Kpaulhus/round/1124829

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Just finished Round 2 of the club championship. Felt a lot better to shoot 80. 10 shots better than yesterday. Didn't make any birdies, only one double. Had a great bogey save on #7 after some serious rough issues. Only one 3 putt today, but sucked that it was on the 18th green and par would've netted me a 79. I believe the leader (+4 index) shot 75-73 so far. Hoping I can crack the top 10 with another good round tomorrow. 

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Kpaulhus/round/1126468

Kyle Paulhus

5 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

Just finished Round 2 of the club championship. Felt a lot better to shoot 80. 10 shots better than yesterday. Didn't make any birdies, only one double. Had a great bogey save on #7 after some serious rough issues. Only one 3 putt today, but sucked that it was on the 18th green and par would've netted me a 79. I believe the leader (+4 index) shot 75-73 so far. Hoping I can crack the top 10 with another good round tomorrow. 

Nice recovery from the first day. Hopefully you shave another few strokes off the score tomorrow.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

On 8/20/2016 at 2:10 PM, kpaulhus said:

I'm with @Jeremie Boop, good job coming back from a tough first round.  By this time you're probably done, I hope today was the best day of the three.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Ended up with two dumb triples today shooting 86. It was windy and twice on par 3's I didn't have enough club which ended up in the water. 

It was a very exciting finish as a former club champion was 6 shots back from the defending champion and shot 68 to force a playoff. Our defending champion hit it in the drink on 18, then got up and down from 130 yards to stay tied. The former (mr 68) birdies the first playoff hole to win. Fantastic finish. 

I finished T14, and am not disappointed at all. Everyone in the flight is a better golfer than me, and I have a lot of positive things going my way. I had 6 birdie putts inside 10 ft and either misread them or left them on the lip right left or short. So no birdies on the card today. Had a tough lie on 17 in the rough and opened up my 56* which eventually turned out to be a flier lie. Over the green. I didn't know if it was going to come out soft into the bunker or hot and fly the green. Downhill pitch ran way past the flag and ended up with a 6. Hit a huge drive on 18 leaving me 250 out. Another bad 5ft birdie putt on 18 lead to a par. 

Final bad news is I got edged out of the Arkansas cup team (our club vs sister club) by one point. I thought 22 stableford pts over 3 rounds was going to be enough so I didn't opt in today to try and score more. Got nudged by a guy who shot a great round. Might get on the team if someone can't make it, but I was bummed to hear I didn't qualify. It's been a hell of a golf season for me. I'm very proud of the way my game has evolved this year. I can only go up with more time, practice, and experience. Here's to killing it in 2017. 

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Kyle Paulhus

Congrats on the round @Golfingdad ... and grr on them for telling you where you stood. :-(

• Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

15 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

After a long wait through drinks and appetizers, dinner, raffle prizes, and the lower flights, we finally learned that we, in fact, won the A flight of the tournament!  With that comes a little cash, but the best part is we get our names on the big trophy that lives in their clubhouse trophy case year round.

Edit: (Oh, I almost forgot ... I shot ever par!  Not anything exceptional handicap/slope for that course-wise, but hey, it's still par!)

Congratulations on both, even par as well as winning.  :beer:

Our club championship is run over Labor Day weekend, and the seeding rounds are over now.  I've found out that in my first match I get to play a 14-year old kid with a great swing and overall solid game.  He'll have the advantage of length, but I've played a whole lot more golf than he has.  It should be a fun match.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

2 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Our club championship is run over Labor Day weekend, and the seeding rounds are over now.  I've found out that in my first match I get to play a 14-year old kid with a great swing and overall solid game.  He'll have the advantage of length, but I've played a whole lot more golf than he has.  It should be a fun match.

Good luck!  I am looking forward to next year finally trying out several of the club tournaments at my home course.  They have a match play event that runs all spring and summer (if you keep winning) that I plan on entering, as well as the club championship next summer as well.

And as long as I can keep the 'cap coming down, I will be entering the appropriate SCGA and related qualifiers for more experience. :)

12 minutes ago, Big C said:

Net 58?? You sandbaggers! Nice round Drew, glad to hear it. 

56 ;)

It was pretty entertaining watching my father in laws friends harass him the entire time about his handicap (28).  The funny thing to me, though, is that he had 4 GIR, which lead to the 3 pars and one birdie, and that seems to me to be exceptionally good for him, however, he still didn't even shoot his handicap.  He finished with a 97 or 98 and that's something close to a 30 differential.

42 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Congratulations on both, even par as well as winning.  :beer:

Good luck Dave, give the kids hell on the course.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones